Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Dreams of Africa with a standard Mauser 98

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Wanabebwana
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/13
Loc: Canada
Dreams of Africa with a standard Mauser 98
      #260747 - 20/02/15 03:43 AM

In a perfect world, cost and availability not being a factor, all my big game rifles would be built (preferably by Dorleac),with pristine Oberndorf actions. The DGR's with 1930's vintage single square bridge magnum Mausers. In the real world I willingly "settle" for FN actions, The 1950s Deluxe and the 1930s Peerless that I have on my 1939 HVA 146 are hard to flaw even compared to a Mauser.(The FN Supreme is too modern for a classic rifle.)I consider these superior to the ZG47 which is IMHO the finest commercial large ring to come out of Czechoslovakia.
When it comes to magnum length actions what are the options?
FZH currently used by Holland and Holland cost $3800 plus the cost of heat treatment. The Granite Mountain, $3700 plus an extra k if you want an integral bolt handle (standard on the FN actions). The Prechtl Mauser is beautifully made, if not an exact replica of the Oberndorf, but pricey. A (Prechtl action) Mauser 98 Magnum complete with stock, barrel, sights and the Mauser banner seems like a bargain at around $10k. Since these are out of my price range I will have to forgo the Magnum and settle for a cartridge that fits the standard action as well as my needs.
The .375H&H requires too much cutting (Bringing the 3rd safety lug into play might be an acceptable option). The 9.3x62, 9.3x66, 9.3x64 are all capable cartridges but in some African countries .375 is the minimum calibre for Cape buffalo.
The .375 "Ruger",(a word I will not speak), will be referred to as the 9.5x65.
No belt, standard length, case capacity equal to H&H, cartridge availability. Great choice.
If Mauser, Rigby or H&H had designed it it would be the perfect choice.
The .404 Jeffrey needs a 3.5" mag. An FN Deluxe mag can be milled, mostly rear, to fit with minimal loss of lower lug support. A copy of an original Jefferey is my personal preference.
For reloaders, removing 0.1" from the very long.404 neck and seating bullet to COL of 3.38" would allow loading in standard unmodified mag.Factory ammo could only be fed directly in the chamber and would have to be shortened as mentioned above to be stacked in mag.
For the.416 Rigby reduce the neck by .1" and you still have a neck longer than the .416 Ruger's. Hornady's Rigby 400gr DGXs have a 3.56" COL. Subtract .1" and you are down to 3.46 COL that can fit a standard mag with minimal removal of metal. Standard reamers and dies can be used and cases only need to be trimmed.
The .460 A square short, the 458 Sabi and many other wildcats make up in punch what they lack in pedigree and if that is not enough there is always the .550 Express.

Edited by Wanabebwana (20/02/15 03:47 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Dreams of Africa with a standard Mauser 98 [Re: Wanabebwana]
      #260752 - 20/02/15 05:10 AM

imho, the 10,75x68 is the answer

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Norman4
.300 member

Reged: 16/01/15
Loc: Vermont,USA
Re: Dreams of Africa with a standard Mauser 98 [Re: lancaster]
      #260754 - 20/02/15 05:13 AM

Quote:

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: Dreams of Africa with a standard Mauser 98 [Re: Norman4]
      #260756 - 20/02/15 05:27 AM

Quote:

Yes, this caliber in very potential with modern gunpowders and bullets; bullet caliber is same which .404 Jeffery has and you could now reclaim from 10,75x68 at least same power as .404 has when it appears in 1905. Suitable action is very easy to find because any .30-06 -lenght will do. The only problem is the price of shells but if you buy, for example, 50 pieces at first time they will last many years if you handle then correct way.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Dreams of Africa with a standard Mauser 98 [Re: Igorrock]
      #260757 - 20/02/15 05:35 AM

I hate to say it, but the 416 Ruger is probably the logical DG cartridge for a standard Mauser.
Opened up to .423" would make a modernised 404.
In fact, I have a super clean 10.75X68 DSB that I could do just that with! (calm down guys, it has been restocked already).

