Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Cultures-collide-on-a-buffalo-hunt-down-under....

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Cultures-collide-on-a-buffalo-hunt-down-under....
      #315340 - 16/04/18 11:43 PM

To my Friends down under..Thoughts on this???

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2018/4/14/cultures-collide-on-a-buffalo-hunt-down-under/

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Wayne59
.400 member

Reged: 20/06/15
Loc: Lagrange Ga. USA
Re: Cultures-collide-on-a-buffalo-hunt-down-under.... [Re: Ripp]
      #315355 - 17/04/18 06:03 AM

Nice read.

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Cultures-collide-on-a-buffalo-hunt-down-under.... [Re: Wayne59]
      #315357 - 17/04/18 07:27 AM

Thanks Ripp, very good read!
Hopefully one year I'll get the chance to do so & what a marvellous old bull too!
As ol' mate quite aptly put, never assume they are going to just roll over!
Yes most of the best hunting is in Arnhem land or under Aboriginal control, so it is best to work with everyone rather so as to achieve the end result.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Cultures-collide-on-a-buffalo-hunt-down-under.... [Re: 93x64mm]
      #315378 - 18/04/18 01:00 AM

Good read.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Heelerau
.300 member

Reged: 31/01/17
Loc: Australia
Re: Cultures-collide-on-a-buffalo-hunt-down-under.... [Re: DarylS]
      #316933 - 30/05/18 10:26 AM

A late mate of mine , actually a cowboy from Montana who migrated to the top end on Australia in the mid 1960's finished up a quadraplegic after a cow buff hooked him in the leg as he went back over the stockyard rails. He had gone into the yard to rescue the owners toddler who had somehow got into the yard and was about to get stomped. He tossed the kid out to safety when he got caught by the cow. They have a vicious swing to their horns. That was at Hidden Valley back in the mid 1970's. He gave me his Remington Mod 700 chambered for .358 Norma Mag. He had shot a lot of buff with it as a 300 H and H but found it a bit light, so when the barrel was finally shot out he had it redone in the afore mentioned caliber.

--------------------
Keep your horse well shod and your powder dry !

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Cultures-collide-on-a-buffalo-hunt-down-under.... [Re: Heelerau]
      #316935 - 30/05/18 02:06 PM

Quote:

Even though the buffalo is an introduced species and is often the subject of eradication efforts by the government, the “blackfellows” (as Aboriginals call themselves) have embraced the buffalo and made it part of their culture. He told me of the “Buffalo Dreaming” and the story of how the white buffalo led the herd into their part of northern Australia for the benefit of his people.

“The buffalo came over the Blue Mountains through Mangurra to Marrklawa. They call him Bredalla,” Henry said. “Now the white buffalo is ceremony.” Ceremonies have been part of Aboriginal culture since it began 40,000 years ago; to have included the buffalo illustrates how they can adapt to change with their always-evolving culture.

I found this interesting.

Quote:

The history of the buffalo in Australia is a bit convoluted, I suspect due to politics. According to the Internet, the Australian government states: “Water buffalo were imported to Australia in the 19th century to supply meat to remote northern settlements. The settlements and their buffalo were abandoned in 1949 and, despite harvesting for meat, hides and as hunters’ trophies, feral buffalo spread across the northern floodplains.”

I understood that to mean the buffalo were not wild until after 1949.

More like 1849 ....

Quote:

The settlers and convicts soon found that the natives were anything but friendly. Apart from the problems with the Tiwi Aborigines there were the white ants and the occasional cyclone which made life rather difficult. The soil was good but there were no animals to do the heavy work. Water buffalo were imported from Timor and they became the nucleus of the herd which was later transferred to the Cobourg Peninsula.

In 1827 Major John Campbell arrived to take command but relations with the Aborigines deteriorated all the time. Dr John Gold and storekeeper John Green were speared to death. The fort was abandoned in 1828 and by February 1829 the Tiwi Aborigines were once again in control of their land.

and

Quote:

In 1846 Father Angelo Confalonieri became the first Catholic priest to come to the Northern Territory to establish the Church at Victoria. He died two years later without having been able to carry out his objectives. Victoria, and Fort Essington with it, was abandoned on 1 December 1849.

Quote:

the “blackfellows” (as Aboriginals call themselves)

No, it is "blackfellas". Like you be "whitefella"!

I don't regard either water buffalo or cape buffalo as particularly dangerous, unless wounded. Doesn't stop either from getting "aggro". I have shot 19 water buffalo, and a grande whole ONE cape buffalo. Been among cape buffalo several times and trips, one other hunt for them, where I just shot elephant instead, and never got onto the cape buffalo. Some scrub bulls and a banteng.

Now its funny when I think about, the first and the last water buffalo had issues. The first ever water buffalo I did not shoot, but we did get out of his way. He was aggro, and brought down a tree with his horn. A gnarly old broomed off bull. Not a charge, he was standing staring at us at a few metres, at Matt Graham and I. Never really wrote this before but Matt's borrowed rifle from Bob Penfold, had jammed, so I covered the bull while he tried to clear the rifle. The bull advanced, we retreated, happened several times. Before we backed out and away. I regretted not shooting that old, he would have looked good on the wall. But did get a find big beast a couple of days later.

And my last bull did try to kill me. Wrote about that elsewhere. As I had wounded him. First bull that I shot that had got away and run off. All the others, most shot more than once, never got far. The big rifles do that. And that is when these beasts get dangerous, when they are wounded, and you have to follow them up, and especially if it is in thicker bush. The exception is the rule, so any big beast is dangerous. Scrub bulls charge IMO far more than any buffalo. But are perhaps easier to put down.

