Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Game Council NSW disbanded

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Game Council NSW disbanded
      #232226 - 09/07/13 01:25 AM

Game Council NSW disbanded

On Thursday 4 July 2013 the NSW Government announced it will implement the key changes to Game Council NSW recommended by the independent Governance Review of the Game Council of NSW by Steve Dunn.
The changes are designed to improve the functions previously carried out by Game Council NSW and also acknowledge hunting as a legitimate recreational activity.
The report found that Game Council NSW had an ‘inherent conflict associated with its functions to both represent the interests of hunters, and to regulate their activities’.
Therefore the NSW Government said it will immediately take the following actions:
• Transfer the licensing, regulatory, enforcement, education and policy functions into the NSW Department of Primary Industries (DPI); and
• Establish an advisory Game Board that will undertake stakeholder engagement and representation, advocate hunting, advise on research priorities and commission research, and provide independent advice to Government.
The Director General of NSW Trade & Investment, Mr Mark Paterson AO, will become the Division Head of the Game Council Division in the interim to oversee the integration of functions into DPI.

Suspension of State forest hunting

The NSW Government also announced it will immediately suspend hunting in all 400 State forests, pending the transfer of functions and the outcome of a risk assessment.
This means that individuals with written permission to hunt on declared public land areas such as State forests and Crown Lands must no longer do so and must abide by the suspension until further advised.
Game Council and the Forestry Corporation of NSW will be contacting licence holders who have booked Written Permissions as soon as possible.
Advice is also being sought from the NSW Government on the status of licensing arrangements.

Game Bird Management Program

Game Bird Management regulatory functions will continue to be undertaken by the Office of Environment and Heritage in 2013 and will transfer to DPI in 2014.
Updates on the changes to Game Council NSW will be published on the website www.gamecouncil.nsw.gov.au. Game Council will also communicate changes to licence holders via email. If you would like to add an email address to your licence, or update your address, please email info@gamecouncil.nsw.gov.au

Review report

The Governance Review of the Game Council of NSW by Steve Dunn and the NSW Government’s response are also published on the website.

R-licence refunds
The NSW Government has advised that refunds are available on NSW Restricted (not General) Game Hunting Licence applications and renewals under limited circumstances.
Please note that the NSW R-licence will continue to convey the same provisions as a NSW G-Licence (General Game Hunting Licence) relating to the hunting of game animals (including deer) and gaining access to duck mitigation on the NSW rice fields.
If your NSW Restricted Game Hunting Licence application or renewal was processed in the one month from Tuesday 4 June 2013 to Thursday 4 July 2013, you are eligible for a full refund of your licence fee.
Please download, fill in all the required information, and submit the R-licence Refund Request Form to Game Council NSW. This form is available on the Game Council NSW website www.gamecouncil.nsw.gov.au
For licences processed one month ago or earlier, the NSW Government has made the following commitments:
1. If access to State forests or Crown Lands is permitted in the next six months, your NSW Restricted Game Hunting Licence will be extended for the equivalent time of the suspension.
2. If access to State forests or Crown Lands is not permitted in the next six months you will be entitled to a pro-rata refund for the time you have been unable to use your licence.
REFUNDS WILL NOT BE PAID FOR NSW GENERAL GAME HUNTING LICENCES.
All NSW Game Hunting Licences may still be used to hunt game animals on private land, with the permission of the landholder, and are still a pre-requisite for participation in duck mitigation in the NSW rice fields under the NSW Game Bird Management Program administered by NPWS. NSW Game Hunting Licences will also continue to provide holders with $20 million Public Liability Insurance.
If your R licence application has been recently lodged with Game Council, however not yet processed, you may instruct Game Council to either return the form to you or to proceed with your application.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Game Council NSW disbanded [Re: NitroX]
      #232259 - 09/07/13 02:10 PM

Game Council disbanded after scathing governance review
By state political reporter Liz Foschia

Updated Fri Jul 5, 2013 9:28am AEST

Hunting on NSW public land will be banned for at least the next two months and the Game Council will be disbanded after a review into the council.

But the State Government will go ahead with its plan to allow volunteer hunters in national parts as part of a pest control program.

A highly critical report into the governance of the Game Council found its position as regulator, promoter and operator of hunting activities in NSW was inherently conflicted, says Primary Industries Minister Katrina Hodgkinson.

The review was ordered after the council's acting chief executive, Greg McFarland, and a volunteer were charged with illegal hunting and trespass.

The council's functions will be transferred to the Department of Primary Industries and hunting in 400 state forests and two crown lands will cease until a new advisory board can be established.

The changes will help manage the "costly and environmentally destructive" issue of pest animals, Ms Hodgkinson said.

"The overall direct economic impact of the pest animals has been conservatively estimated at $740 million annually," Ms Hodgkinson said.

"Pest animals threaten 40 per cent of fragile biodiversity in NSW. There are 388 threatened species at risk, including 154 plants, 186 animals, 17 endangered populations and 31 endangered ecological communities.

"It is impossible to place a value on this cost to the environment."

A trial of the controversial plan to allow volunteer hunters will begin in 12 parks in October.

NSW Environment Minister Robyn Parker says the trial will be regulated and managed by the National Parks and Wildlife Service, and there will be strict controls and supervision.

"Only those volunteers who have the equivalent qualifications, experience and training as national parks staff will be able to participate," Ms Parker said.

