Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Remington Hepburn 38-40 Target rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
BPEBuff
.275 member

Reged: 24/03/10
Loc: Norfolk, England
Remington Hepburn 38-40 Target rifle
      #157347 - 24/03/10 10:33 PM

New member here and thought I would post a few jpgs of my RH No3 Sporting/Target rifle. The 38-40 cartridge is a target round designed to help compete at the Creedmoor comps. This design was developed by a Mr Hepburn as an improvement on the rolling block design. The rifle has a high percentage of original blue and case colour with, most impotantly, a mint bore. The original Remington medium tang sight looks like it's been on there since it was made in 1883. Shoots really well with BP or 15gr 2400 behind a 270gr RNL.[IMG]

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac329/BPEBuff/RH38-40011.jpg[/IMG]

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Remington Hepburn 38-40 Target rifle [Re: BPEBuff]
      #157361 - 25/03/10 12:39 AM

Your reference to the .38-40 as a target cartridge really startled me. I had to do some scrambling to find the .38-40 REMINGTON cartridge, as opposed to the .38-40 Winchester, which achieved popularity from the fact that it could be used both the Colt Single Action Army and the Winchester 73, thus simplifying the ammunition supply problem. The same was true of the .44-40.

You certainly have a fine example of a Hepburn target rifle. The Hepburn was a vast improvement over the rolling block, but shares the rolling block's design quirk making it difficult to create a stock with a high enough comb to shoot comfortably, particularly over long ranges, where the whole range of the target rear sight came into play. This is probably why it was never as popular as some of its contemporary American target rifles, such as the Sharps Borschardt.

I am assuming that yours is a short range model, despite the formidable looking sight.

BPEBuff
.275 member

Reged: 24/03/10
Loc: Norfolk, England
Re: Remington Hepburn 38-40 Target rifle [Re: xausa]
      #157364 - 25/03/10 12:55 AM

This cartridge was a new one on me to. I assumed it was the Winchester 38-40 but had some fun making brass from cut down .303 cases. It has a 28" barrel and is good too about 300yds but it is not a 1000yd rifle (in my hands anyway). MV is circa 1300fps. I have admired the RH for years and as fortunate to find this one at the Birmngham Arms Fair last year - it had just been brought over form the US a week before by one of our leading dealers. He had it racked with several Winchester High-Walls but the RH just edged them IMHO. I have a small collection and go for condition over other considerations and this rifle is a peach.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2947

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com