I agree with the OP about classic Mausers and nobody could be faulted for going with Joel for the work.
Funny thing is, classic Oberndorf Mausers can still be found at somewhat reasonable prices. I had my 10.75 on the market at $4.5K. Not a peep. A SB Kurz at $3.5K. Not a peep. Sold my Mahillon 416 and my Gibbs .280, both on SB magnums but it took forever and they went for low enough that I should have just kept them...
One thing about the original magnums that is different from the newer ones is that Mauser offered bottom metal designed specifically for the cartridge. I think maybe four or more variations IIRC. That was the thing about my Gibbs, the magazine was so tapered to fit the 280Ross that there wasn't much else that would fit well in the magazine and the rails were already widened to feed the 280 which has quite a big base/rim diameter which is even bigger than the belt on the 375H&H so I am not sure that the 375 was even much of an option.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
Re: Dreams of Africa with a standard Mauser 98 [Re: Huvius]
      #260760 - 20/02/15 07:46 AM

What was wrong with the .280 that you'd have to change it?

I'm another +1 on 10.75x68, am eagerly awaiting my own to arrive!

--------------------

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Dreams of Africa with a standard Mauser 98 [Re: Ash]
      #260769 - 20/02/15 09:21 AM

9.3x62
9.3x64B
404J

Huvius
.416 member

Re: Dreams of Africa with a standard Mauser 98 [Re: Ash]
      #260790 - 20/02/15 11:31 AM

Quote:

What was wrong with the .280 that you'd have to change it?

I'm another +1 on 10.75x68, am eagerly awaiting my own to arrive!

It just seemed such a waste of a good magnum to be a 280.
I also had a Charles Lancaster 280 on a standard Mauser and it was a much nicer gun to shoot than the Gibbs.
The Gibbs felt long and heavy by comparison although it was a beautiful rifle.
I have been told the same from friends with 333 Jefferys on magnum actions. Even the 404 and 500 Jefferys were designed for a standard length action but were also sold by Jeffery on magnum length actions once the Rigby monopoly expired in 1912. That was my point about magnum actions being used where they weren't necessary on the other thread.

--------------------

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Dreams of Africa with a standard Mauser 98 [Re: Huvius]
      #260818 - 20/02/15 10:10 PM

I would have either
9,3x62 or 9,5x65 (.375 Ruger)
and
.404 Jefferey

In an ideal world, both WR take-downs...

Gen_Hicks
.300 member

Reged: 15/10/12
Loc: Lowveld, South Africa
Re: Dreams of Africa with a standard Mauser 98 [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #260820 - 20/02/15 10:30 PM

A 416 Rigby just feels right in a magnum action.....

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
Re: Dreams of Africa with a standard Mauser 98 [Re: Gen_Hicks]
      #260954 - 22/02/15 03:16 PM

It never ceases to amaze me of the utter fealty paid to the Model 98 Mauser by members of these forums. It's almost like an act of worship. Personally I like American rifles both in style and manufacture. The Model 70 Winchester action in my mind being the equal of any on earth. I have several made on Mauser actions and a custom 375H&H on a Model 70 Classic. I also have one ,what I consider to be an original Mauser Commercial Single Square Bridge, since it is marked 318 Westley Richards Accellerated Express on the left side. I assume it's a standard action. It is now a 375H&H but the action was obviously modified by Westley Richards for some reason. The front ring is partially machined away from center top to right rail. They seem to have done this for some reason on several pictures of WR's I have seen. I understand the 'U' being ground in top to allow for some clip loading but not this particular procedure. Could it be that WR was not pleased with the excellant Mauser action as built by the hallowed company so changed it.

Huvius
.416 member

Re: Dreams of Africa with a standard Mauser 98 [Re: zimhunter]
      #260955 - 22/02/15 04:07 PM

I don't think Westley Richards modified the Mauser actions they used for the 318 because of any shortcomings of the '98 action itself, it was just that the 318 with heavy bullets needed a little extra room to be loaded and since 318s weren't sold on stripper clips, letting out the front ring from 12o'clock to 3o'clock allowed the sportsman to easily load from the hand.
I agree that Winchester did make a great rifle in the model 70 but remember that during the heyday of the classic English or European Mauser sporter, the American offerings were not up to the standard of the Mauser. The Winchester 54,as nice as they are, had a stamped bottom metal and trigger guard and Springfield even had to pay royalties to Mauser before WW1.
So, today, for all intents and purposes, nothing has bettered the original Mauser '98 and that is reason enough to me to hold it in such high regard.

