Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Varminting...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Varminting...
      #108878 - 04/07/08 01:36 AM

So what's the l'l pest in your area?

This time of the year the scoped, heavy-barrelled, tackdriver is standing idle in the safe, with der and elk rifles and pistols dug out for the ground squirrels. The brush is high, they hunker down in it, and at longish range where the varmint rifle shines they can't even be seen. Good practice for the upcoming hunting season...

As soon as the hay is cut, the traps come out and we should pick off a couple stupid yote pups.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: Varminting... [Re: 9.3x57]
      #108879 - 04/07/08 01:39 AM

For me it is predators, mink, fox, coyote. So it is winter work in these parts.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Varminting... [Re: AspenHill]
      #108964 - 05/07/08 12:17 AM

Actually in the bigger prairie dog towns in eastern part of the state--even though they have had a lot of rain--went 2 weeks ago using the .204, 220 swift and 6-284--per the clicker, we shot 287 in two outings...with ranges anywhere from 50 yards to 350 plus...you are right, makes for great practice for the fall...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Varminting... [Re: Ripp]
      #109001 - 05/07/08 08:34 AM

I just love it when they come in to eat their buddies (& Moms and Aunties).
; .17AH - cut back and re-chamber on a CZ ,.17Rem Varmint barrel mounted on a CZ "Lux" stock and action, originally a Hornet, retired from shooting gophers after over 6,500 rounds of 40gr. @ 3,340fps
; 20gr. Vmax @ 3,925fps. Range 280 yards - point blank.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Varminting... [Re: DarylS]
      #109047 - 05/07/08 08:37 PM

Looks like fun! Does anyone actually outfit for these hunts? Or is it publicly available anywhere for non-residents? Its something I have always wanted to try...

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Varminting... [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #109057 - 06/07/08 12:49 AM

Jabali, I shoot ground squirrels pretty much only on my place {I don't go anywhere else to shoot them}. I do it to keep the horse trails clear of holes, now that the plantation trees are well-established, and the numbers won't approach the big prairie dog shoots {a few friends will shoot several thousand over a season}, but if you show up somewhere around April 15 - May 15 {before the grass and brush are too high} next year we should be able to give you a few shots.

Shot #140 a couple days ago.

Really, forget those rat rifles, tho. Way too easy. Bring a .303!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: Varminting... [Re: 9.3x57]
      #109067 - 06/07/08 05:41 AM

Varminting is my passion..I got Gophers, Rock chucks and an occasional badger to shoot. So many gophers, that I wouldn't drive to the next county to shoot prairie dogs.

To keep my hand in it, in off season, I shoot deer.

So for this year I have shot just over 3500 rounds of 17HM2, 200 rounds of .22 LR and 150 rounds of .223. The wife has fired 1650 rounds of .22 LR and is working on her 4th bulk box. She also also working on her second of 50 .22 Hornet.

This is her side of the truck when we head out to hunt gophers in the morning.

This is my side of the truck at the noon break.

We do so much of this and have such a good reputation for the numbers we shoot, that we no longer have to seek out and ask permission to hunt places. People stop us on the road and call us on the phone and ask up to come to there place and shoot.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Ripp
.577 member

#109102 - 06/07/08 02:35 PM

Quote:

Looks like fun! Does anyone actually outfit for these hunts? Or is it publicly available anywhere for non-residents? Its something I have always wanted to try...

A lot of ranchers and farmers will let you one "their" property to shoot gophers--as well as prairie dogs..in addition, you can also find quite a few prairie dog towns in public land where you can give it a go on your own...very easy to do on your own...

As to gophers vs prairie dogs...each to their own, but when available, I'll take prairie dogs and rock chucks any day --probably because I grew up shooting gophers every day as a kid on a farm...were as I did not have the opportunity or rifle to shoot prairie dogs at long distances..admittedly, gophers are still a very fun second place for me.

Ripp

--------------------

DoubleD
.400 member

#109103 - 06/07/08 02:55 PM

good point Rip..It also means for me I have to drive distance to get prairie dogs, but a 350-400 round day of gophers is 15 -20 minutes away.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Varminting... [Re: DoubleD]
      #109107 - 06/07/08 06:08 PM

Fascinating! Thanks for the tips guys!

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
      #109109 - 06/07/08 06:31 PM

Years ago as a teenager I used to think I was king for getting 14 striped squirrels in a day in India! Here in New Zealand we can shoot 100 or more rabbits a day with a 222 or 50+ at night driving around in a farm ute with a 22 & shotgun.

Varminting in the US seems to be real cool. Thanks for the posts & pics.

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

DoubleD
.400 member

Re: Varminting... [Re: Nakihunter]
      #109120 - 07/07/08 03:14 AM

Ripp, should you get up to the Dutton area and have some free time, I would be most glad to reintroduce you to the fine art of gopher shooting...however you must agree to wear a blindfold while inroute to my secret gopher patch!

I'll do this if you let me shoot your PD's if I get down south.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Ripp
.577 member

#109141 - 07/07/08 08:44 AM

DoubleD,

It's a deal...will probably head east again some time in late July or early August for another "tune up" for the upcoming hunting season..

