Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A days hunting in the high country

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
VonGruff
.400 member

Reged: 08/02/09
Loc: South Otago, New Zealand.
A days hunting in the high country
      #295823 - 25/02/17 06:53 AM

A friend from down south is coming to join me for a hunt into the high country next week so today I thought I had better get out and sort a load for the 6.5x57. I had 123gh A-Max, SST, 120gn TTSX and 139gn SPBT Privipartisan bullets and chose to go with the Privi bullet. I loaded up 10 at the starting load of 42gn ADI 2209 (H4350) to get the scope dialed in but that only took 4 to have it sitting 1 inch high at 100 yds.
My ladder test loads were in .4 gn increments from 42 up to 46.4 which according to QL would give me 2812fps at 57K psi.
Normally I like to do the ladder test at 200yds but thought I would get a reasonable reading at the shorter distance and it proved to be the case. You can see that shots 1 through 7 are hitting high which means that the bullet is leaving the barrel at the top of the oscilation, shot 8 is at the bottom of the vibration swing but shots 9to 12 are in the center where the barrel is "at rest" There is every possibility that there is some shooter induced windage error as this is not a target trigger but even so to have 11 of 12 shots go into 1 1/2 x 1 5/8 with a varience of 4.4gn of powder is a reasonably good result (or at east I thought so. I have loaded the remaining brass at 46.2gn which should get me right on 2800fps and that is not a bad velocity for the 139gn bullet which should deal handily with the goats and be good to go for deer up to wapiti size if the accasion arrises.
Shots 10, 11 and 12 (with different powder charges) have gone into a 1/2 inch so confidence is reasonably high that this build has been a real sucess.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Edited by VonGruff (25/02/17 06:55 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
VonGruff
.400 member

Re: A days hunting in the high country [Re: VonGruff]
      #295824 - 25/02/17 06:56 AM

Yesterday turned out to be 18 hrs of slog but arrived home tired with meat. The day started out at 4.15am when I woke and started breakfast for Foster and me so we could get away by 5. This got us up to the first saddle in the high country at first light where deer had been seen once or twice. We walked and glassed for a while but there was nothing seen and as it was way too early for them to have been bedded down it was soon obvious that there were none in the area. I had heard from the station owner that he had cought a chopper pilot hazing deer off the property toward another area where his friends were allowed to hunt as this station is 27,200 acres of private land that is only accesable to those of us who the owner has given keys to the locked gates.
With no deer we came back down to the lower part of the property and spent the rest of the morning getting a bag of rabbits which were jointed and washed at the mountain creek (beautiful clear cold water) and where we had lunch.
It was then on up another 2500ft elevation and into the bluff system where we wanted to have the first look for goats. We stopped a couple of times on the way in to glass some of the steep stuff that ran over 1000 yds down to the little Nevis river. There were two or three little mobs of 1/2 dozen or so that we saw but that area is very steep and with them being 6-8 hundred yards down with no way to stalk without being seen, we gave them a miss, which in all reality was a good thing as it would have been more than my old legs could have taken to get away down there and carry up any animals we managed to recover.
We carried round to where we have had some good shooting over the years and after leaving the truck walked into the head of the bluffs where we spotted a lone animal so stalked into position over some big rocks for the shot but when we got there we saw the rest of the little mob were in the same gulley system so when we were both ready, the first shot was fired and very quickly thereafter a few more till it all went quiet. We could hear one on the far side of the gut and Foster started the clamber to get round to it and the other two that were over that side while I started the gutting nd head removal of the 4 that fell in the nearer face. (Foster being 10 years younger than my 65 did the honourable young guy thing and took the hardest retrieval) I got my four done and carried the first two with the rifle back to the truck then came back for the second pair and when I had got back again Foster had got the other three back to the first saddle and as we stood there taking a break and a drink of the water that I had bought back, in we saw another little mob on the rocks above us but we both decided that seven was about all we would really need and besides after the hard yaka of the retrieval and carry out of the ones we already had it was going to be just a bit much for the tired bodies to climb away up to get the other lot, so we watched them for a while till the wandered off. I slung one of the remaining three over my shoulder and his rifle while he carried the last two and we made our way back to the truck to a very welcome hot drink.

