Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hunting NT Water Buffalo in December

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
TOBY458
.300 member

Reged: 23/01/14
Loc: Georgia, USA
Hunting NT Water Buffalo in December
      #271496 - 08/10/15 10:26 AM

I have been offered an opening to hunt water buffalo near Darwin during December. Do any of you have an opinion on whether or not this is a decent time of the year to hunt? I know it's hot and humid during that time, but is it bad enough to make waiting until next year a better idea?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Hunting NT Water Buffalo in December [Re: TOBY458]
      #271499 - 08/10/15 11:52 AM

I would ask what will happen if you can't hunt because of the weather. This is the wet season, hot humid and wet and I would hunt during this time but I except that It might to wet to move vehicles so all hunting is on foot. Also chance of a cyclone.

TOBY458
.300 member

Re: Hunting NT Water Buffalo in December [Re: Rule303]
      #271501 - 08/10/15 12:34 PM

The outfitter says it would probably not be that wet. It's on private land, so maybe he has good roads? BTW, the outfitter is Matt Kelman with Australia Wide Safaris. He also said it's a good time to find a good bull, because all of the water is dried up, and the bulls will be more concentrated on the available water holes.

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
      #271504 - 08/10/15 01:50 PM

Toby it will be very hot and humid, especially near Darwin. I find even fit people can struggle in the heat and humidity here if not accustomed to it and we are further south. Can be correct about the water holes but I think Darwin has already been getting some rain so I would check that out. I have also found that when they hang around the water the bulls mix in with more other animals than usual and it can be hard to stalk in close as opposed to finding a lone bull. We do get the bulk of our rain later on but its a big call to say it will probably not be that wet. I think there will be enough rain around Darwin before then to negate the available water holes theory. If you hunt in December you will earn it.

TOBY458
.300 member

Re: Hunting NT Water Buffalo in December [Re: Claydog]
      #271507 - 08/10/15 02:45 PM

Thanks for the info! I kind of had a feeling that it may be best to wait until cooler, dryer weather. I live in a hot, humid place myself, during our summer months, but I don't hunt in it much.
I assume May-August would be the best hunting there?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #271508 - 08/10/15 02:51 PM

Quote:

He also said it's a good time to find a good bull, because all of the water is dried up, and the bulls will be more concentrated on the available water holes.

I'm not an expert and not a Top End resident lik Clayton, but that sounds like what someone would say in August not December. Unless there is no rain at all during the start of the "WET".

I have hunted late November on the Coast, and it rained - thunderstorms - every afternoon. It was close between 35 and 40 deg C every day and very high humidity. You are completely soaked through with sweat after a short time of walking/hunting. At least I was. I hunted with Matt Graham and he had at leas two showers at day. You need to carry a lot of water. We hunted on the coast on the Cobourg Peninsula and at least we had cooling breezes off the sea. Inland it might be quite horrible. Some Greek hunters hunting buffalo near Katherine flew up from Adelaide and flew back same flights as me. Tougher me than me. It would have been an oven inland at Katherine at the time.

Ha ha, if you are used to tropical hot climates during the monsoon season, go for it.

BUT make sure there is road access. Only properties that have good all season road access are generally huntable during the WET. Stations can be cut off by flooding and by river crossings being flooded or road culverts being silted up. Station tracks might be impassable. I know one guy, an NE member we haven't seen for years, who claims to hunt every Christmas but you do need WET season access. Generally closer to Darwin.

Where does Matt Kelman say you will be hunting?

As mentioned December is within the Cyclone (typhoon/hurricane) season.

A different time to hunt for sure.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Hunting NT Water Buffalo in December [Re: Claydog]
      #271510 - 08/10/15 02:56 PM

Quote:

If you hunt in December you will earn it.

