Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: NZ for Red

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
NZ for Red
      #174046 - 25/01/11 07:42 AM

Well I've booked to shoot a Red stag in the North Island of NZ starting 4th April, 2011 near Taihape.

In no way is this going to be a fair dinkum hard yakka (hard work) hunt, but I do have to make some major improvements in my level of fitness. I'm not going to try to emulate the physical feats of Cinghale or other hunters his age either. It will be driving around on quad bikes and glassing for mature stags that wander out of the Ruahine ranges looking for hinds. Think of it as an 'old farts' shoot.

My Tony Small built 7x57 gets the nod with Sierra 140 SptBt's and Zeiss 2.5-10x42 #8 reticle.

I have most of the gear together for this. Knee high gatters, new water proof calf length boots c/- work, pure wool socks, wool thermal underwear, Ridgeline Roar jacket etc... but have no idea what to wear/get for pants ?

Any help appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: NZ for Red [Re: tophet1]
      #174242 - 27/01/11 05:41 PM

Mate I am thinking any of the Kiwi companies that have dry seat pants and a pair of shorts in case it is still warm.

Cheers

Greg

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: NZ for Red [Re: Rule303]
      #174249 - 27/01/11 07:06 PM

Yes, got to be prepared for warm weather, I hunter Chamois once wearing light fleece/felt like trousers by Huntech and found them too warm. That is until the sun went behind a hill.
Shorts with Polypropylene "Longjohns" are the most practical.

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: NZ for Red [Re: ozhunter]
      #174254 - 27/01/11 07:54 PM

Have fun!

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: NZ for Red [Re: Ben]
      #174261 - 27/01/11 08:33 PM

John.
I just wore long thermal pants with shorts over the top.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

tophet1
.400 member

Re: NZ for Red [Re: FATBOY404]
      #174303 - 28/01/11 09:56 AM

Quote:

John.
I just wore long thermal pants with shorts over the top.

I thought that is what I would have to end up doing with a tough outer set of long pants for really inclement weather.

I just had a mental picture of my skinny little legs in long black woolen thermals and shorts over the top. It wasn't pretty

Edited by tophet1 (28/01/11 11:39 AM)

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #174337 - 28/01/11 09:31 PM

Huntech green thurmasuede Trousers are worth looking at.
Similar to ones I've been using for over ten years now.
Their not too hot and wont pick up hook grass, burs and the like. The trousers go over your boots and minimise water and debris from entering unlike track style pants .

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #174340 - 28/01/11 09:45 PM

Quote:

Well I've booked to shoot a Red stag in the North Island of NZ starting 4th April, 2011 near Taihape.

In no way is this going to be a fair dinkum hard yakka (hard work) hunt, but I do have to make some major improvements in my level of fitness. I'm not going to try to emulate the physical feats of Cinghale or other hunters his age either. It will be driving around on quad bikes and glassing for mature stags that wander out of the Ruahine ranges looking for hinds. Think of it as an 'old farts' shoot.

My Tony Small built 7x57 gets the nod with Sierra 140 SptBt's and Zeiss 2.5-10x42 #8 reticle.

I have most of the gear together for this. Knee high gatters, new water proof calf length boots c/- work, pure wool socks, wool thermal underwear, Ridgeline Roar jacket etc... but have no idea what to wear/get for pants ?

Any help appreciated.

Tophet,

I hunted North Island for red stag in 1993, I think it was the first week of May. The roar would be around when you are hunting I think (?).

If you're hunting farmlands (?) near the ranges for stags coming out looking for hinds, it is similar to what I did. We hunted the country in between the ranges and a deer farm. The scent of the hinds brought stags out and that was what we were looking for.

Gear was simple. Clothes were just hunting boots, some green track pants, or polar fleece pants. Cotton shirt, wool jumper, and a goretex/cotton coat. Don't think I wore long underwear and no gaitors. Gaitors might keep one dryer though.

We just glassed the valleys and hills from a lookout hill and after two or three days spotted a nice stag. A mad run along the valley bottom, through a forest then up on a ridge and the stag was in a small gully. He took off slowly but was stopped by a 150 gr Nosler Partition angled from behind into the heart from my .30-06. A nice twelve pointer.

Saw some other deer prior to this one of course, but nothing worth approaching.

North Island Red

The stag was moved by quad bike off the steep slope to a better spot for the photo.

Good luck on your hunt.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

tophet1
.400 member

Re: NZ for Red [Re: NitroX]
      #174512 - 31/01/11 05:17 PM

John, your hunt sounds very similar to what I am expecting.

I will check out the Huntech pants. Thx guys.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#174535 - 31/01/11 10:48 PM

JM

Whom are you hunting with?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

tophet1
.400 member

#174573 - 01/02/11 06:51 AM

http://www.southpacificwapiti.co.nz/

I will be hunting the farms around their property. It seems they breed Elk for the US market themselves but Fallow and Red are free range and as you mentioned John, wander in and out of the place from the neighbouring National Park.
Very much a Mom and Pop set up with deer genetics introduced 10-12 years ago and have only really been in business for about two years. I got hunt dates on their recommendation for the best time of the rut.

I was given their contact details by a good bloke who organised a group buy of Pac Nor barrels on another forum. That buy was canned for no logical reason by the moderators so I got in contact, bought a barrel as well, and started a correspondence. He was living in NZ at the time and was friends with these people, helping to keep poachers off etc when they were away. The locals do most of the herd management shooting during the off season. He suggested the hunt which is at quite reasonable rates.

I know very little about Deer. Many years ago though I was travelling through Scotland and the 'cult' of the Stag was so strong in the highlands it was almost palpable.

I have always thought Red were the quintisential 'Magnificent Deer'. It must be my Celtic background.

I'd like to re-inforce that I do not consider this true free range or a true hunt. I beleive I will be shooting a free range red deer however but only time will tell. My work hours and lack of fitness makes this type of shoot a lot more desireable these days.

Edited by tophet1 (01/02/11 06:58 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#174609 - 01/02/11 03:25 PM

Quote:

I have always thought Red were the quintisential 'Magnificent Deer'.

Yes I had/have the same feelings towards the majestic red stags. My first non-meat or cull ie trophy deer was the red stag pictured.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

TOP_PREDATOR
.224 member

Reged: 03/05/06
Loc: British colony of New Zealand
      #174676 - 02/02/11 09:59 AM

Where shorts,it won't be cold maybe a frost in the morning,April can be quite wet.

--------------------
"I have carried out my official duties as long and faithfully as i can,and for the rest I have lived in such a fashion as seemed most agreeable to me...convinced that a good day's shooting is second in point of pleasure to nothing else on earth."

Lord Warwick

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4806

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com