Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: viking bore gun, ugly but fun.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1
peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
viking bore gun, ugly but fun.
      #105632 - 20/05/08 03:59 AM

this is a new toy i got, along with some of the other stuff from holts.

it is a hungarian produced gun made for police work(rubber bullets) as far as im told.
its a 12 gauge 2 3/4" boxlock ejector with 20" barrels, the weight is only 5,9 pounds.

i havent cleaned it or anything, i just want to make sure that its worth it, bfore i spend to much time.

one of the reasons why i had to buy it is the overbuild action, that would make a nice base for a rifle build.

the sights are a bit crude, with a post and rear square cut.

BUT the good part is i shot it yesterday(finaly got some brennekes)
i have never shot a smooth bore with brenneke before but i must admit that if it can keep up with these groups, then im a happy camper

the group was shot at 25 meters, and is what i got with each, of the 5 sets i shot.
it shoots high, but im going to change the sights any way.

is this normal for brenneke slugs ? my friend had his cronograf with him, and we got around 1360 +-8 fps, and those are the 1 1/8 oz slugs(is that 500 grains ?).

i must say that the recoil was brisk, and i had to hold on to the gun, to make sure it didnt slap me

best regards

peter

Edited by peter (20/05/08 04:09 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: viking bore gun, ugly but fun. [Re: peter]
      #105642 - 20/05/08 07:33 AM

It sure likes Brennekes. 1 1/8oz is around 492gr. at 437gr. to the ounce. The Brenn's shoot well in some guns, not so well in others - luck of the draw.
: Rear sight is a bit close to the standing breech for good sighting.
; Gun fit is very important in perceived recoil.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: viking bore gun, ugly but fun. [Re: DarylS]
      #105646 - 20/05/08 08:52 AM

Nice one Peter, you seem to get all the good stuff...

Cheers from Australia..

--------------------

"Travel Light, Travel Fast and carry a Big Bore"

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #105659 - 20/05/08 11:28 AM

Peter,

"Ugly" is the new complementary term that I hear from the young people at the university where I am a dinosaur. It works for your gun.

With those groups and slugs you have a very nice combination. Must be more than just a "slap" when you shoot a gun that light with slugs, though...

Hope you bag some game with it soon. Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: viking bore gun, ugly but fun. [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #105665 - 20/05/08 12:00 PM

Not ugly...useful!!

Really neat gun, Peter!

Daryl is right about the location of the sights. However, I favor a big thick notch rear and post front so the type seems perfect even if the location is "off".

25 meters is too close to test slugs IMO. I test pistols off hand at that range and even then many aren't separated till you move out a bit farther. On most slug guns I have tested, similar to buckshot, everything looks good at 25, and you should move out to 50 to get a feel for what the gun will do with a given load.

Can you tell if the gun is merely a double shotgun with sights installed after?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

peter
removed

Re: viking bore gun, ugly but fun. [Re: 9.3x57]
      #105671 - 20/05/08 06:33 PM

Quote:

Not ugly...useful!!

Really neat gun, Peter!

Daryl is right about the location of the sights. However, I favor a big thick notch rear and post front so the type seems perfect even if the location is "off".

25 meters is too close to test slugs IMO. I test pistols off hand at that range and even then many aren't separated till you move out a bit farther. On most slug guns I have tested, similar to buckshot, everything looks good at 25, and you should move out to 50 to get a feel for what the gun will do with a given load.

Can you tell if the gun is merely a double shotgun with sights installed after?

thank you all

daryl: the gun dont fit me in the slightest bit, but i will have to fix that as i go along.

9,3: i use 25 meters to get on paper, but it was consistent with groups around 1" shot offhand, so we will see later.
i know you like the notch and post, but i just ordered a express sight from germany so it can work for me.
this gun was made from a shotgun, but the barrels have been reworked a lot.

mehul: it will take some time before this gun takes game.

best regards

peter

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #105686 - 20/05/08 10:02 PM

I would normally be in agreement with Daryl's comments about the closeness of the rear sight, however the square notch is used a little differently from a 'normal' standing leaf. Like a pistol, only the front post is focussed. The square-notch rear sight is there only to give an equal light-gap either side of the front post, and therefore functions in the manner of an aperture sight. Police who normally use pistols would find a degree of familiarity with such a sight, too.