I love this statement.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

TOBY458
.300 member

Re: Hunting NT Water Buffalo in December [Re: NitroX]
      #271513 - 08/10/15 10:11 PM

The hunt would take place at Carmor Plains. It is a 2.5 hour ride just east of Darwin. Check out his site www.australiawidesafaris.com.au.
I'm most likely going to wait and hunt next year, at this point. If I'm spending that kind of money, I want it to be good hunting.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#271514 - 08/10/15 10:51 PM

Me looking very cool in late November.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rule303
.416 member

#271522 - 09/10/15 01:28 AM

Quote:

The hunt would take place at Carmor Plains. It is a 2.5 hour ride just east of Darwin. Check out his site www.australiawidesafaris.com.au.
I'm most likely going to wait and hunt next year, at this point. If I'm spending that kind of money, I want it to be good hunting.

Each to their own and we all have different ideas about what constitute good hunting. Me I would go as it would be good hunting to me. That is extremely challenging and if I missed out on an animal because of the weather, well that's all part of the challenge and adventure of free range hunting to me.

TOBY458
.300 member

Re: Hunting NT Water Buffalo in December [Re: Rule303]
      #271539 - 09/10/15 06:12 AM

I see your point Rule303. But if I'm paying $12-15K total, with airfair, for a hunt, I want the best chance possible for an enjoyable hunt and a successful one as well. In short.... I like to pull the trigger....;)

gwh
.333 member

Reged: 28/01/08
Loc: Cairns Australia
      #271561 - 09/10/15 09:44 PM

I hunt the NT With reasonable frequency and would give December a miss. You will be far enough North to have a fair risk of too much water as indicated by earlier replies. That said with elninio in force this season it might be ok. If I had the option I'd tend to think Sept / Oct are the best months.

Cheers

--------------------
Hunt hard, shoot straight

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim"

Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, 1910

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Hunting NT Water Buffalo in December [Re: gwh]
      #271596 - 10/10/15 06:27 PM

Quote:

If I had the option I'd tend to think Sept / Oct are the best months.

Note for Northern Hemisphere friends, even from those further South in the USA, September is a step up in heat from August and October a step up from September.

The reason, June to August are popular months for client hunting.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#271598 - 10/10/15 06:35 PM

Hi Toby, I know you have seen this on your other thread. Reading some of this might explain how Kelman can operate in December.

The location. The air boat etc.

Quote:

Anyone Hunted With Matt Kelman at Australia Wide Safaris?
PapaScarface:
An older thread, but incase anyone is weighing up a hunt with Matt from Australia wide safaris.

I have hunted with Matt multiple times now and would recommend it to anyone thinking of chasing a big bull buffalo or anyone looking for a trophy boar, banteng or scrubber. Matt also offers seasonal fishing for barra and has the use of an airboat to access the floodplains. You can expect to see large numbers of buff and pig each day. With most of the hunting done early morning or late arvo to avoid the mid day heat.

The property itself is about 100,000 acres about 1 1/2hr from darwin by car with pick up or drop off available from your hotel.
And has a very large 2 story lodge over looking the floodplains. The accommodation is very comfortable and each cabin is air conditioned.

Matt is a wonderful guide who has plenty of knowledge on hunting here and abroad. And is always full of helpful advice.

Matt also offers the chance to hunt with double rifles for those interested in an open sight big bore adventure.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rule303
.416 member

#271604 - 10/10/15 08:21 PM

Quote:

I see your point Rule303. But if I'm paying $12-15K total, with airfair, for a hunt, I want the best chance possible for an enjoyable hunt and a successful one as well. In short.... I like to pull the trigger....;)

With that sort of money I understand where you are coming from.

When ever you go, enjoy the hunt and post a report please.

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #272060 - 24/10/15 04:41 PM

Quote:

Then don't hunt there at that time of the season. Oh, and down in that swampland their will be SOME Mosquitos.
Great time and place for catching Barramundi though.

Edited by ozhunter (24/10/15 04:44 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Hunting NT Water Buffalo in December [Re: ozhunter]
      #272067 - 24/10/15 05:40 PM

Quote:

Oh, and down in that swampland their will be SOME Mosquitos.
Great time and place for catching Barramundi though.

I wish I took a photo of my back after the hunt at Gan Gan. It was one huge mozzie bite. Mosquitos like my blood for some reason ...