She says the parks will be closed at the time, there will be no shooting in school holidays and no participation allowed by anyone aged under 18.

NSW Opposition environment spokesman Luke Foley says Labor's objections to the plan remain the same despite the changes.

"The problem here, Labor has always maintained, is not the existence of a Game Council but throwing open our precious national park estate to amateur hunters," he said.

"Our world class national parks exist to protect our native plants and animals."

Shooters MP Robert Brown says he has not had time fully to consider the announcement.

Mr Brown is personally disappointed at the move to disband the council; he says he dreamed it up and helped write the legislation that established the body in 2002.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-04/ga...o-ahead/4800098

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #232270 - 09/07/13 10:11 PM

"But the State Government will go ahead with its plan to allow volunteer hunters in national parts as part of a pest control program.

A trial of the controversial plan to allow volunteer hunters will begin in 12 parks in October.

NSW Environment Minister Robyn Parker says the trial will be regulated and managed by the National Parks and Wildlife Service, and there will be strict controls and supervision.

"Only those volunteers who have the equivalent qualifications, experience and training as national parks staff will be able to participate," Ms Parker said."

Well talk about smoke and mirrors to stop the hunting in Nat Parks. Controlled by those who do not want and actively campaigned against hunters in the NP. They also have to have the Quals, experience and training as NP staff. Sort of cuts out more than 99% of those who wanted to hunt in the NP. "Experience" what experience and how much of it do the NP staff have.

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Game Council NSW disbanded [Re: Rule303]
      #232294 - 10/07/13 11:45 AM

Will I get my R licence fees back?

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Game Council NSW disbanded [Re: gryphon]
      #232298 - 10/07/13 05:47 PM

JG

I believe you can apply for R licence fees reimbursement.

I have a three year or five year term on mine, whatever is left on it. However I am not rushing to get a refund. That is what the O'Farrell gov't wants, the system not to be supported.

At the moment, R licence hunting in State Forests is suspended. I saw at least for two months mentioned. Who knows yet what the public service operation of it will be, or if it will be canned as well. National Parks hunting which was a new development will only be allowed for select hunters who have skills, experience and passed tests etc etc "same as NP officers" or some such crap. So the National Parks hunting will almost certainly be gone and some flim flam is being used to pretend hunting will still be allowed. But I am waiting for see what the State Forest hunting opportunities will be or if they continue.

It should be noted that O'Farrell did a deal with the Shooters and Fishers Party of NSW to allow hunting in National Parks in NSW, in return for their support for his sale of electricity assets. The SFP can now see what O'Farrell's word is worth next time he wants legislation passed through the NSW Upper House.

The person making the enquiry into the Game Council was a previous employee of the Department the Gov't is transferring the operations of the Game Council to. Some people have been questioning his "independence".

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Well_Well_Well
.333 member

Reged: 03/01/07
Loc: Australia
      #232301 - 10/07/13 06:13 PM

The fight isn't over, but it most certainly a fight.

Unfortunately this part of the world isn't particularly enlightened when it comes to the legitimacy and benefits of hunting.

Never mind, once more unto the fray!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Game Council NSW disbanded [Re: Well_Well_Well]
      #232305 - 10/07/13 06:46 PM

Some images borrowed from a fb page re Saving the Game Council's.

Yes I am one too.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#232306 - 10/07/13 06:51 PM

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#232307 - 10/07/13 06:52 PM

For those who don't know. The fox is an introduced pest species in Australia and while a great game species, is responsible for the loss of a great deal of native wildlife such as small marsupials, ground nesting birds. This fox is displayed with a bandicoot in its mouth.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#232320 - 11/07/13 01:22 AM

Some good comments by the ADA.

AUSTRALIAN DEER ASSOCIATION
MEDIA RELEASE
10/07/2013
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Hunters want a fair go!

The ADA is questioning why the NSW government needed to suspend public land hunting to deliver improvements to the administrative and governance functions of the Game Council, as suggested in the Dunn report.

ADA National President David Voss said today "The legitimacy and safety record of public land hunting in NSW was never in doubt. The Dunn report makes no mention of the need to suspend or dismantle the current arrangements for public land hunting to remediate the perceived back office shortcomings of the Game Council.”

“The ADA will be watching closely to ensure that the transition to DPI delivers the bureaucratic improvements promised as a result of this decision, and that any changes are limited to those absolutely necessary in order to address the specific issues raised by Dunn” said Mr Voss.

“Any divergence from that scope will simply prove what many of our members suspect; that the report was just a smokescreen to further some other agenda. The honest and law abiding hunters who have contributed their time and money to the NSW Government in good faith via an R license have not been afforded a fair go”.

“Given the enviable safety record enjoyed by the 20,000+ hunters operating in NSW state forests, we believe there is no need to change the current access arrangements”.

“Although not widely reported, Dunn acknowledged the good work carried out by the Game Council in the last 10 years. With a reported Gross Regional Product of $58.9 million in 2012-13, hunting provided a welcome boost to the economies of regional NSW. The opportunity cost (both social and environmental) resulting from the temporary suspension of hunting in state forests should be kept to an absolute minimum by those in Macquarie Street”.

“The Australian Deer Association has a proud history of working with government and the private sector to deliver practical deer management outcomes” Mr Voss commented. “The ADA looks forward to assisting the Game Board and DPI to meet their new obligations.”
-ENDS-

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2975

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com