Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: High Wall 45-70

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
High Wall 45-70
      03/09/10 09:54 PM

Hello Folks,

I'm looking at two models of current production Winchester High Wall rifles, in 45-70 chambering. Both are Davidson's exclusives ( http://www.galleryofguns.com ). One is the High Wall Sporter and the other is the Short Hunter. I prefer the 22" barrel of the Short Hunter, but have several concerns.

1. The Short Hunter has a crescent buttplate. Although I've shot a lot of muzzleloading rifles with crescent buttplates, and they are uncomfortable enough, I've never shot a hard-recoiling rifle with one. I don't like them. If you have experience shooting rifles that kick and have crescent buttplates, please comment.

2. The Short Hunter has a "tang" aperature sight, but it has no tang. I'm concerned about this sight perhaps being mounted with wood screws. Is this something to worry about?

3. If I get the Sporter, I will want a receiver sight. Williams lists a receiver aperature sight for the Browning 1885 that requires no drilling (FP-1885, http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/FPpage.htm ). I have a Browning 1885 in 30-06, and it has two scope mounting holes on the receiver, and two on the barrel. Does the Williams sight mount to the two holes on top of the receiver? I don't see how that could be. Please comment.

Thank you.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* High Wall 45-70 Tatume 03/09/10 09:54 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2131

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com