Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Sempert & Krieghoff 9,3x62 found - Info needed

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
jvw
.300 member

Reged: 15/05/08
Loc: Australia
Sempert & Krieghoff 9,3x62 found - Info needed
      #209415 - 29/05/12 07:19 PM

Gents,

I have found an interesting Sempert & Krieghoff 9,3x62 for sale here in SA. The rifle is currently at a small gunshop about an hour and a half's drive from my home, hence the lack of pictures and this request for info. The price is so low, however, that I'm seriously considering buying it and restoring it to its former glory.

I had a chance recently to examine the rifle (very briefly) briefly and it looks like it was used a lot but not necessarily abused. The stock is dirty and the chequering needs some refreshing but there were no cracks that I could see under all the grime. The wood appears to be nicely-grained and it had a solid red pad and what looked like an ebony fore-end tip. It appears to be built on a standard ex-military 98 action, semi-octagonal barrel, leaf sights, standard Mauser two-stage trigger and flag safety. It has thankfully not been drilled and tapped, and there is engraving on the floorplate and quarter-turn release, mostly coarse but well-executed Germanic scrolls. No other engraving that I could see anywhere else on the rifle, except for the name of the maker in very small lettering on one of the barrel flats, a serial number and proofmarks. The inside of the barrel is as dirty as a whore's handbag but no rust and there's plenty of rifling left.

Considering its age, the metalwork is in surprisingly good condition and I would say that it does not have to be reblued, just cleaned up properly. The bolt handle is a rather obtrusive, rounded affair that was probably designed to be used in a hurry. It's not particularly attractive and certainly not exactly to my taste, but considering everything else, I can live with it.

I'm going to try and make an effort to go and look at the rifle again in the near future, but in the meantime I would appreciate it if anyone who perhaps own a similar rifle, or has experience with a similar rifle, could perhaps share their experiences and post pictures, especially. Any info appreciated, as this is the first Sempert & Krieghoff I've ever encountered.

Thanks in advance.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Sempert & Krieghoff 9,3x62 found - Info needed [Re: jvw]
      #209421 - 29/05/12 07:40 PM

Any idea when it was made or where it was sold originally ? I've seen one very long barrelled (29") 9.3x62 with octagonal barrel in Zim.. It was sold in Cape Town in the 1920's.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 48 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2206

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com