Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Currently an Oberndorf Type S, but previously???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

twalker
.224 member

Reged: 23/07/10
Loc: Southern California, USA
Currently an Oberndorf Type S, but previously???
      09/06/11 08:01 AM

I'm not too sure about the history of this rifle. I know that when I first saw it, it already had the added butt pad and I'm guessing that was when the rear portion of the stock had an extra coat of a darker oil applied. It also had a pre-patent single lever G&H sidemount attached but the rings weren't centered over the bore. It looks like the caliber markings were restamped at some point, and the serial number on barrel and receiver were marked with different tools. The serial number should place the manufacture date during 1914. The tang appears to be shorter than the original inletting; resulting in a patch aft of the tang in the stock. The safety had been converted to a two position side lever. Bore is .311; grooves .316. Freddy Brunner replaced the G&H mount (base was cracked where they attached to the receiver) with claw mounts. He cut a channel through the mounts so that you can still see the sights. Standard 8mm Norma shell will not chamber without some force resulting in marking the casing neck, but not the case shoulder or the bullet. Anyone happen to know where a guy can find a couple of boxes of 8mm J bore ammo?

Edited by CptCurl (23/06/11 09:37 PM)

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Currently an Oberndorf Type S, but previously??? twalker 09/06/11 08:01 AM
. * * Re: Currently an Oberndorf Type S, but previously??? Huvius   09/06/11 10:22 AM
. * * Re: Currently an Oberndorf Type S, but previously??? twalker   09/06/11 10:53 AM

Extra information
1 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 3139

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com