This was the area that the main action took place

All of them back at the truck so I set up the skinning rack and the boning table and we set to work with Foster doing the skinning and I did the boning out. All of them had the back legs kept for roasts with the rest boned out to be made into sausage and salami so the meat container I carry was full

Skinning rack

Boning table

And a bit of video and while in I say we are going up to the next basin our tired bodies countermanded the intention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmrH5TB5adM&feature=youtu.be

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Edited by VonGruff (25/02/17 07:02 AM)

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #295825 - 25/02/17 07:23 AM

No wonder you were both buggered old mate, bloody billy goat country that is for sure,
Good to see you out & about again.
Looks like the loads went well too!
Good set up on the truck, all fold away/pack up easily.
Need a good celebratory drink after that haul.
Cheers
93x64mm

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: A days hunting in the high country [Re: 93x64mm]
      #295874 - 26/02/17 09:01 AM

Lots of hard yakka. Good to see all the goat meat being used. Interesting they are mostly all black goats. Is that normal?

If I had a boning table like that, nice wood by the way, I would probably forget it was there and drive off without removing it.

Good idea for the skinning post as well.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: A days hunting in the high country [Re: NitroX]
      #295884 - 26/02/17 10:28 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Von Gruff, good to see you have been out for a hunt.
The Otago hills still look great and their usual steep selves.
As Aussies, we really do take our Tree's for granted (hence your skinning rack).

FYI, a mate of mine in North Canterbury, uses Nosler 120grn B/Tips and 120grn Sierra bullets in his .260 Rem, for Fallow, Reds etc.

Well done and thank you for sharing.

Regards
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

VonGruff
.400 member

Re: A days hunting in the high country [Re: Homer]
      #295895 - 26/02/17 03:55 PM

Yes mostly black in this area but on another station I hunted a while back there were a lot of white ones that had a background in the angora goats that had gone ferel and influenced the local wild populations.

This was some from another mob on the same station on a previous hunt, and before I did the skinning rack and boning table

--------------------
Von Gruff.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #295897 - 26/02/17 05:11 PM

Great pictures - good video(s). Watched a couple.

That's quite a rig with the front mounted table and side mounted skinning rack. Certainly gives me some ideas for my pickup truck - probably attach to the canopy rack.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

cordite
.333 member

Reged: 29/01/07
Loc: NW Montana
Re: A days hunting in the high country [Re: DarylS]
      #295960 - 28/02/17 02:41 AM

Good to see some real professionals who can cleanly process their game in the field like that. Too many so called hunters care only about the kill and waste the meat through ignorance, incompetence or pure laziness. Well done!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: A days hunting in the high country [Re: cordite]
      #295961 - 28/02/17 02:59 AM

Quote:

Good to see some real professionals who can cleanly process their game in the field like that. Too many so called hunters care only about the kill and waste the meat through ignorance, incompetence or pure laziness. Well done!

I remember on one "popular" Aust "hunting" forum, the Admin arsewipe would pop in with bile and rudeness and swear at people if one asked "Did you use any of the meat/venison?" With usually something like "Why the ffff should they? They are only ffffing deer/goats/etc. Leave then to rot."

Of course this guy only hunts from his armchair.

There is a good way to influence future generations, show respect to the game, be a hunter, like Von Gruff does. And ways to do the opposite.

A mate I have not seen for some years, and a member on NE from years ago, Orion, had a table like that for his Landcruiser. It very nicely fitted to his bull bar. On the top bar of his bull bar he had welded a small metal open topped box in his sharpening stone fitted into.

Other stuff too customised on his vehicle. All very useful.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

VonGruff
.400 member

Re: A days hunting in the high country [Re: NitroX]
      #296110 - 02/03/17 09:15 PM

Today was a long one with all the meat cubed this morning and then the grinding was done. I grind all the meat through the coars plate twice then what is going to be sausages gets ground through the fine plate as well. These are a few videos of the days effort and results.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YecYCaS3ao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AC-8cXC6zo&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMGbNRjClos&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8pdv6VfACk&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhIG3ciyuO4&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a63vOyQm45Y&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_B7ebe4JAY&feature=youtu.be

--------------------
Von Gruff.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #296113 - 03/03/17 01:45 AM

Well done, quite a process.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3547

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com