Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Short Land Musket Expertise, Any Out There?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

Hobie
.224 member

Reged: 15/01/04
Loc: Staunton, VA, USA
Short Land Musket Expertise, Any Out There?
      23/01/04 12:55 PM

I've been charged with the refurbishing of some neglected Italian Brown Bess reproductions. Probably made ca. 1970, these have been carried, apparently fired some and abused much. One goes off half cocked. Pretty much familiar with gun repair (I was an armorer) I still have a couple of questions.

1. There was quite a bit of fine rust on the exterior of barrel and lock. Should I work to completely polish this out or should I simply remove the rust and leave the stain/color that resulted from this random "rust bluing"?

2. Is it common for the frizzens of this era of reproduction manufacture to require rehardening? It appears that these will need to be rehardened. Any suggestions as to preferred methods will be welcome.

3. I expect to disassemble these to be certain that they are completely clean. Are there any peculiarities I should be aware of?

4. We would like to mark these guns for control purposes. However, we would like the marks to be period. Can anyone point me to examples of correct marks for arms issued to the 2nd VaRegt or other Virginia units?

--------------------
Sincerely,

Hobie
"Duty is the rent we pay for life." The Queen Mother
116th Infantry Regiment "The Stonewall Brigade"

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Short Land Musket Expertise, Any Out There? Hobie 23/01/04 12:55 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1405

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com