Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Braised wild duck in red wine

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Recipes, food, wine & beverages

Les
.224 member

Reged: 04/05/03
Braised wild duck in red wine
      08/03/04 04:16 PM

After reading the post "A love for Australian wines" which gave me a education on wines, I thought I would post this recipe which I have used for some time, the last time was 2 days ago.

Any common wild duck can be used like Teal, Black, Wood ducks etc. I've never tried farmed duck but would work..

Keep the cleaned ducks in the fridge for at least a week before using I've kept them up to 2 weeks.

I use a large cast iron saucepan with a lid for this it makes the cooking that much easier and I cook 3 or 4 ducks or more to go around, seems everyone comes back for seconds.

The day before eating get your s'pan add 2 cups chicken stock, 5 cups red wine I use a good mid priced Shiraz not a bottom shelf cheapie.
Now add to the pot :2-3 diced carrots, 2-3 diced onions, chopped garlic to your taste, we like plenty, good dose of fresh ground black pepper, tsp salt, if you like chilli like we do 2 or 3 chopped birdseye chillies, hand full of raw sugar, 2 or 3 diced spuds.
Put in the washed halved ducks making sure they are covered, if not add more wine stir and put lid on leave overnight in fridge and get out about 3 hrs before serving time.

Put on stove and bring to the boil slowly, once boiling reduce down to a simmer with lid on for about 2-3 hrs but make sure bubbles pop up. Seeing you are the cook you may keep tasting until tender usually half a duck goes missing during this time haha.

Once cooked serve out the duck, strain off the vegs and lay over each serve or one big serving dish so everyone can help themselves, thicken some of the marinade with flour and pour over the top,,,,serve the same wine or a nice cold beer.....Les

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Braised wild duck in red wine Les 08/03/04 04:16 PM
. * * Re: Braised wild duck in red wine NitroXAdministrator   08/03/04 07:59 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1532

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com