Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Aussie Wine

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Recipes, food, wine & beverages

Pages: 1
mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Aussie Wine
      #73238 - 06/03/07 12:04 PM

Over the past couple of evenings, my wife and I had a chance to try a couple of Australian Wines that we've never tried before. We had Yellow Tail Shiraz, and Yellow Tail Cabernet. I must say that for a couple of inexpensive wines, they were quite good! Give them a try.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: Aussie Wine [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #73433 - 09/03/07 02:26 AM

I also like their Shiraz. Have not tried the cab yet.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: Aussie Wine [Re: AspenHill]
      #73467 - 09/03/07 11:28 AM

Quote:

My wife prefers the Shiraz, but also likes the Cabernet. I'm partial to the Cab., but, then again, it's probably a guy thing.

AzGuy
.333 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Prescott, Arizona, USA
      #73470 - 09/03/07 11:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

My wife prefers the Shiraz, but also likes the Cabernet. I'm partial to the Cab., but, then again, it's probably a guy thing.

In terms of wine.... I buy whatever my lovely wife wants. She gets what she wants and I get what I want! Even "True Love" needs a little help now and then.

Edited by Arizona (09/03/07 11:53 AM)

AspenHill
Sponsor

Re: Aussie Wine [Re: AzGuy]
      #73514 - 10/03/07 12:44 AM

I often find I am most partial to a cab/sauv blend. How's that for being a complicated female?

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #73699 - 12/03/07 04:51 PM

Anne

It would depend on whether you mix it in one glass or have a mugful in each hand.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Aussie Wine [Re: mickey]
      #73718 - 13/03/07 03:24 AM

Cab-sauv or cabernet sauvignon is from a single grape variety and is not a blend. One of the greatest red varietal wines in existence for big full bodied to elegant wines if the right source grapes are used.

Cabernet Sauvignon Blends are often made with other varities such as Shiraz. Others might blend with Merlot or Malbec, perhaps with Shiraz as well. Both Merlot and Malbec will make a "softer" wine.

Sometimes a straight varietal Cabernet Sauvignon will actually have up to 10% of another varitey to get the "right" result in the bottle. A "straight" varietal with less than 15% of other varieties need not detail the other varieties on the label (ie 85% or more = one variety) per most countries labelling requirements.

A good example of the above is the Australian wine "Grange" which is labelled as Shiraz. But it may actually contain around 10% of Cabernet Sauvignon (the percentage might vary from 0% to less than 15%) depending on what the winemaker is trying to achieve.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

AspenHill
Sponsor

Re: Aussie Wine [Re: NitroX]
      #73791 - 14/03/07 03:47 AM

Great info, John! My pref is for the cab/sauv blend, next I like Merlot and Shiraz.

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

#73817 - 14/03/07 10:07 AM

Ann, when you've been in South Africa, have you tried a Pinotage? My wife is quite fond of them, but I prefer a more robust wine, although, I don't dislike the Pino.

AspenHill
Sponsor

#73868 - 15/03/07 03:18 AM

Mike,

More than likely I have downed a few bottles of Pinotage as well!

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#73910 - 15/03/07 11:37 AM

I think Pinotage is or was a unique Southern African variety arrived at by cloning Pinot Noir and Hermitage (a French name for Shiraz/Shirah). I think, though I might be wrong???

Similar to Cabernet Sauvignon which combined the clones of Cabernet Franc (I think) and the white grape variety Sauvignon Blanc.

I should check these two statements however.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

#73912 - 15/03/07 12:15 PM

According to information at www.pinotage.co.za it came about as a result of an experiment in 1925. Abraham Perold brushed a male Hermitage against a female Pinot Noir, and the experiment produced four seeds which he planted. The rest, as they say, is history.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#73923 - 15/03/07 01:59 PM

Half right on pinotage.

Pinotage

It is a unique South African grape made from a cross ofpinot noir and cinsaut. It was developed locally in 1926. It is hardy in the vineyard and generally produces a wine that is full bodied with good fruit flavors and a distinctive spiciness, but often referred to as possessing a "sweetish acetone" flavor. Previously thought to be early maturing, it is now believed that Pinotage benefits from extended maturation.

http://www.thewineman.com/africa3.htm#Pinotage

CINSAUT: (aka Cinsault).

