Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mauser Model B Sporter

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Forum Photos & Archive

Pages: 1
AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
Mauser Model B Sporter
      #58639 - 11/06/06 03:12 PM

Well I finally found time to post pics of the rifle I picked up 3 months ago; better late than never. It was made in 1928/29, is chambered in 9.3x62, has a Griffin & Howe QD scope mount, a Lyman peep sight and Lyman Alaskan scope, and shoots great (from cheap Prvi Partizan ammo no less).

Here is the story of how this rifle in this chambering came into my hands: In late 1913 the older of two brothers of Hungarian descent, from the area of Transylvania, accompanied an English Lord on safari in Kenya acting as a taxidermist. When WWI broke out during the excursion (1914; it must have been one hell of a safari), the Lord gave the taxidermist two options: make a run for it or turn himself in. The Hungarian made a break for Italian Somaliland, to Arabia, and then to Budapest where he tried to sign up but was refused. He told his younger brother of his adventures in Africa and of the performance of the 9.3x62.

The younger brother came to Canada in the 20's and died in the 60's. He picked this gun up over here and after he passed on it sat in his daughter's closet for over 40 years. She sold most of his guns off except this one (my guess is because no one knew what a 9.3x62 was). Her cousin sold it for her and I was the guy who bought it. He was the one who told me of his uncles.

I hope to Christen it this fall.

Edited by CptCurl (24/09/08 09:16 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Mauser Model A Sporter [Re: AdamTayler]
      #58652 - 11/06/06 09:46 PM

Adam,

That's a marvelous rifle in a superb caliber.

In the context of your story of its heritage, I wonder how it got the American sighting systems on it (the Lyman scope in G&H mounts and the Lyman aperture)?

As I said, the caliber is simply outstanding. I have a plain Husky in that caliber, and it shoots great. Plenty of horsepower.

Best regards,

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
      #58661 - 12/06/06 02:51 AM

nice gun adam,
it is an oberdorf type "B" half octagon to round double set triggers schnabel type forend typical german style flip up rear sights whoever put that scope on ,if it was G&H, it looks like from the picture that the bolt handle was bent a little closer to the stock but does not seem to be altered other than that, that is something G&H would have done.....paul

AdamTayler
.375 member

Re: Mauser Model A Sporter [Re: CptCurl]
      #58722 - 13/06/06 12:14 PM

Thanks Curl

I do not know when in the rifles life it had the extras put on, but I plan to keep it rigged like it is. I hope to have an opportunity to take an elk with it this fall.

Adam

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

AdamTayler
.375 member

Re: Mauser Model A Sporter [Re: pjaln]
      #58724 - 13/06/06 12:36 PM

Paul

I looked in "Original Oberndorf Sporting Rifles" by Speed, Schmid, & Herrmann and thought it was a model B as well, but someone later told me otherwise and I believed him because he seemed to know what he was talking about. Now going back to reference the book, the rifle looks like a Model B pattern No.120. Chequering to the forend was an option and I think it is because of this the someone thought it was a Model A. Thanks for the heads up, I'll change the title.

Would G&H still have a record of this rifle?

Adam

--------------------

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
      #58784 - 14/06/06 05:43 AM

adam,i have a type B in 8X60 looks very much like yours
sometimes people assume because it is a 93x62 that it is a type A, type A would be :

145/8 lop i guess for shooting without a jacket on
horn forend
express 1 standing 4 folding leaves ,barrel band sling swivel
some 9.3,s were made with 26 inch barrels most had single trigger with floorplate release in the trigger guard some had rubber butt plates as opposed to horn

i have 3 G&H rifles if i call them they cant and wont tell me a thing about them which is one thing i like about english company,s all the records you want
btw. is the bolt handle bent a little to clear the scope?i thought it looked it from the pics......paul

AdamTayler
.375 member

Re: Mauser Model A Sporter [Re: pjaln]
      #59426 - 29/06/06 01:12 PM

Paul

Sorry for the late reply. I do not think it was bent but I would have to compare it to another one to find out.

--------------------

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #59734 - 08/07/06 04:13 PM

Adam,

What an incredibly beautiful rifle and what history! Congratulations on a fantastic purchase. This year's hunting season is going to be particularly memorable for you.

Cheers!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

A10ACN
.300 member

Reged: 30/01/05
Loc: USA
Re: Mauser Model B Sporter [Re: AdamTayler]
      #61650 - 25/08/06 05:35 AM

Yep, that's a Model B, and a cool one at that!!! I would say that the sight and scope were installed over here, popular modifications at the time. Although anyone 'GOOD' COULD HAVE installed the G&H mount like that, I highly suspect G&H did the work since its properly mounted with no bolt heads showing.
Way cool rifle! How about that oct-to-round barrel and rib??!! And that was a more or less standard rifle back then!! Nowadays, the factories can't make a decent, plain rifle and places like H&H, Purdy's and such charge $30K (US) to make a standard rifle the way it should be much less any actual 'custom' neat features!!!
Okay, okay, I'm going to take my meds, now!!!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6632

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com