Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A couple of Rooks

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Old_rifle_nut
.300 member

Reged: 13/12/06
Loc: Manitoba, Canada
A couple of Rooks
      07/05/15 01:55 AM

I've been the caretaker of these for a few years now and enjoy the .22, but my wife has expropriated the .298 Minex, except when I get to reload the empties for her.

;-)

The first is a Robert Hughes & Sons-retailed Francotte-Patent damascus octagon-barrelled rook rifle which was probably originally chambered in one of the small rook calibers, and later sleeved / PARKER-RIFLED to .22 Long Rifle. The barrel carries nicely-engraved twin folding leaf express sights, marked 50 & 75, matching the 50% scroll engraved receiver & lever.

When it came to me, the action was almost completely filled with hair, grass seeds, caked oil & other detritus, such that the action would not cock or fire and it was hard to know the receiver was engraved or blued! Removed the internal frame of the action, let it sit in diesel for a few days, along with the barrel & receiver after removing the wood bits, blew them out with compressed air & it was as good as new again, except for having to replace the main spring, which had rotted out into 12 pieces! They converted the centre-fire action to rim-fire simply by adjusting the tongues of the cocking lever, so I could, I suppose have it re-chambered to .22 W.C.F. / .22 Hornet if I so chose.

The second is a George Bate retailed ovate-barrelled rook in .298 Minex. Its rear sight is a miniature Martini ramp sight. It is also nicely scroll engraved. Under the barrel is a small triangle I found after cleaning the ~120 years of accumulated grunge off it, after it came into my care, confirming my initial hunch that the rifle, chambered for a very obscure Westley Richards cartridge, had, in fact, been made, or at least finished by, Westley Richards. Quite easy to load for, as I simply use .32-20 brass necked down in my .300 Rook dies. After the initial sizing, I very seldom have to size them again, as firing does very little other than to remove the crimp, but then again, I am loading them very lightly, as the better half does not like to hear it bark too loudly when she shoots it, which is most of the time! I also had to replace the mainspring, although this one was only in 3 pieces, which jammed the firing pin forward, thereby tying up the action.

I apologize for the poor quality of the photos.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* A couple of Rooks Old_rifle_nut 07/05/15 01:55 AM
. * * Re: A couple of Rooks LesLeeSpeed   07/05/15 09:53 AM
. * * Re: A couple of Rooks DoubleD   07/05/15 03:16 PM
. * * Re: A couple of Rooks Old_rifle_nut   07/05/15 11:45 PM
. * * Re: A couple of Rooks Sarg   08/05/15 06:54 AM
. * * Re: A couple of Rooks NitroXAdministrator   08/05/15 04:02 PM
. * * Re: A couple of Rooks Sarg   09/05/15 11:37 AM
. * * Re: A couple of Rooks NitroXAdministrator   10/05/15 01:29 AM
. * * Re: A couple of Rooks Bidgee   10/05/15 07:30 AM
. * * Re: A couple of Rooks NitroXAdministrator   08/05/15 04:34 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 4083

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com