Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The combination elk/mule deer rifle...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
The combination elk/mule deer rifle...
      #236315 - 02/10/13 11:24 PM

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/2010/09/23/featured_rifles_combo_deer_elk/

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: The combination elk/mule deer rifle... [Re: Ripp]
      #236427 - 06/10/13 01:35 AM

Lots or writing so he can have an article to publish.

I’d just say this;
Any reliable, accurate rifle of a caliber from 6.5 Swede and up, used with bullets that will not come apart on impact at closer ranges, and you have a great Elk/Mule Deer rifle.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: The combination elk/mule deer rifle... [Re: szihn]
      #236428 - 06/10/13 03:31 AM

Is a belted case needed for this dual role?

Local friend of mine has just such a multi-purpose rifle.

We bed his new rifle in glass, and floated the barrel as the maker had put in about 100pounds forend tip pressure- which bent the barrel upwards. It took quite a bit of glass to replace the wood they had hogged out of the inlet.

It was a light weight Remington M700 Stainless laminated stocked rifle.

Through experimentation we found it liked both 165gr. Federal Fusion and 165gr. Federal TSX factory ammo, putting both into 1/2" or smaller (TSX's) 3-shot groups at 100 meters and both bullets into the same point of impact.

Due to the Federal Fusion's being less expensive than the TSX ammo, those are the ones he practiced with, most every weekend all summer, that he was able to get out before hunting season.

We had adjusted his Leupold 3-9X scope to put both load 2 1/2" high at 100 meters. His practice was at 100 to 230meters.

That fall - actually it was 2 falls ago, this friend shot a nice big trophy muley at a mere 125yards, the Stone Ram was just over 300yards and a nice Royal (6 point) BC Elk at 445yards - all animals dropping within 20 feet of bullet impact and all were shot with the TSX loads in his light weight, amazingly accurate Remington.30/06. He was tickled with the performance, of course.

Is a belted case necessary? Not if you can shoot an '06, it seems.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Well_Well_Well
.333 member

Reged: 03/01/07
Loc: Australia
Re: The combination elk/mule deer rifle... [Re: DarylS]
      #236430 - 06/10/13 06:42 AM

http://www.krieghoff.com/index.php/hunting-guns/ultra-combination

gwh
.333 member

Reged: 28/01/08
Loc: Cairns Australia
Re: The combination elk/mule deer rifle... [Re: Well_Well_Well]
      #236432 - 06/10/13 01:27 PM

The article is really just a different angle on what constitutes a good elk rifle - if you can shoot an elk, you can drop a muley with no issue.

Tend to agree though, a 6.5 swede and up combined with the right projectile will do the job. I have a Sako 270 WSM that is used as my 'all species' deer rifle - 140 Nosler ballistic tips for chital/Fallow etc and 140 Gr Accubonds for red deer and bigger. both shoot to same point of impact.

--------------------
Hunt hard, shoot straight

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim"

Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, 1910

Ripp
.577 member

#236443 - 07/10/13 03:28 AM

Quote:

Lots or writing so he can have an article to publish.

I’d just say this;
Any reliable, accurate rifle of a caliber from 6.5 Swede and up, used with bullets that will not come apart on impact at closer ranges, and you have a great Elk/Mule Deer rifle.

--

And I have seen MANY elk fall to even smaller calibers---down to .220 Swift..
I have used 264. Win, 270 Win, 280AI, 300 Win, 300 RUM, and 338 RUM...all seem to work just fine..Agree withy Daryl, the old 30-06 works just fine as well---

Ripp

--------------------

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #236462 - 07/10/13 01:01 PM

I agree, with szihn, much ado about nothing. In a nutshell, 30-06 for 0-150 yards or the 300 H&H for 0-300 yards.

