Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Christmas menu .....what's on yours..

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Recipes, food, wine & beverages

Pages: 1
Tightloop
.275 member

Reged: 24/06/06
Loc: Spring, Tx...
Christmas menu .....what's on yours..
      #67239 - 17/12/06 04:12 AM

We are doing a standing rib roast, crossed swords style...two full sides...having 24 people...butternut squash casarole, mashed pots, steamed greenbeans with almonds, and a huge salad...for appetizers...doing 4 lbs of jumbo cold boiled shrimp and some great crab dip...

The opening appetizers join some Tommasi Pino Grigo, and the mail course features some great Merlot and Shriz from Little Penguin (Australia)...

Desert is bannas foster with Champagne...

No telling what the others will bring...should be fun...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Double_Trouble
.375 member

Reged: 27/04/06
Loc: Canada
Re: Christmas menu .....what's on yours.. [Re: Tightloop]
      #67352 - 19/12/06 04:46 AM

Ours will be a two day affair ,,,,
Christmas Eve will be at my inlaws with the 10 or 12 of us, Christmas there is on the Eastern European side of things and will consist of a clear soup with the chicken, veggies,minute noodles all on the side to be added by the consumer only when you are ready to eat so the broth remains clear, breaded Veal, and another Veal roast done ONLY the way my M in law can do it and its to die for! , then there will be a fish dish,probably breaded pork chops, chiken cutletts, salad, potatoes, rice (for me... thanks Mom) all enjoyed with a good Aussie Shiraz Penfolds or the like,followed by some homeade pastries and just when you think you may get a little couch time in, its time to sing Carols and then open a few gifts.... the rule is NO SINGING,,,,NO GIFTS! ,,,, we are all in fine voice! lolol

Christmas morning, I will make breakfast for the 6 of us, bacon and eggs the style of the majority vote...(usually scrambled) with toast, coffee and juice.

Christmas day at our house will be Turkey and all the trimmings... my wife makes a dressing that is every bit as good as my mothers. we will probably have 16 people or so over and my wife will cook enough to feed Cambodia as always! I hope i can convince her to cook up some of that fawn we brought home in November. She has got onto this new salad made with, among other ingredients, pomegranites and feta cheese... sounds odd but its pretty damned good!
dinner will be followed again with home made pastries and more than likely, my wifes special multi layer(8 of them I think)cake that is light as a feather and as calorie laiden as a you can imagine!
pre dinner will consist of gift swapping between the family and i will serve as the mixicoligist for the gang.
I will crack a couple bottles of Malbec before dinner and I may be persuaded to open some 1999 Dominus Cabernet for dinner. I have one sister that does not like red so there will be a good Chardonnay or two on the table as well.

of all the great things of Christmas... nothing beats the dinner and the entire house smells teriffic with that bird cooking away..... man i'm gettin' hungry thinking about it!

I am already looking forward to the left over turkey for a Dagwood sized turkey sandwich the next day.

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,
Speak not of what you do not know.
Listen up when it's time to.

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: Christmas menu .....what's on yours.. [Re: Double_Trouble]
      #67377 - 19/12/06 08:09 AM

Ours will be almost as usual.
Christmas night at my mother in law with my brother in law and the kids.

champagne (Mumm or Veuve Cliquot) and then opening the gifts
when the kids will have sung

Entrées: Oysters with lemon or vinegar and shallots

and duck + goose foie gras.

Wines : Alsace Riesling or white burgundy Meursault Goutte d'or 1987 or a bordeaux Chateau Climens 1985

Poisson Fish : sole with lime sauce and rice with either Riesling or a Chitry 2002

Meat : veal(or roebuck) forestiere sauce with morels

wines Burgundy Grand Echezeau 1985 from Gibourg and bordeaux St Emilion Chateau Lagarosse 1ier grand cru classé 1989.

Cheese : 10-12 including Camembert, Munster, Bleu de Bresse, Emmental, Comté, Mont d'or, Chèvre, reblochon
red wines the same

Dessert : ile flottante and a Yule log of course
wine : Champagne Mumm cordon rouge

The 25th, at my mother's home.

Entrees:

oysters with lime and vinegar and shallots with Alsace Riesling and Gewurtzstraminer.
Maybe Lobster?

Smoked Salmon on toasts with vodka (Wyborova or Stolitchnaya)

meats : snails with my burgundy : Santenay 1988

and blood sausage and white pudding along with mashed apples and potatoes
wines are now up to my sister and my brother (We'll visit bordeaux, burgundy, rhone and loire valleys)

Roastbeef (and french frites for the kidds)

score of cheese with more red wine (Condrieu or Cote Rotie?) but I'll bring a Burgundy Clos de la roche grand cru 1985

Yule log and more Champagne

coffee and Plum alcohol (Mirabelle)

that's why for new year's eve I dine at home with my wife, with foie gras and oysters only, a diet is fine.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

Edited by larcher (21/12/06 05:37 AM)

Double_Trouble
.375 member

Re: Christmas menu .....what's on yours.. [Re: larcher]
      #67432 - 19/12/06 11:22 PM

oh yeah ,,,,,,,I forgot the hors d'uerves... My sister in law makes a mean Crab Dip ! and of course there will be the black olives,hot peppers, smoked mozzarella cheese, old cheddar, crackers, veggies and fruit,all sorts of nuts.

that smoked salmon sounds like a hell of a good idea on a butter and garlic laced baguette ( pardon my French spelling )
and man! I love escargot....maybe I can talk her into doing some of that up.... I hope I get a membership to a gym to burn this stuff off! lolol

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: Christmas menu .....what's on yours.. [Re: Double_Trouble]
      #67454 - 20/12/06 04:45 AM

I am going to make a venison pot roast.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: Christmas menu .....what's on yours.. [Re: AspenHill]
      #67569 - 21/12/06 05:42 AM

Ann

I hate cooking but I have the luck my mother and my mother in law spend most of the year planning the Chrismas meal. We just have to choose fancy wines (in fact the too many wines we (my bro in law and I) ordered between 1985 (date of birth of my twins and 1993 date of birth of my youngest niece).

What's a venison POT roast?
Especially pot is puzzling me? What's the very recipe?
Merry Christmas and happy New Year.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

Edited by larcher (21/12/06 05:42 AM)

Double_Trouble
.375 member

Re: Christmas menu .....what's on yours.. [Re: Tightloop]
      #69174 - 10/01/07 12:27 AM

a follow up on the Christmas dinner.....

IT WAS FANTASTIC!

a great time was had by all and the wine flowed freely.... one of my sisters in law could not thank me enough for the hangover lolol

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1802

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com