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #260956 - 22/02/15 04:18 PM

Quote:

It never ceases to amaze me of the utter fealty paid to the Model 98 Mauser by members of these forums. It's almost like an act of worship. Personally I like American rifles both in style and manufacture. The Model 70 Winchester action in my mind being the equal of any on earth.

I commend the post 64 winchester 70

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Dreams of Africa with a standard Mauser 98 [Re: lancaster]
      #260976 - 23/02/15 03:38 AM

Just to be different - the 9.5x68 made a nice moose rifle on a 98 action. Ballistics-wise - about identical to the .375 Ruger, but the Ruger is "just" a factory cartridge.

The 9.5x68S is a .375 on the 8x68S case.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Dreams of Africa with a standard Mauser 98 [Re: Gen_Hicks]
      #260990 - 23/02/15 09:01 AM

Quote:

A 416 Rigby just feels right in a magnum action.....

This or the 404J

Yochanan
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Volksdiktatur Schweden
Re: Dreams of Africa with a standard Mauser 98 [Re: Rule303]
      #261387 - 01/03/15 07:11 AM

If you want a big game calibre on a standard mauser action with factory fodder available it's hard to beat the 458 Win - very boring choice.

I have two magnum mausers that will be built to 416 Rigby and 375 Blaser.

Early ZG-47s are very nice and well made. ZG-47 action can easily modified to take 404 Jeffery but ejectionport must also be opened.

--------------------
© "I have never been able to appreciate 'shock' as applied to killing big game. It seems to me that you cannot kill an elephant weighing six tons by ´shock´unless you advocate the use of a field gun." - W.D.M. Bell: Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter.

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Dreams of Africa with a standard Mauser 98 [Re: Yochanan]
      #261391 - 01/03/15 09:17 AM

Wanabebwana,
personally I have both a 9.3x64mm & .404, haven't the opportunity yet to use them on any game that would be considered what they were really designed for - sad but true!
I had never heard of these big calibres until I read a whole magazine article by Jack Lott 'Big bore rifles", I still have it at home & yes its pretty tattered by being read so much. This put me on the path that a lot of us here are on, love the technical challenge of getting these wonderful cartridge to 'sing' again.
No mine are just a Mark X & a CZ550 so not 'classic' actions by any means, but I'll tell you this; if you are genuinely able to hunt in a certain area then the rules of that country will force your hand to decide which calibre. With modern powders like ADI or Hodgdon the temperature sensitivity is no longer a real concern so an old cartridge like the 10.75x68 would certainly 'sing' louder than ever; otherwise I don't envy you as there are so many wonderful old cartridges out there with the modern projectiles available now provide unheard of performance compared to yesteryear's lots!

Folks like me wish we could see even get see/handle the gems that Huvius has let alone buy, I'd honestly hate to be in his position as to make a decision to trade such real gems, must have really hurt to do what you did matey!
In regards to trading any of my rifles (not that they're worth much), I'm not any more; I'm just collecting - bloody regrets!
I sold a ZKK 600 with peep site in 7x64 a little while back to a mate here in Townsville (I believe one of our members here has it now as my mate got an offer too good to refuse) & I have regretted it every since, tempted to make it into a 10.75x68mm I was!
Hate to be in your shoes matey!
Cheers
93x64mm

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #261392 - 01/03/15 09:20 AM

Quote:

It never ceases to amaze me of the utter fealty paid to the Model 98 Mauser by members of these forums. It's almost like an act of worship. Personally I like American rifles both in style and manufacture. The Model 70 Winchester action in my mind being the equal of any on earth. I have several made on Mauser actions and a custom 375H&H on a Model 70 Classic. I also have one ,what I consider to be an original Mauser Commercial Single Square Bridge, since it is marked 318 Westley Richards Accellerated Express on the left side. I assume it's a standard action. It is now a 375H&H but the action was obviously modified by Westley Richards for some reason. The front ring is partially machined away from center top to right rail. They seem to have done this for some reason on several pictures of WR's I have seen. I understand the 'U' being ground in top to allow for some clip loading but not this particular procedure. Could it be that WR was not pleased with the excellant Mauser action as built by the hallowed company so changed it.