As for the cape bersus water buffalo debate. I haven't shot enough of either. But some Africans say the water buffalo is harder to kill. The cape is more dangerous they say.

BTW Aussies like to downplay any danger - "Sure mate, no problem, your .22 is easily enuff!" And Boers like to brag, "Toes cap biffalo will kell you man! Nine times outta ten, youll be dead! Then dunt come complainin to me!"

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Cultures-collide-on-a-buffalo-hunt-down-under.... [Re: NitroX]
      #316938 - 30/05/18 02:21 PM

the african buffalo is more agressive because the permanent presence of big cats makes him nervous. the australian water buffalo on the other side have nothing that disturp his life style so he is very relaxed.
put some bengal tiger in this area and the constant threat will change his temper to the point he think its better to attack any sign of danger.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Cultures-collide-on-a-buffalo-hunt-down-under.... [Re: lancaster]
      #316939 - 30/05/18 02:34 PM

I think the biology of the two buffalo may also be different. At least the claims about the ribs of a cape buffalo overlapping. Never butchered a water buffalo to that extent to know. But 99% sure they have ribs like normal cattle, probably heavier though.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
      #316943 - 30/05/18 03:47 PM

Quote:

the “blackfellows” (as Aboriginals call themselves) have embraced the buffalo and made it part of their culture. He told me of the “Buffalo Dreaming” and the story of how the white buffalo led the herd into their part of northern Australia for the benefit of his people.

“Now the white buffalo is ceremony.” Ceremonies have been part of Aboriginal culture since it began 40,000 years ago; to have included the buffalo illustrates how they can adapt to change with their always-evolving culture.

Very interesting.

To many of the 'American Indians' (so called because Columbus was lost), particularly the Sioux and other nations of the Great Plains, the 'white buffalo' has long been held sacred as well.

White Buffalo

These, of course, aren't 'buffalo' at all - they are American Bison.

Smithsonian Bison

'Bison Nickel'
This fella's not a buffalo, he's a Bison
(Black Diamond, an American Bison that resided at the New York Zoo).

'Buffalo' (American Bison) skulls awaiting shipment to Eastern factories, ca. 1870s.

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Cultures-collide-on-a-buffalo-hunt-down-under.... [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #316948 - 30/05/18 05:51 PM

G'Day Fella's,

A great read Ripp, thanks for sharing.

D'oh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Cultures-collide-on-a-buffalo-hunt-down-under.... [Re: lancaster]
      #316967 - 31/05/18 01:55 PM

Quote:

the african buffalo is more agressive because the permanent presence of big cats makes him nervous. the australian water buffalo on the other side have nothing that disturp his life style so he is very relaxed.
put some bengal tiger in this area and the constant threat will change his temper to the point he think its better to attack any sign of danger.

I have shot several cape--no water..but, have been told the same thing..constantly being hunted by cats...have witnessed the cats taking down a cape in Zim once..within 80 yards of where we were hiking/hunting..impressive display...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

45120Gong
.224 member

Reged: 15/03/18
Loc: Australia
Re: Cultures-collide-on-a-buffalo-hunt-down-under.... [Re: Ripp]
      #345160 - 18/09/20 05:05 AM

We do have a few crocs and dingos that may give the smaller ones some curry

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Cultures-collide-on-a-buffalo-hunt-down-under.... [Re: 45120Gong]
      #345176 - 18/09/20 12:42 PM

Quote:

If that’s not enough, another local man was nearly killed by a wild ox he had wounded with an insufficient rifle cartridge around the same time. He too was saved by the quick and heroic actions of his hunting companion.

A good point in the article. When the small calibre buffalo guys shoot one and it runs off, we never hear about it. Sometimes the buff might run towards you, not away.

Quote:

I have only hunted Australian buffalo once, but I have hunted Cape buffalo multiple times. If I had based my opinions on the first three Cape buffalo I shot, I would have said they were not dangerous and were easy to kill. Then I ran into No. 4, and that changed my opinion.

I agree 100% with that. 19 water buffalo and the last certainly changed my opinion. Made me even question my bovine and elephant slayer, my .450 NE Jeffery double rifle!

But Curl and I hunted since then, and my doubts had faded into the ether. Though we never ended up scoring on the very elusive and wary buffalo that trip. They have been very hard hunted in the years between trips, and were extremely wary in the cattle station country we hunted. And most of all, not enough days in country, as the property owner messed us around a bit. A day or two extra and IMO not a problem. Hell we found cow buffalo a short walk away from camp, the last evening, no need to drive lots of kms.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
      #346367 - 31/10/20 09:25 AM

G'Day Fella's (both Black, Blick and White),

Thanks for sharing Ripp,

I met Glen Griffen, 10+ years ago now. He's a nice bloke, and sorry to hear about this attack.

Mates of mine have guided people on Water Buffalo, in the NT, and I was told by them, that there is no such this as Over Kill on them.
One of them (DN - Guiding for Bob Penfold, of Hunt Australia), suggested to me, if I can shoot a .458 Win Mag accurately, that would be a good choice!
So Yes, they are a Big and Dangerous animal!

DN also relayed to me, about the time after a Bull Buff had been shot by a client, how it run off a short distance, and died in a Billabong (an isolated water course/creek/pool, after the rest of the creek had dried out, during the dry season/Winter).
He had to get in the water, to cape out and butcher the Buff at dusk, while others where keeping an eye out for the Crocodiles, that lived in this Billabong!
No need to say, that it was the quickest caping/butchering job, he had ever done!

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Cultures-collide-on-a-buffalo-hunt-down-under.... [Re: Homer]
      #346375 - 31/10/20 02:54 PM

Well, Bison or Buffalo, all I know, is I've got me a Buff'ler riffle and by God, it be a Sharps.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5556

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com