Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Complete guide to riflescopes....???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Complete guide to riflescopes....???
      #249641 - 28/06/14 01:32 AM

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/guns/rifles/2014/06/complete-guide-riflescopes

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ahmed577
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/13
Loc: Western Australia
Re: Complete guide to riflescopes....??? [Re: Ripp]
      #249643 - 28/06/14 01:53 AM

Opinions please. Having 300h&h fl & 5.6x52r double rifles built. Wanted Schmidt & bender exos 8x24 A7 scopes, received same however fd7 (illuminated) supplied. Should I get over it. Like the less bulk of non illuminated & illuminated ( experienced 2. ) fail. Life is not simple.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Complete guide to riflescopes....??? [Re: Ahmed577]
      #249644 - 28/06/14 03:05 AM

Read a really interesting article last night where they compared shooting with a peep sight, regular non-lluminated scope and a red-dot closer range type scope...the red dot won and by a substantial margin..the brain gravitates to the red dot and object its on readily per the article..

While I don't have a scope on a double..if I were to do so it would be a red-dot such as a Aim-point or trijicon of some sort..

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product1.php?id=RMR

The article was in the JULY issue of FIELD AND STREAM

Ripp

--------------------

Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
      #249647 - 28/06/14 06:56 AM

I love Leupold VX6 illuminated scopes in 1-6 and 2-12.

The red dot is really fast on target and as an adds benefit your eye seems to take a snap shot when the gun goes off. Calling your shots becomes really. I have the 1-6 on a SxS 450-400 and another on a 9.3x74r, would not trade them for anything.

Well maybe an Exos.

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Complete guide to riflescopes....??? [Re: Rell]
      #249649 - 28/06/14 07:55 AM

The test I spoke of was shooting at 25 yards using the red dot, 1x rifle scope and ghost ring sight...the red dot was faster in target acquisition and also had the best group of the 4 shooters doing the test...

Have a friend I hunted with for Ibex last year that had a VX-6 with the lighted reticle..he really like it ..has used it in other parts of the world such as Africa and N British Columbia..seems to be wearing well..

Ripp

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #249661 - 28/06/14 11:52 PM

Many of the flood of 9.3x57 Husky Mausers (M46, 146 and 246) coming into this country still have or have had Aimpoint 'sights' on them - "needing batteries". They also seem to have been popular in Sweden for moose hunting.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #249662 - 29/06/14 12:06 AM

Scopes with illuminated reticule are the only way to go, I will not use anything else. All my scopes have an illuminated reticule and I have never had a problem with them ever. I use an Aimpoint Hunter 30L for most of my Sambar hunting and have found it to be fantastic. None of my illuminated reticule scopes have ever given me a seconds worth of grief, and it must be remembered that with a normal scope with reticule, if the illumination fails then you still have a normal scope.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Complete guide to riflescopes....??? [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #249671 - 29/06/14 04:24 AM

Quote:

Scopes with illuminated reticule are the only way to go, I will not use anything else. All my scopes have an illuminated reticule and I have never had a problem with them ever. I use an Aimpoint Hunter 30L for most of my Sambar hunting and have found it to be fantastic. None of my illuminated reticule scopes have ever given me a seconds worth of grief, and it must be remembered that with a normal scope with reticule, if the illumination fails then you still have a normal scope.

Make sense to me..

Think another item I see many shooters do is buy a nice rifle and then put a less expensive scope on it which may or may not work..in my area, it is not uncommon to take a shot at an antelope, elk or deer 200,300 yards or beyond and the scope they are using doesn't even have a parallax adjustment..that is just wrong and you will NEVER be as accurate as you could be with a scope like that. Or poor glass...sorry, but my time in the field is incredibly important to me, life is too short to look through poor glass...IMHO..

Ripp

--------------------

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #249686 - 29/06/14 11:59 AM

I would probably never use an Aimpoint if hunting dangerous game were you might be confronted with an angry animal. If the red dot fails for some reason you are left with no reticule and a lump on your rifle where you can't use open sights. With a scope with reticule you still a reticule if the illumination fails. However so far my Aimpoint has worked perfectly for years especially in pine forests with lots of trees. With a well fitted stock the Aimpoint comes up naturally to the eye and as you use both eyes open when shooting, if the game starts to move you can easily follow and see potential obstructions. Some people wont use one because they believe that long shots are not possible, however shots to 150 yards present no problems. You just reduce the size of the dot by decreasing the intensity of the dot. Detractors should watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWJE7Kpz0C4

In the Wild Boar Fever films Franz Albrecht performs some amazing long range shots on small running boar.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Kano
.300 member

Reged: 09/07/03
Loc: East Africa
Re: Complete guide to riflescopes....??? [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #249856 - 02/07/14 09:20 PM

How is the Trijicon built in regard as the position of the source of light? What I mean, is that I've seen what I think was a Docter, very fast aim, but... If you had one drop of rain or dew on the LED, then bye-bye red dot! Not good in buffalo country...

So, can the Trijicon light source be blanked by external dirt, mud or water? Of course if the whole thing is covered in mud it won't work, but so would a scope or peep...

--------------------
Philip

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2626

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com