Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Sabatti draws blood

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
Idahoshooter
.275 member

Reged: 27/10/12
Loc: Idaho, USA
Sabatti draws blood
      #223598 - 14/01/13 01:41 PM

I took the Sabatti 450/400 rabbit hunting today. The weather was clear and cold, about 15F, the bunnies were a bit spooky but this one stopped behind some sagebrush and tried to hide. At 50 yds all I could see was the tops of it's ears, not a problem when you're shooting 370 grains of lead. When the bullet hit, it threw rabbit pieces 3 feet in the air. This side of the rabbit looks pretty good, the other side is mostly gone. I was shooting the RCBS 416-350-FN sized to .412 and pushed by 55 grains of H4895 with 7 grains of poly-fill. At 2010 fps it should be adequate for anything here in the states.

This was from two weeks ago, 8 cottontails taken with a Browning T-Bolt .22

This is why I love Southern Idaho, wide open spaces with room to roam.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
Re: Sabatti draws blood [Re: Idahoshooter]
      #223602 - 14/01/13 02:55 PM

Good to see it in the field.
I too, enjoy the big sage brush flats, wether Idaho or Wyoming.

--------------------
To live life as it is handed to me from God

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Sabatti draws blood [Re: Caprivi]
      #223630 - 15/01/13 03:06 AM

Loads of fun - with adequate power for large Hares! Nice pictures - tks.
The T-bolts are a lot of fun.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

HistoricBore
.300 member

Reged: 28/09/11
Loc: United Kingdom
Re: Sabatti draws blood [Re: DarylS]
      #223642 - 15/01/13 06:25 AM

That's not fair on poor little bunnies. I used to know someone here who used his .270 Winchester for night-time rabbit hunting, but there was never anything left to eat...

Buchsemann
.333 member

Reged: 12/12/08
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Re: Sabatti draws blood [Re: HistoricBore]
      #223653 - 15/01/13 10:12 AM

Idahoshooter,

Well it's said that one should never be without enough gun so you covered that nicely with your Sabatti 450/400, my Lord.

I too love rabbit hunting. A couple weeks ago I whacked three cottontails with a German "schienen" drilling (16 ga SXS w/ .22WRF in the top rib). I suppose I should post pictures.

The eight taken with the T-Bolt is a great day afield to anyone's measure, very nice.

Mark

--------------------
Happy the man, and happy he alone,
He who can call today his own:
He who, secure within, can say,
Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.

- John Dryden

Edited by Buchseman (16/01/13 07:21 AM)

Idahoshooter
.275 member

Re: Sabatti draws blood [Re: Buchsemann]
      #223678 - 15/01/13 09:23 PM

I usually hunt cottontails with a longbow or a PCP air rifle, but when the temp's are below freezing I use a .22, they are too tasty to use anything bigger. Jackrabbits are a different story, they taste OK, but they are like chewing an old tire. Most states classify them as a non-game animal so I prefer to hunt them with a big bore. A friend of mine hunts them with a .458 Win.

Mark, I would love to see your drilling, it sounds like a perfect small game rifle.

DarylS
.700 member

#223686 - 16/01/13 01:56 AM

Idahoshooter- you might find, that if run the legs and backstraps in a pressure cooker at a good whistle for about 15 to 20 min., then low simmered for a while as a stew with potateos, carrots & bay leaves, those hares would cook up just fine. My bro used to make a sweet and sour snowshoe hare stew that was incredible. Our BP section of the Rod and Gun Club would have a snowshoe shoot 'shoot' in March and the 7 or 8 that showed up would collect up to 40 head-shot snowshoes. We had to wear snowshoes due to the depth of the snow - actually 6' to 7' in the bush. The willows would be bent over and covered, and the sun would bring the bunnies out on top of the snow. What a blast!! Flinters, cap-locks, head shots only count. It was a bit of a contest - and the proceeds went into the big cauldron for the sweet and sour bunny stew at the game banquet. It was always 'meat' consumed completely even to people wiping the 'gravy' out of the pot with chunks of home made bread - a really great feed. Amazing what a little pineapple and vinegar can do.

--------------------
Daryl

Buchsemann
.333 member

#223697 - 16/01/13 07:18 AM

Gents,

I have to ask; do we have bunny thread running somewhere?

Anyway and per Idahoshooter's request, below are some photos of the few (three) bunnies that I have whacked thus far this season, this year using that German "schienen" (rib) drilling that I had mentioned. It's nice to see that there are other bunny hunters on this site. They are the only game besides squirrels that I can hunt locally at the moment. It was my favorite thing to do as a kid (hunting anyway) so it takes me back everytime I go out.

Regards,

Mark

--------------------

- John Dryden

Edited by Buchseman (16/01/13 07:20 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

#223717 - 16/01/13 02:01 PM

I'm surprised to see the horn guard on a hammerless drilling. I think perhaps all the horn guards I've seen in the past, have been on hammer guns.

--------------------
Daryl

Buchsemann
.333 member

#223719 - 16/01/13 02:42 PM

Daryl,

Horn trigger guards on hammerless German and Austrian combination guns are actually quite common. Back in the day it was pretty much whatever the customer wanted.

Mark

--------------------

- John Dryden

Edited by Buchseman (16/01/13 03:59 PM)

Idahoshooter
.275 member

#223758 - 17/01/13 06:01 AM

Mark,
That is a classy rifle, and a perfect combination for small game, thank you for posting the photos. I knew that the northern cottontails were bigger than our western variety, but those bunnies are huge, they are almost as big as our jackrabbits. It would be nice if we had snowshoe hares around here, the closest ones are a couple hours away.

Daryl,
I was going to take the .36 Seneca rabbit hunting this weekend, if I get any I'll try the pressure cooker, and I like the idea of sweet & sour bunnies. I'm getting hungry just thinking about them.

Greg

DarylS
.700 member

#223777 - 17/01/13 11:16 AM

Yeah - I started salivating just reading your post. It was amazing, seeing women in gowns & suited guys (not in gowns), up at the cauldron (fitting, isn't it - women at the cauldron - HA!) with chunks of bread in their hands, scraping the remaining gravy out of the pot, while plates moose, elk, caribou, deer, bear etc sat there getting cold. It's a good feed.

When I lived in South Western Ontario - we used shotguns on the cottontails. I don't remember ever seeing a cotton tail rabbit that wasn't running all out. I also used a pair of albino Ferrets - THAT's fun!

Out here, we use our ML rifles for the snowshoe hares. We trudge around on snowshoes ourselves, looking for that little black eye, usually silhouetted against a small aspen or birch tree - once you see the eye, the rest of the pure white bunny would become visible - then, you merely take out the eye. They usually sit beside a tree - quite handy for spotting them.

I'm planning on taking a few this February and March with a PCP air rifle as well - probably the .22. We'll also be using those for gophers this spring on walkabouts.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5029

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com