Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Progress pictures of my 7x57 mauser

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
IronBuck
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: Pittsburgh PA, USA
Progress pictures of my 7x57 mauser
      #158471 - 08/04/10 05:35 AM

It has been a while since I visited these forums. I thought I'd stop in and share my latest custom mauser project.

I got back from a weekend trip during which I stopped by to see the progress of the custom Mauser Gary Stiles is making for me. It is always fun for me to get the time to stop and see Gary in his shop.....especially when that trip revolves around a rifle that he is building for me I had him make me a 35 whelen a few years ago, so this is my second project with Gary. I told him I wanted an "old school" style mauser in 7x57. Something that looked as if it could have been made back in the 30's. Here are a few of the details:

Stock and metal work done by Gary Stiles Gary Stiles
Charles Daly LH Mauser Action
Custom Bolt handle
Douglas Premium Barrel cut to 22"
Action “Cleaned up” by Gary
Satterlee 3 Position Safety
German Bottom metal from the 30's.....provided by Gary
Straight Grained 1/4 sawn Turkish walnut bought from Ray Atkinson about 5 years ago
Dakota Skeleton grip cap will be used
Sights will be from NEGC (Not yet in)
Red Recoil pad
Checkering will end up being a point pattern.

My Better half holding my rifle. She patiently endured my couple of hours with Gary talking about my project and rifles in general

Here is my rifle along with Gary's 1909 Argentine. I will be using the same sights he has on his finished rifle

A close up of the custom bolt handle. In a straight down original mauser style

Gary removed all of the "Charles Daly/ Zastava" advertising. And added this thumb cut. a GREAT touch. I love the look:)

Bottom metal from a 1930's vintage mauser. Cleaned up by Gary with the trigger guard re contoured. I really like the trim lines and the authentic feel it gives to my rifle.

I am very pleased with the progress. I can't wait to get it in my hands and in the field. It will be a joy to shoot and hunt with. Nice, light and trim. I love the way his stock designs fit me. It has been lots of fun planning this project with Gary. I hope I can find a few more left hand Actions....I just have so many ideas

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Progress pictures of my 7x57 mauser [Re: IronBuck]
      #158496 - 08/04/10 12:01 PM

Iron Buck,

Coming along beautifully! Yes, please keep the pictures coming. And all the very best in your quest for more actions - with your fine taste, there should be some eye candy for us to enjoy when you post pictures of your projects here!

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
Re: Progress pictures of my 7x57 mauser [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #158505 - 08/04/10 02:08 PM

WOW, even a lefty can have a classic Mauser. Very nice style and fittings. 7x57 is an excellent choice.
What sights are you going to put on the rifle? I like the barrel band front on the other rifle in the post.

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

IronBuck
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: Pittsburgh PA, USA
Re: Progress pictures of my 7x57 mauser [Re: 88MauSporter]
      #158555 - 09/04/10 04:00 AM

I will be using the same sights as on Gary's 30-06 in this photo:

I had Gary make me a 35 whelen on the same type of action a few years back. It turned out GREAT!

I saw a discussion here about the Remington 798. Which is the same Zastava action that I my customs on. They do clean up well. New safety and some action work.....and they can look like a classic mauser. They function really well after being honed and cleaned up. By far the best option for a lefty wanting a mauser! To bad they are no longer imported here. Hopefully that changes. I want to build a 416 ruger and maybe a 375HH on the same actions. Then maybe a mannlicher style rifle in 30-06. All good dreams for now [/image]

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Progress pictures of my 7x57 mauser [Re: IronBuck]
      #159650 - 28/04/10 08:50 PM

They do look like nice rifles. Good classy looks.

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: Progress pictures of my 7x57 mauser [Re: Rule303]
      #159667 - 29/04/10 06:03 AM

Very,very nice.Well done.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 56 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7227

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com