Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Brno 22F Set Trigger Question

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
CapeGunner
.224 member

Reged: 09/11/06
Loc: New York-Hudson Valley-USA
Brno 22F Set Trigger Question
      #246478 - 26/04/14 09:00 AM

I have a Brno 22F in 7x57, shoots extremely well, especially with 175grain bullets. Problem is the set trigger (rear one) is extraordinarily heavy. I have this type of trigger on several other rifles and really like them. The set spring is like a long, thin "O" that wraps around the actual mechanism and is very heavy. I looked at a German 98 type Mauser I have with virtually the same trigger but with only one "leg" on the "O" wrapping around the mechanism. Has anyone ever removed one of the legs? I would guess it would cut the rear trigger effort in half but figured better to ask before cutting. Getting parts for this one I would guess is highly unlikely.

Frank

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
John303
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/06
Loc: Canada
Re: Brno 22F Set Trigger Question [Re: CapeGunner]
      #246484 - 26/04/14 10:56 AM

I have a couple of Brnos and parts are rather scarce. Personally I wouldn't cut anything but rather
make a less "stiff" substitute (could even be made of wire) to first try things out. Just had a look at mine - it is quite hefty isn't it. How about instead of cutting it, thin it out. --- John

justcurious
.333 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Germany
Re: Brno 22F Set Trigger Question [Re: John303]
      #246537 - 27/04/14 06:27 PM

The force needed to set the(rear)trigger depends on the tension of the main spring and (more important) on the lever transmission.
The geometry of the commercial Mauser DST for example is a bit more optimized and therefore easier to handle.
You should have in mind that the tension of the mainspring is responsible for the power of the protrusion to make the mechanism working.
Changing the geometry is impossible and weakening the spring, what can be done, may result in easier setting but destroying the function.
So I would recommend : hands off !

CapeGunner
.224 member

Re: Brno 22F Set Trigger Question [Re: justcurious]
      #246616 - 29/04/14 01:01 AM

Thanks for the input guys.I won't be cutting anything on the original now. I had two old side locks from a junk Belgian SxS and you got me thinking. I pulled the mainsprings and they were just large enough to try making a spring to replace the existing one. It only took about and hour but I now have a pattern. I'll hit the gun shows and look for a couple of springs a little larger and I think I can make one work. The spring tension of the set trigger on my Mauser is about 8 1/2 lbs. The Brno is about 16. If I get one that is strong enough to function properly but closer to the Mauser weight I'll let you know. Thanks again I really appreciate the input.

Frank

justcurious
.333 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Germany
Re: Brno 22F Set Trigger Question [Re: CapeGunner]
      #247290 - 10/05/14 06:12 PM

Maybe that could be of interest.
http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=4941252

CapeGunner
.224 member

Re: Brno 22F Set Trigger Question [Re: justcurious]
      #247357 - 12/05/14 09:44 AM

Absolutely. These are the parts I would love to have,the small flat spring I have is broken looking at this picture. Only problem is they state "No International Shipping". Price seems reasonable for what they are offering.It would sure beat making one out of bar stock and all that will entail.
Thanks very much for thinking of me on this.
Frank

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 57 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2249

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com