Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 12 bore paradox, Questions for the experts

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1
Mike_Johnson
.300 member

Reged: 17/10/09
Loc: York, Pa
12 bore paradox, Questions for the experts
      #146367 - 22/11/09 01:16 PM

I have a sxs 12 bore, 2 1/2 chambered (smoothxrifled) paradox cape gun. The right barrel shoots H&H paradox rounds very well out to 40 yards (was shooting it today) and the left barrel is tightly choked. I have a few questions:

Right barrel - can I shoot shot out of this barrel. Will the plastic wads crud up the rifling or is that simply not a worry?

Next, I have the mould for the 730 grain slug that fires well out of this barrel. I also know the powder charge but I don't know what equipment I need to load these in the 2 1/2 shells. is it just fiber wads under the slug and how do you crimp the top. I've loaded shot shell for 12 gauge before but I'm hoping to get some hand loading gear to load this new paradox rounds.

Lastly, I need help with loads for the left barrel. Shot loads, no problem. I understand that the left barrel can/should be loaded with ball shot. I can size the bore, what is the proper dia ball size for the bore, under .001? again, what is the manner of loading these?

Any references you could recommend? Thanks for your help.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 12 bore paradox, Questions for the experts [Re: Mike_Johnson]
      #146419 - 23/11/09 04:09 AM

I am no expert on Paradox guns, but have some experience with 12 & 16 bore doubles and RB loads.

I suggest the left barrel was never intended for anything but shot. To shoot anything from it other than shot, the projectiles will have to be no larger than the choke. This presents problems in the rest of the tube as it will be undersize there. Some form of cupped wad to hold a ball centred would work - I use cloth patching as in muzzleloader shooting, or a gas check cut from a trap shot wad to do this. Both the petals and the fingers are cut off with side cutters. Only the gas check is used. I load the gas check cup underneath the ball so the cup holds the ball centred. You may not be able to shoot a slug as there is no rifling to help keep it nose-on to the intended target. A round ball with cup wad, or undersized ribbed slug might work just fine.

Plastic wads will foul the rifling grooves. With black powder beneath the plastic wad, plastic fouling can be horrific.

I have a crimpe starter that was designed for paper hulls, It is a smooth cone inside and one could be turned on a lathe easily, given 1" to 1 1/8" stock (bar) to start with. The cone is about 60 degree angle. Anneal the brass necks, load, then run them up into the coned die, with case lube on the outside of the neck. You should get a nice crimp using this system - I do.

Check out Beleg's threads concerning loading balls for his shotgun. One such thread is about Russian shotshells..
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....true#Post146418

Grenadier
.375 member

Reged: 20/02/08
Loc: North of the Columbia, USA
Re: 12 bore paradox, Questions for the experts [Re: DarylS]
      #147858 - 13/12/09 09:20 PM

I too am no expert but I do shoot 12 bore Paradox guns.

I find that shooting shot cartridges loaded with fiber wads produces the best results in my Paradox. With fiber wads I get patterns very similar to those produced by a light-modified choke. Fiber wads also leave a cleaner barrel.

What Daryl said about your smooth bore barrel, "never intended for anything but shot", makes good sense to me.

If you load shotshells in both barrels then you have a versatile shotgun, i.e. open choke by tight choke. Load a shotshell in the left barrel and ball or Paradox cartridge in the right and you are using your cape gun as intended for mixed game. Regardless, I suggest fiber wads for both barrels.

~

--------------------
~

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3608

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com