Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Grizzly attacks elk hunter

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
577Enfield
.275 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: BC-Canada
Grizzly attacks elk hunter
      #38773 - 05/10/05 11:27 PM

hear about this one from northern BC? Some elk hunters were out several days ago. One of them was using an elk call and a Grizzly emerged from the brush very close by on full charge, one guy got attacked. His buddy had to shoot the bear right off him, yikes!! In the end he was not too hurt, the bear had only been at him for a few seconds, but likely a few seconds more and he would be a gonner. Be careful out there folks, good to travel in pairs or pack big doubles!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Grizzly attacks elk hunter [Re: 577Enfield]
      #38777 - 06/10/05 02:33 AM

My two very close friends were bow hunting Elk last year in the Hudson's Hope area(B.C.), and bugled in 5 adult grizzlys. The bears came crashing in from 3 different directions. The guys were sitting on their tree stands at ground height - of course, it is illegal to pack handguns in Canada & it is illegal to shoot large big game with a shotgun and slugs(although effective close up). It was tense for along time with one of the bears inside 8 feet of big Dave, alomst a bear himself at around 300lbs. and 6'1". They winded Len, who was screeened by some brush, about 20 feet away, and crashed off into the bush. The bears are BAD in that area and also deem rifle shots as dinner bells.
: As they were just out on a hunting trip at this time - I'll have to check to see if they were the ones attacked this year.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

577Enfield
.275 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: BC-Canada
Re: Grizzly attacks elk hunter [Re: DarylS]
      #38783 - 06/10/05 05:04 AM

I have heard of the big bears coming to check things out after rifle shots, have not had it happen to me, but definately keep aware and alert when field dressing. I often pack a shotgun with slugs for bear back up, depending on where I am at.

AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
      #38857 - 07/10/05 03:34 PM

The last time I went moose hunting in Hudson's Hope we ran into 4 Grizzlies in about a week. One came in on us when we were finishing dressing our moose, but was young and kept some distance. The next day we could see him over the gut pile. More tags should be given out in that area, or better yet open up a season.

This is the third attack that I've heard of this year. The first was the mauling of a 12 year old boy on his family's ranch and the second was the 60+ year old man whose truck broke down and ended up walking back to camp. The man was killed and found about a week later. Was there this much trouble before the general hunting season for Grizzlies was closed?

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Grizzly attacks elk hunter [Re: AdamTayler]
      #38868 - 07/10/05 11:58 PM

Actually, big bears coming in to a kill, stalking hunters or answering the "Dinner bell rifle shot" has been going on in the Hudson's Hope area for at least 10 years, maybe more. The bears, as cubs are learning this all over B.C. now, and guide camps are having the devil of a time keeping meat on the poles. The camp I protected from bears last year was attacked again this year but I had other commmitments planned before the guide called me. That was unfortunate for him - should not have waited until they'd been attacked, but should have had me there from the get-go, early Sept. It's fun, sitting around camp, shooting my bow or muzzleloading rifle, or flying my electric plane, while protecting his cook and youngsters.
: About the mid 90's was when I first heard from some bow hunters who got chased out of the area as two years in a row, a sow and 2 cubs (1st year old then 2 yr. old)shadowed them whenever they left camp to hunt. I'd expect they were waiting for them to kill something for them. Those cubs, taught to do this when youngsters may be the bears now attacking people as they've been taught not to fear humans. This wasn't an isolated occurance, as others have complained since then. Having sows teach their cubs this trait, is a wake-up call for bow hunters to have to pack something suitable for defending themselves nowadays.
: My bro is now in that camp, which has 6 Longbow shooters this 10 day hunt, starting yesterday. He's packing his .356 m94 and he's an excellent, cool shot, but I'd have felt about it had he taken my .458 Alaskan or .375. The 250 Hornady's will have to do and at 2,150fps, they'll penetrate very well. They go lengthwise on moose.

--------------------
Daryl

Taos
.300 member

Reged: 09/05/04
Loc: Nevada, U.S.A.
      #40266 - 01/11/05 03:53 AM

Just for thr record We have seen black bears respond to cow calls around here also to any cow urine scent laid out. I investigated a black bear killing several years ago where a scent trail was laid right to the huntera treestand. A large boar joined the fellow in his treestand before being asked to leave with a .45 hole in his forehead. Boar was in good shape and was apparently very hungry.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Grizzly attacks elk hunter [Re: Taos]
      #40292 - 01/11/05 08:29 AM

I guided some bear/moose hunters back in about 1978, both Dentists from Kalispell. Neither knew that bears can climb trees until shown the claw marks behind their heads on the big aspen.(poplar) We were up 15' in the stand overlooking a Salmon stream. It was quite a shock for them & even made the stand quiver a bit. ;-)

--------------------
Daryl

BlainSmipy
.375 member

Reged: 24/11/05
Loc: Washington, USA
      #42675 - 01/12/05 09:26 AM

I used to live in Washington state, and I hear that they now have some griz's in the North Cascade's there. SWEET! That'll scare the eco-freak tree huggin' jerks out of the woods! Nature at its primal...it doen't get better than that.

Here in Colorado, we really don't have the nice big scarey bears I'd like to see. Just blackie's,

I will relate just a quick story. I ride off road motorcycles here in CO,(best place in the world for it too), some area's you can get 50+ miles in. One area round Granby stinks with moose and black bears. A problem we have there is spooking moose on the trail and running into them. They tend to not want to move off the trail. The ballistics of me hitting the moose on the bike favor the moose. Same with the bears there too. If you think you can out run one, let me tell you this.I chased one once that was running paralle to the trail in heavy brush for about 500 yrds. I was in third gear humping hard to keep up! He turned 90 degrees across the trail and disappeared. Chased a cougar and bobcat this way too. They won.

So if it comes down to you and him, my advice is to put a couple 12 bore holes in him.

jason

--------------------
You horde gold, I horde lead.

AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
Re: Grizzly attacks elk hunter [Re: BlainSmipy]
      #42698 - 01/12/05 04:56 PM

You only have to run as fast as your hunting partner.

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

BlainSmipy
.375 member

Reged: 24/11/05
Loc: Washington, USA
Re: Grizzly attacks elk hunter [Re: AdamTayler]
      #42707 - 02/12/05 01:20 AM

I think you mean "only our run your partner".

Colorado

--------------------
You horde gold, I horde lead.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2219

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com