Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Rigby Big Game Vintage 416

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
ColoradoMatt1
.300 member

Reged: 01/01/14
Loc: Northern Colorado
Rigby Big Game Vintage 416
      #351400 - 15/03/21 05:08 PM

Rigby now seems to be offering a “Vintage” model in their Big Game series. I am wondering if anyone knows about pricing and availability in the United States, and if these are made in the London shop, or if they are machine made in Germany along with the two standard Big Game models. My personal gripe with the standard Big Game model is that the single square bridge version is only available with the heavy 22 inch barrel and not with the light contour 24 inch barrel. The Vintage model may correct this or provide the light contour as an option. Any information about the Vintage model would be greatly appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Re: Rigby Big Game Vintage 416 [Re: ColoradoMatt1]
      #351402 - 15/03/21 07:05 PM

I guess that the best way to get the correct answers to your questions about pricing, availability in the US, barrel options, etc. would be to get the information directly from the horse's mouth and contact the maker at https://www.johnrigbyandco.com/guns/the-big-game/ ; with regards to production location details, it's not sure that they would share this information.
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Rigby Big Game Vintage 416 [Re: Louis]
      #351404 - 15/03/21 10:18 PM

Quote:

Models
Due to popular demand, we have created three distinct editions within the Big Game range; the PH, the Big Game and the Vintage. These are available in a selection of calibres, and can be upgraded and personalised as desired. Click on the models below or try our gun configurator to find out more. Please note that all prices shown are the UK RRP in Pounds Sterling (GBP). For recommended retail prices in other jurisdictions and currencies, please contact us.

Marc Newton said he was going to introduce a "Vintage" Big Game Rifle model way back when they introduced the BG rifle. Based on comments from this NE forum. However it seems it took a bit longer to happen. Will have to see if comments on how the Vintage model is ddifferent and what sort of pricing for it is possible to share.
a

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Rigby Big Game Vintage 416 [Re: NitroX]
      #351405 - 15/03/21 10:25 PM

Big Game PH
Designed to be the perfect tool for the professional hunter, the PH boasts the classic lines and rock-solid engineering of the original Big Game rifle.

Starting from
£8,340

incl. VAT

Big Game
The original multi award-winning Rigby-Mauser collaboration combining classic design features with practical modern innovations.

Starting from
£9,150

incl. VAT

Big Game Vintage
Built to harness the spirit of pre-1940s Rigbys, with a traditional stock shape and specifications taken from historic models in our museum.

Starting from
£10,860

incl. VAT

I will have to shrink the images.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#351406 - 15/03/21 10:37 PM

From the images alone, the front sight does not have a hood, the rear express sight seems to not have a standing leaf, the safety is different and it appears to have a Rigby bolt shroud peep sight.

HOWEVER from the configuration page, the bolt shroud peep sight is an added extra. And there is an option for a 22 inch lightweight barrel.

I am sure a 24 inch lightweight barrel could be an option for an additional quoted price.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

ColoradoMatt1
.300 member

#351413 - 16/03/21 12:58 AM

Thanks for the info, John! I sent an inquiry email to Rigby. My son starts college next year. When he’s done, I’m setting my sights on one of these. The Boone and Crockett club is Auctioning off one these on Gunbroker. That is what brought my attention to this new offering. The starting Auction price is $12,500. I doubt this Auction is widely known to potential buyers. There is six days left to bid with no bids, yet. Maybe some Nitro Express members would be interested, and if one of us wins the auction, they can give us the rest of us a full rundown on the rifle. The auction states that the actual rifle won’t be completed until this coming July 1st. Perhaps this will allow the winning bidder to choose some special options. If it were me, I would ask if a stock blank of lighter weight wood could be chosen, as I would prefer a finished weight around 9 and 1/4 to 9 and 1/2 pounds. Choosing the light contour 22” barrel would help in this regard, but I would personally prefer the light contour 24” barrel. Several years ago, before Rigby was reconstituted in London, I attempted to have a former member of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild build me a facsimile of Harry Selby’s Std 98 416 rifle. I was taken for a ride, so to speak, and lost several thousand dollars, with nothing to show for it. I am very pleased to now see this “Vintage” option from Rigby. I only wish such a rifle had been offered fifteen years ago. Here is a link to the above mentioned Auction:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/894062005

Edited by ColoradoMatt1 (16/03/21 01:01 AM)

ColoradoMatt1
.300 member

#351426 - 16/03/21 05:50 AM

I already heard back from a Rigby rep this afternoon. It looks like the price, for here in the U.S., will be about $20k. That Boone and Crockett gun might be had at a significant discount.

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #351428 - 16/03/21 06:11 AM

Quote:

I already heard back from a Rigby rep this afternoon. It looks like the price, for here in the U.S., will be about $20k. That Boone and Crockett gun might be had at a significant discount.

Fingers crossed for you mate if you decide to throw your hat in the ring for a bespoke rifle like this one!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#351438 - 16/03/21 02:51 PM

Quote:

T Here is a link to the above mentioned Auction:

Quote:

John Rigby & Co. Big Game Vintage .416 Rigby Magnum
Based on the new Rigby Magnum Mauser Model 98 single square bridge action, the Big Game Vintage features a 24-inch barrel with light weight contour, banded sling loop, quarter rib express rear sight with three leafs (one fixed and two folding, regulated for 65/150/250 yards respectively), three-position flag safety, straight bolt handle, drop box magazine (4+1 capacity, "snap over") and a polished blue finish. The stock is shaped from grade five Turkish walnut and highlights include full-coverage checkering with Mullered borders and a crossbolt.

DIMENSIONS
Weight is approximately 10.0 pounds and length-of-pull is 14.5 inches.

24-inch barrel with light weight contour

I wonder if that barrel is the standard barrel for the Vintage model? And the 22 inch lightweight barrel the option?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #351447 - 17/03/21 01:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

T Here is a link to the above mentioned Auction:

Quote:

John Rigby & Co. Big Game Vintage .416 Rigby Magnum
Based on the new Rigby Magnum Mauser Model 98 single square bridge action, the Big Game Vintage features a 24-inch barrel with light weight contour, banded sling loop, quarter rib express rear sight with three leafs (one fixed and two folding, regulated for 65/150/250 yards respectively), three-position flag safety, straight bolt handle, drop box magazine (4+1 capacity, "snap over") and a polished blue finish. The stock is shaped from grade five Turkish walnut and highlights include full-coverage checkering with Mullered borders and a crossbolt.

DIMENSIONS
Weight is approximately 10.0 pounds and length-of-pull is 14.5 inches.

24-inch barrel with light weight contour

I wonder if that barrel is the standard barrel for the Vintage model? And the 22 inch lightweight barrel the option?

Nice looking rifle...

For me, I'd take the 22" --perfect length for in the bush..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

ColoradoMatt1
.300 member

Re: Rigby Big Game Vintage 416 [Re: Ripp]
      #351452 - 17/03/21 02:00 AM

Quote:

For me, I'd take the 22" --perfect length for in the bush..

I would strongly consider a 22” lightweight barrel, as well, but mostly for possibly lowering weight.

On another note, they are offering a single square bridge version with a Very Heavy stepped barrel, but it is like 11lbs. The portliness turned me off of that one. I’m also failing to see where the extra cost of the “vintage” model is coming from, other than the fact that they can say it’s extra special, when in fact, it is a simpler rifle that should require less machining, given the single square bridge and no cheek rest. It’s a case of “The Emperor’s New Cloths”, where the name “Vintage”, alone, adds thousands of dollars to the price. Marketing gimmicks aside, I still want one.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6242

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com