Interesting about the barramundi. Didn't know that. I let a one way airticket go to waste once but thought a quick flight at Christmas/New Years or later might be fun. During the Wet. The fishing might have tipped the difference. The rest of the $$$ required tipped it the other way at the time.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #272091 - 25/10/15 04:34 AM

As far as hunting Australia, it would have to be your winter months for me.

When it's hot in the summer, even here in Northern B.C. - temps of 25/26 have me sitting in the shade drinking beer.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

TonyD227
.300 member

Reged: 09/07/15
Loc: NSW Australia
Re: Hunting NT Water Buffalo in December [Re: DarylS]
      #272190 - 26/10/15 05:50 PM

That makes you the smart one Daryl

I lived in Darwin for 4 years and sitting in the tinny fishing on Corroboree Billabong is about as active as I would want to be in Oct/Nov, never in Dec.

--------------------
When to much recoil is just not enough.

Edited by TonyD227 (26/10/15 05:54 PM)

TOBY458
.300 member

Re: Hunting NT Water Buffalo in December [Re: TonyD227]
      #272714 - 06/11/15 04:20 AM

Well it looks like I'm going to do the December hunt. Wish me luck! Matt tells me he actually prefers December to hunt buffalo, due to easier tracking and the water holes being more easily located. He tells me that is the best time for a really big bull. I live in a hot climate myself, so maybe I can tough it out. We'll see.

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
      #272737 - 06/11/15 02:32 PM

Quote:

Well it looks like I'm going to do the December hunt. Wish me luck! Matt tells me he actually prefers December to hunt buffalo, due to easier tracking and the water holes being more easily located. He tells me that is the best time for a really big bull. I live in a hot climate myself, so maybe I can tough it out. We'll see.

Maybe, but bring PLENTY of 'Mozzie' repellent, you will need it... A gallon should suffice

TOBY458
.300 member

Re: Hunting NT Water Buffalo in December [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #272762 - 07/11/15 12:51 AM

I'm sure the skeeterz will be rough, but I would imagine they're bad most of the year.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#272775 - 07/11/15 02:11 AM

Quote:

water holes being more easily located

I do find this extraordinary if it rains and the Wet has astarted but in any case ....

Bushman's is a good mosquito repellant. RID next and Aeroguard close to useless in the tropics. Bushmans comes in a couple percentages of DEET. The Australian Army has a repellant in plain green tubes that has enough DEET to melt plastic. That would be the most effective.

Moquitoes in the Territory can sting through a normal cotton safari shirt. So the areas of skin covered can still get stung. I learned that the hard way.

Bring a head/face net to put over your hat or face. Not for when hunting but if you have a rest can give some protection.

I haven't hunted there later than November. I did hunt in September on a coastal cattle station for pigs. In many area no problems with too many mosquitoes but some areas they swarmed us by the clouds of hundreds. And of course at night they come out everywhere.

Hunting Cobourg in end of November I don't remember mosquitoes being a big problem at all. The sea breezes may have helped.

I really look forward to seeing your photos and read your stories. It should be a different and exciting hunt to read about. Good luck.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Gaff
.224 member

Reged: 05/08/11
Loc: Darwin NT
      #272893 - 08/11/15 11:12 PM

Currently it is very dry out that way, I was hunting out there (not far away) only 3 days ago and water is definitely scarce with only the more permanent water holes remaining, there has been the odd shower of rain but the weather people are predicting a late and poor wet this year so you will probably be ok, no doubt there will be the odd storm but I doubt it will be enough to hamper you too much. It will be very hot though!

Edited by Gaff (08/11/15 11:13 PM)

TOBY458
.300 member

Re: Hunting NT Water Buffalo in December [Re: Gaff]
      #272930 - 09/11/15 01:30 PM

Yes. Matt tells me it has been dryer than normal so far. He also, tells me that over the last several years there is typically not enough rain fall by,or during December to cause any problems. He says the water doesn't become a problem until later in the wet season. As for the heat, he says we will hunt morning and evening only, so we avoid the heat of the day. His lodge is air conditioned, so night time should be comfortable.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5477

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com