My new .284 Winchester will also do fine in the 0-200 range which is my limit anyhow.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
Re: The combination elk/mule deer rifle... [Re: bonanza]
      #236477 - 08/10/13 12:47 AM

Elk are pretty tough and packing them out is a lot of work. I once spent 5 days of a 7 day hunt packing out my little 4x3 4 miles from the trail head.

Dropping them in or near there tracks is the ticket. 300 Waetherby and 200gr Nosler Partitions might be ideal. Good out to 400.

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: The combination elk/mule deer rifle... [Re: Rell]
      #236559 - 09/10/13 06:28 PM

Quote:

Elk are pretty tough and packing them out is a lot of work. I once spent 5 days of a 7 day hunt packing out my little 4x3 4 miles from the trail head.

Dropping them in or near there tracks is the ticket. 300 Waetherby and 200gr Nosler Partitions might be ideal. Good out to 400.

Agree--they are tough..AND, in my experience, there is a noticable difference when you shoot an elk with a 300 Win mag versus something like a 264--both of which I have used on elk...especially at hte longer ranges--300 yards and beyond...think it is similar to shooting a cape buffalo with a .375 H&H versus a 416..both get the job done..but again, in my experience, the initial effect on the animal at the shot is noticable...

Ripp

--------------------

CZ_hunter
.275 member

Reged: 08/07/13
Loc: Prague, Czech Republic
Re: The combination elk/mule deer rifle... [Re: Ripp]
      #239787 - 26/12/13 10:13 PM

My choice would be the 300 H&H with 200 grain bullet (Nosler Partition, Norma Oryx, Lapua Mega...)

--------------------
CZ

Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
Re: The combination elk/mule deer rifle... [Re: CZ_hunter]
      #239798 - 27/12/13 01:38 PM

have killed a few to "my gun", used a .30-06, 7mmwby & 6.5x55, but guided for more. The most effective weapon I have seen used on them is a hunter that knows what he is doing. No caliber of any rifle makes up for any of it. I live in elk country and the "norm" for a local here is a 25-06 or a .270win. There is very few 30-06's and fewer yet belted anythings.

I am in the minority I think as in all the elk killing I have been in on, they do not impress me as being tough at all. They do not handle velocity well at all, they seem to fold right up. A big heavy bull will travel no where with a broken front shoulder. Over half the archery kills dropped to the shot.

Now shot them in the ass or guts in the black and no have any idea of what you are doing or what they elk is doing and I will bet there will be a merry chase.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY0w1c-gf18

--------------------
To live life as it is handed to me from God

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: The combination elk/mule deer rifle... [Re: Caprivi]
      #239807 - 28/12/13 04:58 AM

Local chap and a friend of mine whom I helped get his new stainless, laminated M700 Remington .30-06 sorted out from it's ridiculous factory bedding finally found HIS hunting rifle.(shot patterns, not groups - initially)

In one fall, he shot sheep, elk and mule deer, all with the same load with the Elk being the longest shot at over 400yards on the range finder and all animals dropped within 2 steps of impact. The load used was Federal 165gr. TSX factory ammo! The next year, it was goats, elk and moose - same load - same results.

Not being a hand loader, he used the 165gr. Federal Fusion ammmo for practice as that ammo shot identically and almost as tightly as those incredibly accurate TSX loads which usually sot cloverleafs from that re-bed rifle.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
Re: The combination elk/mule deer rifle... [Re: DarylS]
      #239811 - 28/12/13 07:28 AM

Cool Daryl, along with how simple it all would be not chasing the "perfect" rifle for everything.
I have campaigned a .30-06 from the start 40+ years ago, some years it is used, some not, but rarely is there not one in my battery.

As to the .30-06 Fusion load. I have found it very accurate and even the "little" 150gr load whistles thru elk and moose at 3/4 angles. On elk I have used the 168Tac-X in the .30-06 and the only one recovered was a frontal shot over the sternum, breaking the pelvis at the groin.

any of the "normal" from 6.5 to .30 are plenty

--------------------
To live life as it is handed to me from God

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3707

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com