Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Something Different to play with

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Brigalow
.224 member

Reged: 24/10/11
Loc: Moree, NSW Australia
Something Different to play with
      #223666 - 15/01/13 01:43 PM

Yesterday my Permit arrived, and I picked this up from the local gun shop. 1923 Holland & Holland M98 240 Apex. Originally purchased by a British Lieutenant Colonel posted to Sudan. When he finished his posting he sold it back to H&H and they then sold it to a sir Tresham Lever in 1932. His initials are on the case. Interesting to get the history from H&H. They sent me a copy of the first reciept. Cost 26 Pounds in 1923. (Cost 30 pounds for the information from H&H). No more info after that. I imagine it shot far more exotic things in the past then it will get to shoot for the rest of its life. Maybe a pig, fox, or a roo for dogs meat. Came with 100 cases and a set of dies. Will play around with it once work slows down abit. If only it was a left handed action.

Can anybody shed any light on the scope or mount?
The only markings on the scope are the letters cad, and some numbers under the adjustment knob.

Edited by CptCurl (09/06/13 11:25 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
Re: Something Different to play with [Re: Brigalow]
      #223667 - 15/01/13 02:09 PM

First off, very nice, a .240 Apex is a very cool thing. I have ambitions to built one someday.

The scope mount looks identical to one on a Husqvarna 246 8mm I had here sometime ago. I have seen more than a few scandanavian bolt rifles with similar. It also looks like it has 26mm rings with a 26.5mm scope squeezed in it......Maybe (doubtful) a 25.4mm in 26mm rings. Anyway looks to be a later addition, along with safe lever.

--------------------
To live life as it is handed to me from God

deepwoods
.275 member

Reged: 21/12/12
Loc: nh
Re: Something Different to play with [Re: Caprivi]
      #223713 - 16/01/13 01:19 PM

The scope appears to be a ww2 German sniper scope which the "cad" designation would indicate Kahles manufacture I believe if my memory serves me right. The manufacturer was coded to deceive the allies. They were usually 4 or 6 power magification. The mount appears to be similar to a Griffin and Howe type side rail mount which is derived from the ww2 German short and long side rail mount. Very nice rifle and the stock looks like it has very nice figure.

Edited by deepwoods (16/01/13 01:20 PM)

Buchsemann
.333 member

Reged: 12/12/08
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Re: Something Different to play with [Re: deepwoods]
      #223754 - 17/01/13 04:11 AM

A nice cased bolt with its history is a nice find for sure. Can't pinpoint the scope mount (manufacturer) but its design is very typical of the WW2 side rail systems seen on many such Mausers. Looks like a lot of fun and the .240 Apex chambering sets it apart from the larger population, adding to the interest.

--------------------
Happy the man, and happy he alone,
He who can call today his own:
He who, secure within, can say,
Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.

- John Dryden

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Something Different to play with [Re: Brigalow]
      #223773 - 17/01/13 10:42 AM

Quote:

Can anybody shed any light on the scope or mount?

The mount comes from Ernst Apel, Würzburg (EAW) http://www.eaw.de/de/produkte/aufschub-aufkippmontagen/komplettmontagen-aufschub.html

This kind of mount seems to be quite popular in Scandinavia, judging from the number of Scandinavian rifles seen with three threaded holes on the left side of the receiver where the base once was.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2558

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com