Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Any thoughts on Blaser combo guns?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
smicha6551
.275 member

Reged: 09/08/05
Loc: NYC & Kuwait
Any thoughts on Blaser combo guns?
      #74168 - 19/03/07 06:24 PM

I did a search for a year back but I didn't see anything on them. I know their SxS rifles aren't popular here (I don't like them either), and the R93 isn't popular here either. I like the decocking safety, but I'd like to know if other than that anyone has had issues with them.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Any thoughts on Blaser combo guns? [Re: smicha6551]
      #74907 - 29/03/07 05:51 AM

The big advantage of the Blaser action is its strength. It is based on a patent obtained by Franz Jaeger in 1906 and is probably the most powerful of all hinged actions, since the lockup is entirely independent of the hinge pins and underlugs.

The lockup occurs when a moveable breech block containing the firing pins, is cammed into a recess in the barrel extension, the way a falling block single shot locks in a recess in the action, except in this case the recess is above the block and the recess is cammed down onto the block as the action is closed.

Locked up in this way, all strain is removed from the frame of the action, the same way the lock up of an AR-15 rifle is achieved through a mating of the rotating bolt head with the barrel extension. The alloy "upper" just houses the parts and plays no role in containing the pressure generated by the cartridge as it is fired.

An action like the Blaser will never "shoot loose" because there is no strain on the parts which are stressed in any other system. The action does not transmit any of the force of the powder combustion either to the face of the action or to the hinge pin and no action bolt is needed to lock the underlugs.

Merkel, incidentally, uses the same system in their B3 double rifles.

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: Any thoughts on Blaser combo guns? [Re: xausa]
      #75056 - 30/03/07 03:33 PM

I have a Blaser D 99 Duo [9,3x74R,x 9,3x74R,x 20ga3"].
I really like it. It is very accurate [I have only shot it on paper to 100 yards so far], and it works perfectly.

The first day I hunted with it I killed [in order] a nice wild pig, 2 turkeys, a duck, and a squirrel.
Next morning I killed a nice whitetail doe.

On the last DRSS hunt I killed another wild pig.

I actually bought it for use in Idaho for black bear, elk, wolves [when legal] and grouse.

It is a great hunting gun. It will be one of my most used guns for sure.

I have British double rifles and a German Sauer Drilling, as well as Blaser R 93's and a K 95.
The D99 cocking system does not bother me at all. It is just a matter of getting used to it.

In fact I wanted the Blaser cocking system so I could carry the gun "loaded" when on an ATV, uncocked in complete safety.

The Blaser and Krieghoff "systems" have their good points.

In short I can highly recommend the Blaser combo guns, and also any Blaser Product.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 48 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1956

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com