FWIW, Ross Seyfried fitted similar sights to a Remmie .416 for guide-work in Africa some time ago, because he had been a champion pistol shot in his youth.

Perhaps you should give yourself a chance to get used to the principle, peter, before chucking them away....
Judging by the targets, they obviously work!

Bloody interesting gun, BTW. I had to go to a lot more trouble to end up with my own short-barrel double slugger!
And an ejector! I'll join the 'envy' queue now...

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: viking bore gun, ugly but fun. [Re: Marrakai]
      #105694 - 20/05/08 11:09 PM

I've never seen Seyfried's .416. Marrakai, are you saying the gun had an open notch mounted roughly about on the receiver? That's where it looks to me such a sight would have to be mounted if it was to approximate the distance of the sight on Peter's gun. not saying it couldn't be mounted thusly, but I've never seen such placement of a notch rear sight on any gun.

Peter, I suspect you will recut a dovetail further out toward the front sights with your new rear sight?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Edited by 9ThreeXFifty7 (20/05/08 11:40 PM)

peter
removed

#105719 - 21/05/08 06:24 AM

Quote:

Perhaps you should give yourself a chance to get used to the principle, peter, before chucking them away....
Judging by the targets, they obviously work!

Bloody interesting gun, BTW. I had to go to a lot more trouble to end up with my own short-barrel double slugger!
And an ejector! I'll join the 'envy' queue now...

marrakai

i use the setup on my pistols, im just a bit spoiled regarding my hunting guns, where i like the wee and a bead.

besides that, the front sight is way to low as a post, or it is sightet for 200 yard use

never mind envy, the guns pop up at the auctions every now and then, and i paid about 100 aus for this one, if one more comes along i will put it aside for you. just think about how those pig culls could go.
BlAM BLAM ping(ejector) BLAM BLAM ping BLAM BLAM ouch(shoulder)

how much ammo am i allowed to bring into aus when i come as a hunter ?

cheers

peter

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #105721 - 21/05/08 06:28 AM

Hell yes!

Do I see a .577 light nitro in your future?

B.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

peter
removed

Re: viking bore gun, ugly but fun. [Re: 9.3x57]
      #105723 - 21/05/08 06:31 AM

Quote:

Peter, I suspect you will recut a dovetail further out toward the front sights with your new rear sight?

yeah about half way down i think, i will do some more testing first though, to make sure that it is worth the work. i might even put a 11mm rail on it, where the rear sight is now. (a clawmount MIGHT be overkill)

cheers

peter

peter
removed

Re: viking bore gun, ugly but fun. [Re: bonanza]
      #105726 - 21/05/08 06:33 AM

Quote:

Hell yes!

Do I see a .577 light nitro in your future?

B.

B.

i allready got one, my alex henry 20/577 could be classified as a light 577 nitro

cheers

peter

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #105735 - 21/05/08 08:10 AM

Speaking of so ugly it's beautiful - did everyone see the video on the double barreled .416 bolt rifle - 6 shot, I believe?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: viking bore gun, ugly but fun. [Re: DarylS]
      #105754 - 21/05/08 01:48 PM

9Three, fair point, Seyfried's rear sight was on the barrel forward of the action, but the point I'm making is that when viewed as a peep-sight in functionality, as the square notch should be, distance from the eye is not important at all because it is not in focus when aiming. Only the front post is in focus.

Having said all this, I prefer a tube-style aperture sight mounted on the breech-end of the rib. Although far from traditional, I have seen reference to peep-sights originally mounted on vintage doubles in a Brit collector magazine.

Failing this, a dove-tailed Shallow Vee further down the rib would certainly be a winner.

peter:
A bolstered re-regulated 12-bore ejector for $100Aussie sound like a bargain to me, no matter how ugly!

Then I can test that square notch sight out for myself.....

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

9.3x57
.450 member

#105782 - 21/05/08 11:20 PM

Marrakai, regarding peeps and doubles, John Taylor promotes them on pages 220-221 of AFRICAN RIFLES AND CARTRIDGES, both for doubles and for magazine rifles.

Wide notch rear sights are about the only ones I've used for years on my iron-sighted rifles and they are my favorite type of rear sight. For me, next in line would be peeps.

As for your $100 wonder, ugly is as ugly does, and from what I remember, that peep sighted double gun of yours Does! Neat gun. Now Peter really has some options...

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4716

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com