Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Scopes and Ruger #1s...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Holmes
.300 member

Reged: 01/12/03
Loc: Wyoming, USA
Scopes and Ruger #1s...
      18/02/04 01:21 PM

Greetings,

As many of you know, getting a scope in the right position on a #1 can be a frustrating prospect. The factory relief cuts in the quarter rib yield a fairly forward position that does not work for all shooters with numerous kinds of optical sights.

One solution is offered by Moulds. They have a 2-piece rib base that replaces the factory quarter rib. This unit features Weaver-style slots so a good variety of rings can be used. The 2-piece design is also said to avoid rib torsion, a problem that has been discussed when the rib and the barrel heat up and expand at different rates. The Moulds base allows a scope position approximately 1.25" closer to the shooter's eye than the factory rib.

The Moulds rib is advertised as polished blue. The term 'polished' is relative. The example I have in my hands is no more polished than a tactical sight rail. Acceptable for most field gun and varmint rig applications, but not acceptable for someone trying to build a classical appearing British-style single shot.

The Moulds rib also often requires bedding and/or shimming regarding the rear portion. I have bedded many a tactical rail which usually need a few thousandths of fill, but this Moulds unit was going require a complete foundation! Even using a color coordinated bedding material, the final appearance is not what I want on my big bore Ruger.

The Moulds rib is enroute back to the supplier.

In the past, I have used Leupold rings with fine results. These rings are available in a low version, direct to the rib, and an extended version is available starting with a medium height. The extension allows one to use the popular variable power scopes with their inherent shorter eye relief.

Warne rings have also worked nicely on my #1s although they are not as attractive or well polished as the Leupolds, in my opinion. Warne also offers no extension versions.

I agree with those who speak of the softness of Ruger ring mounts. I have never been able to get them to take consistent torque values. And its not only the screw, its the opposing clamp, as well. To be fair, there are numerous hunters using Ruger rings with no complaints.

I've heard much of the Milletts but have not used any. I have used their revolver sights on S&W six shooters for many years and the quality of their sights have always pleased me.

Burris makes a Ruger-style ring but it is not available in a low version so I have not tried them.

I am talking with the folks at Talley Mfg, a neighbour of mine, and they have something in the works. I'll keep you posted.

I spent an hour or so with the owner of S&K the other day and found the telephone meeting most interesting. I told him I wanted strength, beauty, low height, and a rearward position. He said, "You don't ask much, do ya?" We both laughed and got down to business.

S&K has a ring set that mounts directly to the factory rib as well as a system that replaces the factory rib with their base to get the scope closer to the shooter. He is sending me both systems to evaluate, photograph, and post for your consideration. I told him the test rifle was a 500 NE and his response was "No problem", the rings/bases were plenty strong.

Stay tuned!

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Scopes and Ruger #1s... Holmes 18/02/04 01:21 PM
. * * Re: Scopes and Ruger #1s... sbs470   18/04/04 10:17 PM
. * * Re: Scopes and Ruger #1s... DaveJames   18/02/04 06:00 PM
. * * Re: Scopes and Ruger #1s... Dark_Helmet   19/02/04 06:51 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2048

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com