Like you, I have beome very well acquainted with the 17HMR--think it is an awesome round for gophers and P-dogs up to 200 yards...we used it last time out--while it will not introduce the dogs to the flip factor--it kills them just the same..impressive for what it is...

You hunt birds up there as well?? I was up there a few years ago with my wirehairs...shot lots of pheasants...

Take care

Ripp

--------------------

DoubleD
.400 member

#109153 - 07/07/08 12:05 PM

Ripp.

Just using the little 17 Hornady Mach 2 this year.

I have two Martini's in 17M2, so one will be come a HMR this winter.

That badger up thread was shot with the M2. The rancher has a dislike of gophers and a hate for badgers. Kill them all he says. I would not normally shoot a badger with a rimfire especially with the little HM2. The range was fairly short so I aimed at his nostril. At the shot he reeled back and came to rest sideways to me and didn't move. I put a second shot in his ear hole.

Either shot was a killer. I would not have taken the shot with a .22 LR. I just hope the 17HMR is as accurate as the 17M2.

I have been told the farmstead we are buying has pheasants on it. Seen bird tracks, but I'm not much of a birder, so I only know that they are bird tracks...they ain't sparrow. I'll have to report back on pheasants. Did notice some coyote tracks on the place also.

The down side of this property is that it is over an hour from my favorite gopher patches. I'll just have to scout around the area and see what's available.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Ripp
.577 member

#109188 - 07/07/08 10:11 PM

DoubleD

Just an FYI, but including 2 of my friends, we have 7-- 17HMR's between us..and they all shoot really accurate--I have a Anshutz and CZ and quite frankly the CZ shoots just as good as the Anshutz for less than 1/2 the price...my workout partner has a Ruger 17HMR also and it shoots really well..so has to be partly the cartridge as one would think someone would have gotten a lemon by know...

Good luck on your land purchase that is some nice country up there...

Been looking for some property in eastern Montana--going to look at some in 10 days..will let you know..

Take care

Ripp

--------------------

DoubleD
.400 member

#109202 - 08/07/08 01:40 AM

A lot of folks have the 17 HMR. Do any of you have both Mach2 and the HMR so you can make a direct comparison as to field accuracy.

Every time I go out after gophers and think about making the Martini into a 17HMR, I wonder of the HMR has the accuracy of the Mach2.

If the HMR doesn't have the accurcy of the Mach2, the gophers wouldn't mind, but I would.

I pretty much made it a policy not to shoot rock chucks unless I have a good clear head shot with any rimfire. How does that HMR do on Rock chucks? Would you take a body shot with it on a chuck?

--------------------
DD, Ret.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #109205 - 08/07/08 01:51 AM

Hey Doug- I love Martinis too. Mine is a HMR with a GM barrel. With 17gr. VMax bullets (doesn't matter box colour), she'll put 5 into 3/8" at 100meters ona great day, and 1/2" to 5/8" most days with a little wind.
: We use our HMR's to 240 yards, then use the centrefire .17's from there on out. I don't think the HM2 can compete. We use head shots to 200yards and switch to chests for longer range. My buddies Marlin that I lapped for him is almost as accurate. My own Marlin will only hold 1/2" at 100 meters with some groups out to 3/4". Accuracy is not a problem. My Martini opens to 1" with TNT's - it hates them, but the Marlin will hold them with Vmax - go figure. There are 109 yards in 100 meters.

Ripp
.577 member

#109211 - 08/07/08 03:04 AM

Quote:

A lot of folks have the 17 HMR. Do any of you have both Mach2 and the HMR so you can make a direct comparison as to field accuracy.

Every time I go out after gophers and think about making the Martini into a 17HMR, I wonder of the HMR has the accuracy of the Mach2.

If the HMR doesn't have the accurcy of the Mach2, the gophers wouldn't mind, but I would.

I pretty much made it a policy not to shoot rock chucks unless I have a good clear head shot with any rimfire. How does that HMR do on Rock chucks? Would you take a body shot with it on a chuck?

I have used it on close shots--under 100 on rock chucks--clean kills --even a good body shot..

As to accuracy, the 17HMR's I have really do shoot well--usually all 5 shot touching at 50 and under 3/4" or less at 100..

None of us have the Mach 2--so I really can't compare--we are all using either the 17HMR or 22mag...for gophers and p-dogs--like I said--pretty comfortable to use them on the bigger guys to 200---can hit past that --but on P-dogs--not sure the lethal effect..probably would do just fine I am guessing..

thx
Ripp

--------------------

DoubleD
.400 member

#109219 - 08/07/08 04:46 AM

Okay, you guys have convinced me...this winter the spray paint Martini will become a 17 HMR.

I still have the switch barrel Martini M-12. That one is a .22 LR and a 17 Mach2.

Both 17 Martini's use 17 cal liners I installed. Got them from Brownells. By the way a shot from the spray paint Martini was featured one time on Hornady's catalog. Head shot on a Pennsylvannia Wasp.

Now there is some precision varmint hunting--shooting wasps!

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2912

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com