Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: SAD NEWS, LEICA went BANKRUPT

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1
larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
SAD NEWS, LEICA went BANKRUPT
      #26663 - 22/02/05 11:58 PM

SAD NEWS, LEICA went BANKRUPT

It' official today.
A pity such a leading manufacturer disappears, the one who marketed the best range finders, the one who manufactures Schmidt & Bender lenses.
A great loss.............is it our fault?

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Newport Beach, CA
Re: SAD NEWS, LEICA went BANKRUPT [Re: larcher]
      #26664 - 23/02/05 12:54 AM

...incomprehensible news...probably a combination of the soaring value of the euro vis-a-vis the usd, switch to digital cameras, declining sportman base, etc...those who currently have leica products should treasure them, and certainly cannot be said not to have supported the company (have purchased 7 products over the years)...

...the company, with its storied name and reputation for the highest quality products will probably be purchased by an investment group (or perhaps a competing optics/camera company), and then turned into a cash cow featuring products appealing to a broader section of buyers...tho the quality may never be the same...and that would truly be sad...

larcher
.416 member

Re: SAD NEWS, LEICA went BANKRUPT [Re: ThomasEdwards]
      #26672 - 23/02/05 03:56 AM

ThomasEdwards

Quote : "...tho the quality may never be the same...and that would truly be sad..."

I would wish You are wrong. Sadly, now a crap seller makes more money than a top quality manufacturer.
In 2 years most of my partners have bought Leica range finders, myself a Schmidt & Bender scope. Not enough.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
      #26678 - 23/02/05 04:57 AM

Is/was Lieca German? It could be their business attitude.

A few years ago I was at the SHOT show talking with the folks in the Sig Sauer booth about how they manufactured their pistols. The were explaining how the new state of the art CNC machining equipment they had installed had allowed them to increase productivity and lower costs per unit increasing profits. I ask if that meant that they might be lowering the price of their product and maintain profits by volume. I got the funniest look and was very indignantly told, this is a German product people expect to pay more!!

Ran into a similar attitude from Ziess. We brought a line of Ziess into our shop in northern California. We sold out very quickly. Then came the fall hunting season, a wetter than normal one. We got 100% return for leaking and fogging scopes and binoculars. When we contacted Ziess they were indignant also. They could not care that their products were leaking and fogging. They couldn’t understand why someone would not be thrilled possessing something with the superior optics and reputation of Ziess. The idea that someone would be dissatisfied with fogging and leaking was incomprehensible to them. We had to get the sporting goods association help to get them to make good on the products.

I never had much to do with Lieca, but one can only wonder if that attitude prevailed?

--------------------
DD, Ret.

ridgerunner_ky
.224 member

Reged: 23/01/05
Loc: Kentucky, U.S.
      #26685 - 23/02/05 10:14 AM

It's not sad news to me that they went bankrupt.. Any company who charges as much as Leica for optics is their own fault if they go bankrupt.

I'm not saying that they are better or worse than other optics such as Leopold, nikon, zeiss etc. but they cost some 3-4 times as much as some of these quality optics. A little better maybe so. 3-4 times better I don't hardly think so.

if someone else did start making them, if they charge what they charged I know that I won't help them stay in business
that's JMO on the matter

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: SAD NEWS, LEICA went BANKRUPT [Re: ridgerunner_ky]
      #26697 - 23/02/05 03:43 PM

There would be a good chance a backer would pick up such a fine brand with a qualiy reputation and continue it as a HQ maker. Look at all the traditional brands such as H&H, Rolls Royce, Mercedes etc that are part of consolidated groups but maybe continue the standards.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Newport Beach, CA
Re: SAD NEWS, LEICA went BANKRUPT [Re: NitroX]
      #26706 - 23/02/05 05:37 PM

...well said...a quality maker should be recognized as such, even if the pricing is beyond the reach of most...just as it would be pointless to disparage the likes of mass market makers offering true value to the general consuming public such as leupold, so too would it be pointless to disparage the likes of truly great hq makers as well...other examples come to mind, such as lobb (acquired by hermes), seeger (acquired by mont blanc), levinson (acquired by harmon), lamborgini (acquired by vw)...

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
Re: SAD NEWS, LEICA went BANKRUPT [Re: NitroX]
      #26729 - 24/02/05 04:28 AM

Or could end up like Rigby, or the customer service that Beretta is giving Sako customers. We won't know which side of the fence it will fall until a good stiff breeze blows.

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #26742 - 24/02/05 08:56 AM

Sad news indeed.

Erik

larcher
.416 member

Re: SAD NEWS, LEICA went BANKRUPT [Re: EricD]
      #26843 - 25/02/05 08:05 PM

Forgive my poor command in English

A solace, thanks to Eric Clapton, Leica will be sing for ever

Leica, you got me on my knees.
Leica, I'm begging darling please.
Leica, darling won't you ease my worried mind.

What will you do when you get lonely
With nobody waiting by your side
You've been running and hiding much too long,
You know it's just your foolish pride.

Layla, you got me on my knees.
Layla, I'm begging darling please.
Layla, darling won't you ease my worried mind.

Tried to give you consolation,
Your old man won't let you down
Like a fool, I fell in love with you,
Turned the whole world upside down

Let's make the best of the situation
Before I finally go insane.

--------------------

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: SAD NEWS, LEICA went BANKRUPT [Re: DPhillips]
      #26912 - 26/02/05 05:51 PM

DB,

I think you are closer to the truth about these situations. And, Beretta service is pretty sad in general, by the way. They have a haughty attitude when contacted or questioned about rendering service.

German reps at SCI and the Shot Show are as different as night and day, depending upon who they work for. The Blaser reps are as nice and accomodating as any, anywhere, but those at the Sig Sauer booth wouldn't give a suffocating man a breath of free air. The Beretta reps were even worse.

As to Leica, they were too slow out of the gate at the start of the CPU age...Too bad...they were one of the greats, but had their run long ago.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2912

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com