Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Began Customising a Baikal IZH18 7.62 X 39

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
Perry
.275 member

Reged: 09/11/10
Loc: Qld Australia
Began Customising a Baikal IZH18 7.62 X 39
      #236900 - 19/10/13 06:04 PM

I recently purchased this Handy little Rifle dirt cheap and have began to customise it to suit my requirement's. I had the original 11mm Dovetail machined off and a Remington 700 LA extended Weaver Mount modified so that it screwed do to the receiver and where the rear Sight attached to the Barrel. I have fitted a Weaver K Series Scout Scope and Leupold 2 piece mounts.

I am happy with how low the Scope sits in these mounts. I like to have Iron Sights as well on my Rifles and will have the original Rear Sight refitted soon as the Finances recover a bit. I might need to make a new insert depending on the load I settle for.

I mostly Hunt Pigs and Goats and occasionally a Fallow Deer wanders onto the Property I Hunt and the 7.62 x 39 will do the Job to 150 metres or so but I'd prefer a little more Ooomph. First thought when I bought this Rifle was too re chamber it to .303 British but it has a Chrome Bore which will chew through a Reamer.

This morning I was thinking along the lines of an Ackley Improved 7.62 x 39. Then I remembered the 7.62 x 39 was the parent case for the 220 Russian and then the PPC Cartridges evolved from that so I have been wondering if I could have the Gunsmith run a PPC Reamer into the Baikal for a .310 Bore PPC assuming of coarse the Reamer has a suitable removable Pilot

The PPC Case has a reasonably long Neck and I feel it may work well with Cast Bullets with the Bigger Bore. What do you Folks think ? reasonable idea or do you have another suggestion ?

regards Jacko

--------------------
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' " -Charles Darwin

Edited by Perry (19/10/13 06:46 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Began Customising a Baikal IZH18 7.62 X 39 [Re: Perry]
      #236904 - 19/10/13 09:18 PM

dont know if a 7,62x39 AI will be worth the hassle

think the rifle is also made in 308 Win and 7,62x54R

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Perry
.275 member

Re: Began Customising a Baikal IZH18 7.62 X 39 [Re: lancaster]
      #237027 - 24/10/13 01:04 AM

Can see your point Lancaster. A few years back I had a No1 Mk3 Enfield chambered in a Wildcat Cartridge and I gained a lot of satisfaction researching the build, researching loads, learning about Bullet Casting etc. I can think of platforms that many would consider more worthy to customise but I view customising this Rifle as an opportunity to have another Rifle in my Safe with a point of difference

regards Jacko

--------------------
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' " -Charles Darwin

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
Re: Began Customising a Baikal IZH18 7.62 X 39 [Re: Perry]
      #237127 - 26/10/13 08:21 AM

I love the finish on the outside of these guns barrels, and have thought if you could have one in a 9.3x74 (if it was heavier), then I totally would. But also like the 7.62x39, Russian case in a Russian gun = AOK to me! How much does it weigh, and how's it shoot with factory or mil surp?

--------------------

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: Began Customising a Baikal IZH18 7.62 X 39 [Re: Ash]
      #237132 - 26/10/13 10:00 AM

Yes I like them, if they spent just a little more time on them , it would be a top seller ! On the Russian site it used to have them listed in 9.3x74 and 45/70, yes the 7.62x39 is very Russian but the 7.62x54 is a better game cartridge I think ? I to would like one on 9.3.

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Began Customising a Baikal IZH18 7.62 X 39 [Re: Sarg]
      #237172 - 27/10/13 08:04 AM

Perry,
the 7.62c39 is still a very good cartridge in itself!
My 2 cents leave as it is..........However to convert to 7.62x54R would be certainly a big step up!

I wonder if you can get replacement barrels for your rig???
You would just change barrels if you want a new calibre for different game.
.223 etc for small game/pest destruction
7.62x39 for short range work on medium game
7.62x54 for the heavy stuff
But one in 9.3x74 would be a hoot - casting would certainly be an option then!
Only issue - can you get extra barrels for these rifle?
Cheers
93x64mm

Perry
.275 member

Re: Began Customising a Baikal IZH18 7.62 X 39 [Re: 93x64mm]
      #237215 - 28/10/13 11:33 PM

Thanks for the input Folks.

Sadly these Baikals are only sold as complete Rifles. They are certainly cheap enough but with the modifications to fit the Scope Mount and the cost of a Scope added in it gets expensive real quick. A 9.3x74 would most certainly get your attention in a light weight Rifle like these IZH18's

Before I got to reading these reply's I had changed my mind about any re chambering with this Rifle, the Chrome Bore complicates things too much and as eluded to here, the 7.62x39 is a top little cartridge.

Have not been in the mood to tackle any timber modifications or Leatherwork lately so that's on the backburner and still saving for the docked Barrel, Iron Sights etc.

With luck by the weekend I'll have a Bullet Mould and Sizing Die so will be able to begin developing some loads

regards Jacko

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5211

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com