Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Heinrich Scherping combination gun

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
Webleyboy
.224 member

Reged: 14/01/07
Loc: Bedfordshire, UK
Heinrich Scherping combination gun
      #69550 - 16/01/07 07:00 AM

Hi, recently bought a nice 16 bore / 5.6 x 52R (22 Savage High Power) combination gun. After getting over the shock of how much Norma wanted for the ammo I decided to reload for myself using cases formed from Win 30-30 and Hornady .227 dia bullets. I know this round is probably considered a bit 'pip-squeak'ish' by you big bore guys but does anyone have any experience shooting with one? Some say they were used in the early part of the 20th century on dangerous game to good effect (or is this just sales hype)?

Regarding the gunmaker, have emailed the German Gun Collectors Association but had no reply yet. In the meantime, anyone know anything about H.Scherping?

[image][/image]

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Heinrich Scherping combination gun [Re: Webleyboy]
      #69567 - 16/01/07 11:47 AM

Nice gun!

Scherping was a first-rate German maker. I have seen some fabulous guns bearing his name.

I suggest you contact Bob Jones to ask for more information on that maker. Bob is a heck of a nice guy and knows German guns. His website is at this link:

Bob Jones

By the way, welcome to NitroExpress.com

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Heinrich Scherping combination gun [Re: CptCurl]
      #69576 - 16/01/07 01:19 PM

Another nice firearm.

I would guess the .22 Hi-Power in Europe would have been used on Roe deer, hare, fox etc.

It could be used on other deer but is nowhere near ideal.

"Dangerous Game"? I do not think so. The shotgun barrels could have been loaded with buckshot and/or slugs and used in driven boar or deer hunting, I guess.

I see it has scope bases too.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Heinrich Scherping combination gun [Re: NitroX]
      #69581 - 16/01/07 01:50 PM

Dangerous game? No worries!
Just ask H.R.Caldwell what he thought of the .22 High Power cartridge!

Well you can't ask him 'cause he's dead now of course, but he wasn't killed by a tiger!

This picture of a man-eater he bagged in Indo-China was probably solely responsible for the cartridge's 'reputation' as a slayer of dangerous game. While I dearly love this chambering, I'd recommend something with a little more authority for the nasties these days!

Nice looking gun BTW WebleyBloke, and welcome to NE.com. In Australia we use the RWS 5.6 x 52 R cases, or necked-down Winchester .25-35 cases from that limited run they did a few years ago.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Heinrich Scherping combination gun [Re: Marrakai]
      #69586 - 16/01/07 01:56 PM

Marrakai,

Ha ha, Good one. However that tiger looks a little small.

BTW what is that guy using, a lever action?

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #69587 - 16/01/07 02:08 PM

John:
Savage 99 of course!

That tiger may look small, but it had no trouble carting off the locals whenever it needed a snack!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #69589 - 16/01/07 02:27 PM

VERY NICE!

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Heinrich Scherping combination gun [Re: Marrakai]
      #69592 - 16/01/07 04:26 PM

Quote:

John:
Savage 99 of course!

That tiger may look small, but it had no trouble carting off the locals whenever it needed a snack!

I was being petty and facetious of course.

Yes a Savage of course, how silly of me!

Now Marrakai, you need to back up your words. We all want to see the next monster water buffalo, with a grinning Marrakai sitting behind it with his .22 Hi-Power.

Webleyboy
.224 member

#69611 - 16/01/07 09:43 PM

Thanks for the advice and the warm welcome guys. Curl, I will contact Bob Jones, and thanks for the lead.

The gun has an interesting provenance. It was 'liberated' from Berlin just after WW2 and was owned for many years by one of the Flight Engineers on the 'Dambusters' raid (I swear this is true).

As for the scope bases, I could not believe my luck when I bought a .22 Hornet Winchester Model 43 at an auction the other day for a ridiculously low price (BTW I am a dealer - but I promise not to try and sell you anything), which had on it a claw mounted Khales H/4 X 60 in great condition. Just a little smithing and the scope will fit nicely onto the the Scherping. Will send pic when done.

As for hunting, the rifle will be fine for foxes and hares but .240 cal or above is the legal limit for all 6 deer species in England and Wales, but some .22 centre fires are allowed for shooting Roe Deer in Scotland (.222, .22-250, .223). There is talk about changing the law in England and Wales to allow the smaller species of Deer (Muntjac and Chinese Water Deer) to be shot with .22 centre fires, but not Roe Deer (how perverse is that)? I have compared the 22 Savage HP with .223 and it is a little slower so will have to do some maths to see if it is (or will be) legal.

Regards WB

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #70024 - 23/01/07 12:12 PM

WB,

We have a German firearms historian who is a member here - PWM - though he is currently on a long adventure-trek across the Himalayas. He did tell me before he left that he would be checking his mail and PMs - you could send him a PM when you have time. He should be aqble to give you some information.

Congratulations on yet another superb gun!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Webleyboy
.224 member

Re: Heinrich Scherping combination gun [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #70049 - 24/01/07 01:03 AM

Thanks Mehul, will contact PWM soon (even if I have to send Sherpa Tensing to find him) ha ha.

Got a reply from German Gun Collectors Association which told me a little about the proof marks and possible age but (if the truth be known) it left me with more questions than answers. Absolutely nothing about Scherping the gunmaker.

Seriously, I have been debating with myself whether or not to have the barrels re-blued. a. If I do the gun will look nice but not shoot any better b. If I do, the resale value may go up or down c. Do I want to keep the gun or sell it on?

Oh Woe is me!

Regards

WB

bpesteve
.300 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Sunset side up
      #70064 - 24/01/07 07:59 AM

Yes, that's definitely a nice one. The three sets of proof marks do make it somewhat confusing, particularly since none of them give any indication of a rifled barrel. I'm looking forward to additional contributions here about Scherping!

dale
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: logan W.V.
Re: Heinrich Scherping combination gun [Re: bpesteve]
      #70079 - 24/01/07 11:36 AM

Hi
i know it's not much help but I recently got a nice 8mm mauser from a friend and
it's marked H.scherping then has Hanover marked on the bbl.

m4220
.300 member

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: wa
Re: Heinrich Scherping combination gun [Re: dale]
      #70891 - 06/02/07 12:43 PM

I too fancy Heinrich Scherpings fine firearms, I have A top lever hammerless drilling
16x16x9.3x72R made approx 1918, I have a georgeous 98 mauser in 8x60S made 1926, & a 22 cal.
target pistol falling block, set triggers. So I will pass along what little I have read.
He was listed in NUER STOECKEL a gunmakers directory that ends in 1900: "Heinrich Scherping"
located in Guestrow Mecklemburg and in Hanover,Germany. Mentioned between 1831 and 1913.
He is listed as a ginmaker to the court in Guestrow, and in 1913 in Hanover. He became a member
of the blacksmith Guild in 1862 and two former addresses are given. I have seen his guns from as early as 1880s to late 1920s and all have been fine work. Hope this helps and if anybody
comes up with any info on him or any of his guns please share

dale
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: logan W.V.
Re: Heinrich Scherping combination gun [Re: m4220]
      #71037 - 09/02/07 01:50 AM

Hi M420,

Thanks for all the information. It's great to touch base about and learn about the different makers. I wish there was a seperate forum to cover the obscure and rare makers.
regards,
Dale

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6240

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com