Semi-classic grape widely grown in southern France and also in the Lebanon. Used as blend component in many red or rosé wines. Transplanted to South Africa, where it was erroneously thought to be a Rhone Hermitage grape, and now a widely grown variety making a popular red wine in that country, and often blended with Cabernet Sauvignon. It has also been used to create the hybrid grape species known as Pinotage. Also grown in Australia under several alias names that include Black Prince, Blue Imperial, Oeillade and Ulliade.

http://www.klwines.com/grapes.asp

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#73924 - 15/03/07 02:05 PM

CABERNET SAUVIGNON:

A "noble" grape famous as one of the main varieties, along with Merlot, Cabernet Franc and others used to create the magnificent french Bordeaux region blended red wines. This variety has several alias names such as Petit Cabernet, Petit Vidure and Vidure. (The latter name is the one used by those who subscribed to the now dubious theory that it was the original vine from which the cépage originated). Although recorded as present in the region since at least the 17th century, parental provenance has always been unsure. Recent genetic research, (Meredith and Bowers, "Nature Genetics Journal" 4-97), has unexpectedly discovered that the original parents of this variety were Sauvignon Blanc and Cabernet Franc, an astounding reversal of previous assumptions. A "hard" grape, it helps make wines of classic breed, intensity and complexity that often need to bottle-age for at least 5-10 years in order to reach peak flavor condition. The most successful plantings in North America are mainly on Long Island (N.Y.) and the cooler regions of northern California. The vine is quite cold-hardy, although it acclimates slowly and can be injured by cold freezes in December and early January. Is relatively resistant to cracking and bunch rots and ripens in late October. In the warmer regions of California, grapes made into a single varietal wine will often produce higher than optimum levels of alcohol and, conversely, lower than optimum acid levels in most years and so may tend to age less successfully than the blended french versions. Aromas and flavors include: Black-currant, blackberry, mint (etc). In the last decades of the twentieth century many other countries have seen their regions develop into prime producers - (e.g: Argentina, Chile, Italy and New Zealand).

http://www.klwines.com/grapes.asp#cab

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#73925 - 15/03/07 02:10 PM

An article by Toni Paterson.

Cabernet Sauvignon

by Toni Paterson Master of Wine

Cabernet Sauvignon rose to fame from the 1960s onwards, where it was praised for its elegance, structure and purity of fruit. Cabernet Sauvignon was seen as the antithesis of Shiraz - refined and reserved, with an impeccable Bordelais pedigree. It quickly became established as the most fashionable of all the red varieties, sitting beside Chardonnay for its class and distinction.

Cabernet Sauvignon quickly found a home in the southern region of Coonawarra. It thrived in the region's terra rossa soil, producing deeply coloured, firmly structured wines with great ageing potential. The long, cool growing season allowed for the accumulation of intense berry flavours, with an undercurrent of regional eucalypt character.

Margaret River also saw the variety excel. The region was established due to its similar climatic conditions to Bordeaux thus Cabernet Sauvignon seemed to have a natural affinity with the region. Beautifully balanced wines with fresh berry fruit and fine tannins are the hallmarks of the Margaret River wines.

Some of Australia's oldest Cabernet Sauvignon vines can be found on the Penfolds Kalimna vineyard in the Barossa Valley. The state escaped the vagaries of phylloxera, hence the survival of the 100-year-old vines. The yield and berry size is incredibly small, yet the colour and flavour is extraordinary. The fruit invariably makes its way into Penfolds Bin 707.

Cabernet Sauvignon requires care and attention in the vineyard, with fruit exposure and yield directly related to fruit quality. However its thick skin makes it incredibly resilient to adverse climatic conditions. In the winery, winemakers often age Cabernet Sauvignon in a mixture of French and American oak. However the purists exclusively use French.

Climate has a significant impact on the sensory characteristics of the variety. In cooler climates, minty and leafy characters are intermingled with blackcurrant and red berries. In warmer climates, chocolate and tobacco characters express themselves. However the underlying characters common to all Cabernet Sauvignons are drying, mouth puckering tannins and a hollow palate. The latter is the reason it is often blended with the Merlot.

Australia produces a distinct array of Cabernet styles, unlike any others found throughout the world. A classic Australian blend is that of Cabernet and Shiraz. Fleshy Shiraz fruit weaves itself into Cabernets framework, producing a wine with fabulous structure and flavour. But whether it's a component of a blend, or a stand-alone varietal, the quality and character of Cabernet Sauvignon shines through.

© Toni Paterson 2002

http://www.winediva.com.au/grapes/cabsav.asp

Toni Paterson Master of Wine

Toni Paterson is Australia's youngest and only resident female Master of Wine and winner of the prestigious “Madame Lily Bollinger Medal” for excellence in wine tasting. Toni, who is the author of the consumer wine guide Wine: What to Drink 2006, first studied biotechnology at the University of Technology in Sydney before completing her Masters in Oenology at Adelaide University. From 1996 to 1999 she worked as a winemaker with Southcorp in South Australia where she was involved in the production of red, white and sparkling styles. Toni then travelled to Europe where she worked in the marketing of Australian wine. While in London, she completed the Masters of Wine examinations on her first attempt in 2001.

http://www.winesociety.com.au/TastingPanel_ThePanel.asp

Ha! Toni did a vintage at a winery I worked at in the mid 1990's.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

#73931 - 15/03/07 02:41 PM

NitroX, I think we'll have to split the difference here: I believe that Cinsaut was originally known as Hermitage. I may be mistaken though.

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #73962 - 16/03/07 04:59 AM

Cab Sav is the true king of them all,others come and blow in and liger,CS stays on top of the hill always.

you are right about Cab Franc JH (above) being a parent variety with SB.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#105409 - 18/05/08 03:37 AM

Quote:

NitroX, I think we'll have to split the difference here: I believe that Cinsaut was originally known as Hermitage. I may be mistaken though.