Yes and that same utter fealty is very often followed by those using their American rifles in Africa with their attention to ammo belts, epaulets shirts and safari style jackets, have to have the right looking hat of course and oh definitely need Courtney’s. Most of all don’t forget that other affectation, the ‘African Carry’ with no matter what gun you drag off to Africa.
All part of the nostalgia man, get with it

Wanabebwana
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/13
Loc: Canada
      #261479 - 02/03/15 01:52 PM

Quote:

The WR cut the front receiver ring in the fashion you described to allow more clearance to load the 3.6" long.375 H&H cartridges and to be able to extract loaded bullets from the magazine. This was not done to correct a design flaw in the original Mauser 98 action but to use it for a purpose for which it was not designed. As for WR design credentials, their .425 WS uses a shortened .404 Jeffrey case. In order to save machining costs in modifying bolt face and extractor to handle the .404 case's rim (.544"), WS elected to rebate the .425's rim (to standard 8X57 rim size(.472). This makes the cartridge a liability for dangerous game hunting,the cartridges main purpose, as the bolt may fail to pick up a cartridge from the mag.
The model 70 Winchester was built under licence from Mauser for which they paid (before WWII).
The Model 70 was cheaper to produce with it's 3 piece bottom metal and other cuts in machining costs. There is no hunting rifle action today,that is superior or equal to the Mauser 98. If you doubt what I say contact Dorleac, H&H, Rigby, WR,G&H, Purdy,Prechtl,and every single maker of the finest rifles made today,117yrs after the design of the action this forum is named after.

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
Re: Dreams of Africa with a standard Mauser 98 [Re: Wanabebwana]
      #261673 - 05/03/15 03:48 AM

Huvius - thank you for the explanation of the front ring relief on my W-R SSB action. It did,in fact,start life as a 318 Accellerated Express and is so marked. It is a nice action but it was either modified because Mauser would not change it or it was more cost effective for W-R to do it. In any case it would not function correctly as built for that particular use. This is just a fact of life not a design flaw or anything else. Actually never having handled a Magnum Mauser action that I can remember I cannot comment on their possibility for use with this cartridge.
I think Mausers are fine actions and have several and have built many rifles on them over the years. My preferred action has always been and probably always will be a Model 70. As to the comments about hunting in Africa, I have been several times and in most cases I wore jeans and either a ball cap or army fatigue hat. I sometimes practiced the 'African' carry but on most occaisons I actually used that good old product - A sling - even on double rifles. As to Courtney boots,I must admit to having many pairs of all styles as I find them to be exceedingly comfortable to wear. I actually prefer the American style of rifle and stock over the European and especially the British design with the aborted forearm. I also prefer to have them built by American gunsmiths who I believe to be the equal to any on Earth. Of course part of these likes and dislikes could possibly be traced to the fact I was trained in an American gunsmithing school by Americans instructors. Everyone is ,of course, entitled to their own likes and dislikes and opinions even though they differ from mine. Ocaisonally they might even be right on a point or two. In fact I can remember once I changed my mind about something but on further thought changed it back.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #261676 - 05/03/15 04:25 AM

So far I have taken my Parker Hale Mauser 98 in .30-06, a Whitworth Mauser 98 in .375 H&H Mag to Africa, plus a couple of double rifles, and borrowed a Mauser 98 in 8x68S.

If it hasn't got two barrels, only M98s for me.

