Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 12 bore 3" rifle-any info?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1
empirevr
.375 member

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: England,but now Italy.
12 bore 3" rifle-any info?
      #126889 - 13/02/09 06:31 PM

On the ballistics of a 3" brass case with 12ga/.729 bullets....nobody done this yet? Modern full nitro job.

Surely easily made from a shotgun?

Must'nt be loaded too high though!!!!!!!!!!

Ben

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: 12 bore 3" rifle-any info? [Re: empirevr]
      #126891 - 13/02/09 07:09 PM

Quote:

On the ballistics of a 3" brass case with 12ga/.729 bullets....nobody done this yet? Modern full nitro job.

Ben

Very interesting...

Thinking of the Westley Richards Super magnum Explora with 2 3/4" case, I believe you should be able to duplicate that one with eeeeez.
A 750 grain leadbullet @ 15-1600 Ft/sec would be realistic.
You could use shortened .700 nitrocase and develop a "light" nitro load.

gatsby
.375 member

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: inland valley CA USA
Re: 12 bore 3" rifle-any info? [Re: rigbymauser]
      #126894 - 13/02/09 07:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Ben

Very interesting...

Thinking of the Westley Richards Super magnum Explora with 2 3/4" case, I believe you should be able to duplicate that one with eeeeez.
A 750 grain leadbullet @ 15-1600 Ft/sec would be realistic.

Are you thinking a fully rifled gun, smoothbore or a paradox? In a fully rifled version, isn't that what they are doing in the 12 gauge from hell posts?

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 12 bore 3" rifle-any info? [Re: gatsby]
      #126939 - 14/02/09 03:40 AM

In a manner of speaking, Gatsby - now they're all wound up on using sabots with light bullets to get high velocities. I attempted to 'see the light' concerning reducing a .73 to a .50, but couldn't find it.

As to Ben's 3" 12 bore bullets, one could conceivably re-barrel a double 12 with rifled tubes - but would probably be well advised to stay with round ball. Attempting to get .73 call bullets up to a velocity that would give reasonable trajectories is a lark. The pressures would probably be OK, but all of this has been tried. When considering the very large bore guns, the most effective projectiles within effective game ranges were round balls. Why would anyone want shoot a 440gr. bullet from a .73 cal. cal. rifle, when the round ball for it will weigh 620gr. or more and give deeper penetration and a wider hole. To shoot a .73 cal. bullet of 1 1/2 calibers would be in the neighbourhood of 800 to 900gr., produce much more friction in the barrel reducing velocity, producing must higher trajectory, produce much more recoil necessitating a much heavier rifle - all bad things.

With smokeless powders, pushing a .74" round ball at 1,800fps or even higher, would be possible - even from a 2 3/4" or 2 1/2" case. The 3" isn't necessary and would necessitate 'extra' wadding, which would add to recoil and presssure. At 1,800fps, that's about 4,400fpe (if that number's important to you) and 2,000fps (5,500fpe) or more would easily be possible with less than 30,000PSI.

Now, a hardened 12 bore ball, even a 15 bore ball, driven at muzzle speed of 1,350fps will go side to side on an Indian Elephant's head - how much more do you want? Driven at 1,550fps, the point blank range is 155 yards - driven at 1,800fps, the point blank range is 176yards.PBRange=ball no more than 2 1/2" high or low. Even the low speed listed carries over 2,800fpe at 200 yards and is only 10" low there, from a 130 yard zero. Driven at 1,800fps, zero'd at 150 yards, it's PBR is 176yards and is 5 1/2" low at 200, with 3,800FPE. No slug you could shoot from the shoulder from that 'rifle' will give these flat trajectories. To even get a slug of 1 1/2 diameters to 1,500fps, would kick you into next week unless the gun was so heavy you couldn't carry it yourself.

In a 9 1/2 pound 12 bore rifle, you can easily drive a 620gr. ball to 1,550fps and shoot enough and often and become 'good' with it. Change that to a slug in such a 'handy' rifle and you'll rarely shoot it. Increase that to 15 pounds and I guarantee you'll take it to the range, heft it and shoot it a couple times and that's it - you certainly won't walk with it very far from the truck.

Forsyth went through all the slug bit back in 1858 & worte it up to prevent us from following the dark path of bullets in large bores - must we learn all that over again? In a bore rifle, within hunting ranges, the most effective projectile is the round ball. It was then as it is now. Hardened balls will give sufficient penetration on any game you are likely to encounter and they will give a flatter trajectory was well due to their velocity advantage within the ranges game is killed.

What's to lose? flatter trajectory - ie: longer point blank range - less recoil - less fatigue on the rifle - can be made much lighter due to lower recoil - I see no negatives against round balls - only against slugs in bore rifles.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: 12 bore 3" rifle-any info? [Re: DarylS]
      #126986 - 14/02/09 02:36 PM

I have been working on a few loads for my 3in 12Bore rifle , I had a ball mould made at .737 throws balls in WW at 587Gr , but I can still tap them down the bore with only the rifling makes on then !
any way I have loaded them with plastic wad down ,petals off & wad cup on that then ball & roll crimp ,this is the frist time I got a load that read each time I shot it though the chrony !
with other wads & fillers I got a different velocity with each shot .
I got Long Shot loads up to 2200+Fps , with some hang fires & dirty barrels & so so accuracy & moved on to AP 90 & shot this group at 50 yds 1923,1981,1934,1937Fps,but a little sticky on opening !

I'm shooting her from the bench & with the steel butt plate she drives it into me a bit , she shoots 1.5 to 2in a part I might need a bigger Ball ?

gatsby
.375 member

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: inland valley CA USA
Re: 12 bore 3" rifle-any info? [Re: Sarg]
      #126990 - 14/02/09 04:36 PM

I am envious, this is the really fun part! I would love to see some results with your roundball and 6 or 7 drams of ff Swiss black and 7 or 8 drams ff with a short conical. I believe I have some castings of a slightly larger ball and a couple of conicals. PM me if you are interested.

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

empirevr
.375 member

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: England,but now Italy.
Re: 12 bore 3" rifle-any info? [Re: gatsby]
      #126996 - 14/02/09 05:31 PM

Thank you all.

Well, I was just wondering why nobody made them anymore.........given that 12ga components are well, as mass made as anything can be!

I have seen brass cases advertised for sale in fact......

The 12ga from hell has a 3.85" case! I was thinking of the old 12 bore elephant rifles, in their magnum guise.

Basically, I was thinking of something similar..........but maybe light nitro is necessary, as I DONT WANT '10,0000 ft lbs' etc.......was thinking of maybe 900gr at 1900fps as the topper. It would fire ball as well would it not?!

Ben

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3447

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com