No Hermitage is another name for Shiraz or Syrah.

Cinsaut

Cinsaut (or Cinsault) is most often used as a blending grape with other types. France has more Cinsaut planted (50,000 hectares) than Cabernet Sauvignon and there is as much Cinsaut acreage planted in its former backdoor wine colony of Algeria.

Cinsaut is one of those "grower" varieties that easily produces a very large crop of 6 to 10 tons per acre. At this crop level, it shows little flavor distinction. When properly managed to crop from just 2 to 4 tons per acre, it can produce quite flavorful wines of strong aroma and easy quaffability.

The tight bunches rot easily, so it does best in drier climes. The Cinsaut vine is fairly drought tolerant and has a fairly short growing season. With cluster stems that easily detatch from the vine, Cinsaut adapts well to machine harvesting.

It is one of the most often planted varieties in Southern France, Algeria and Morocco, and is a major red variety in South Africa, Corsica, and Lebanon. The North African plantings were particularly important when, as colonies of France, their wine was shipped across the Mediterranean for blending. The grape was originally known as "Hermitage" in South Africa (although French Hermitage has none in its blend). When a South African professor crossed the grape with Pinot Noir, he therefore named it Pinotage (now the Top Red there). There are also Cinsaut plantings in Australia, although it has yet to achieve popularity there.

Cinsault leaf.Wine made from cinsaut grapes can have great perfume and supple texture. Fairly low in tannin, it is often made into rosé by itself or blended, to brighten the fruit and tone down the harsher edges of carignan, in particular. Although officially sanctioned in Châteauneuf du Pape, it is used by only a few producers in their blends.
Typical Cinsault Smell and/or Flavor Descriptors

Varietal Aromas/Flavors:
Fruit: strawberry
Floral:
Spice:
Herbal:

Processing Bouquets/Flavors:
Terroir: musk, meat
Oak (light): sweet wood, vanilla
Oak (heavy): oak, smoke, toast, tar
Bottle Age:

http://www.winepros.org/wine101/grape_profiles/cinsault.htm

Syrah is the only grape used to make the famous Rhône wines of Côte Rotie and Hermitage, but also forms the backbone of most Rhône blends, including Chateauneuf du Pape.

Although cultivated since antiquity, competing claims to the origin of this variety gave credit to it either being transplanted from Persia, near the similarly-titled city of Shiraz or to being a native plant of France. Starting in 1998, combined research of the University of California at Davis and the French National Agronomy Archives in Montpellier proved syrah is indeed indigenous to France. DNA profiling proved syrah to be a genetic cross of two relatively obscure varieties, mondeuse blanc and dureza.

More than half the world's total Syrah acreage is planted in France, but it is also a successful grape in Australia (called Shiraz or Hermitage), South Africa and California. Syrah is a fairly new variety in California, first introduced in 1971. Some of the state's vines were propagated from Hermitage and some from Australian cuttings. It is also one of California's most rapidly increasing varieties. In 1984, there were less than 100 acres. Syrah now accounts for 12,700 vineyard acres, almost half of which is less than three years old and not yet bearing fruit.

Syrah vines are relatively productive, yet not too vigorous. Like Merlot, it is sensitive to coulure, and although Syrah buds fairly late, it is a mid-season ripener. Syrah requires heat to get fully ripe, but can lose varietal character when even slightly overripe. The berry is thick-skinned and dark, almost black.

Syrah forms intense wines, with deep violet, nearly black color, chewy texture and richness, and often alcoholic strength, with aromas that tend to be more spicy than fruity.
Typical Syrah Smell and/or Flavor Descriptors

Varietal Aromas/Flavors:
Fruit: black currant, blackberry
Floral: grass
Spice: black pepper, licorice, clove, thyme, bay leaf
Herbal: sandalwood, cedar

Processing Bouquets/Flavors:
Terroir: musk, civet, truffle, earth
Oak (light): vanilla, coconut, sweet wood
Oak (heavy): oak, smoke, toast, tar
Bottle Age: cedar, cigar box, earth, leather

Each time our tasting panel reviews Syrah, we conclude that, for both sensual appeal and great value, we should drink this varietal more often.

http://www.winepros.org/wine101/grape_profiles/syrah.htm#top

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Aussie Wine [Re: gryphon]
      #105410 - 18/05/08 03:39 AM

Quote:

Cab Sav is the true king of them all,others come and blow in and liger,CS stays on top of the hill always.

Note this is Mr Gryphon's opinion !

--------------------
John aka NitroX

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #105426 - 18/05/08 06:35 AM

hhhaa so its not yours JH?

Plenty of others would agree with me hhaaaa,i can just see the fun talk you and i would have around the fire if you manage to drag yourself away from the Barossa one of these days.

Leave the winter pruning for the nongs and have a look at some of Vics deer country.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3688

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com