Next trip, sometime in the future ether, it might be a Mauser M03.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

Reged: 27/04/08
Loc: From the Kalahari to the USA
Re: Dreams of Africa with a standard Mauser 98 [Re: NitroX]
      #261677 - 05/03/15 04:51 AM

I have to agree with the Mauser 98 folks . I have had quite a few of both rifles : Mauser Oberndorf Sporters and Pre 64 Model 70 Winchesters mostly pre war versions . I have had 2 problems with the pre 64 . Firstly the Model 70 Winchester uses a cone style breach that basically leaves the back part of the case unsupported . My main problem with the Winchester 70 is the multi piece bottom metal and 4 screws holding this whole conglomeration together . The barrel screw is nothing but a nightmare : very easily stripped . Every pre 64 I have ever had had difficulty maintaining zero. To rectify this mess I eliminated the barrel screw and pillar bedded the other 2 main action screws . I also had new action screws made with beefier heads . If a pre 64 Winchester 70 is to be used for a main rifle I highly suggest doing this and even going further by replacing the entire Winchester bottom metal to a one piece Oberndorf aftermarket type . The Mauser 98 is much superior in handling pressure . Mausers have been used for over a century on every Contenental with no equal. My 98 Sporters never lose their zeros unlike Winchester 70's . I consider the Sako Forester and Finnbear rifles superior to the Winchester 70 . Of course a rifle is a very personal weapon and every person has their own preferences . I can only give you my experience .

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Dreams of Africa with a standard Mauser 98 [Re: Deutsche_Vortrekker]
      #261679 - 05/03/15 05:15 AM

The only rifle I have ever sold was a Winchester M70 Featherweight with the controlled feed action.

Firstly it was horribly inaccurate. This model at the time was pretty much known for terrible "accuracy". I'm talking about 6 inch "groups" at 100 yards. I had it glass bedded, the barrel free floated, changed the mounts and changed the scope. No better, so sold it off.

Secondly as part of trying to perfect handloads for it, seated bullets to touch the lands. A bullet ended up getting pulled out of its case when ejected, so the powder spilled through out the action. It took SO LONG to remove ALL the powder grains, as the action would not work without all the powder totally being removed. Never had the problem with the military designed Mausers. And also have never seated bullets to actually touch the lands in any rifle and especially not a hunting rifle.

Some of my other bolt action rifles shoot as well as 1/4 of an inch, most shoot better than 1 MOA. 6 MOA is ridiculous for any factory to release.

I accept other models probably shoot a lot better but ...

I just like Mausers anyway and would have a multi barrel M98 instead of an M03 if it was affordable for me.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Norman4
.300 member

Re: Dreams of Africa with a standard Mauser 98 [Re: DarylS]
      #261703 - 05/03/15 10:18 AM

Quote:

Just to be different - the 9.5x68 made a nice moose rifle on a 98 action. Ballistics-wise - about identical to the .375 Ruger, but the Ruger is "just" a factory cartridge.

The 9.5x68S is a .375 on the 8x68S case.

Daryl, I've never heard of this one. How would it compare to the 9.3x64?

Norman4
.300 member

Re: Dreams of Africa with a standard Mauser 98 [Re: Norman4]
      #261706 - 05/03/15 10:40 AM

I've owned both Mausers and Winchesters. They both have their issues. I'd consider both classic actions. Winchester receivers accept magnum length cartridges easier than standard length Mausers. The Winchester bottom metal can definitely be problematic, but fixable. Certainly modifying a Mauser action for any cartridge other than the one for which it was originally designed will also require some work. Winchester's trigger is sublime in it's design as is the three position safety. I've never cared for their magazine latch. In fact, Mauser's military magazine latch is pretty hard to beat unless it has become worn. I will say, that for me, I can fire a Winchester incredibly rapidly from the shoulder. Faster than a 98 Mauser, but that's me. I might actually give the edge to the earlier cock on close Mauser designs for rapidity of fire. I think one thing that often gets over looked about Mauser's designs are the fact that the cartridges and actions were designed as a whole unit. Together the whole rifle is an efficient design, which is where some of the "fealty'" issue comes up but often isn't articulated. An original Mauser, in it's original livery, is a thing of beauty to hold, fire, and reload with open sights. That's why the brothers advertised it as the "System Mauser." I will not denigrate the Winchester. That'd be just plain Un-American for one thing. Best, Norman4

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 94 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12173

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com