Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: dutch surplus ammo

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
dutch surplus ammo
      #226124 - 28/02/13 09:33 PM

I have got 40 rounds of 6,5x53R dutch made pre ww 2 surplus ammo for testing my british Mannlicher. the rifle is now in the hands of the gunmaker for restauration but having a bad bore so I will see what happen with factory ammo before starting reloading.
the ammo seems to be made in 1935 by the a dutch arsenal in Breda ,iirc.
it looks perfect outside and cost my little more than clips alone today so it was a good business. anyone here shoot ammo similar like this last year's? will the primer work? I suspect it have corrosive primers but this is not a problem if you know it.
ammo and clips had have a thin layer of fat, is this common with dutch military ammo? dutch east and west india had a very humid climate so fat could be there to prevent oxidise.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Edited by CptCurl (05/06/13 10:22 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Oldbrit
.333 member

Reged: 04/04/10
Loc: UK
Re: dutch surplus ammo [Re: lancaster]
      #226125 - 28/02/13 10:00 PM

I have shot commercial Kynoch rounds in 375 X 2½ dating back to the mid-1930s with no problems. Just make sure you thoroughly clean your bore with wet patches to get rid of the corrosive primer residue after shooting. Your ammunition looks to be in good clean condition and should be OK to shoot.

Have we got a slight language mix-up? By "fat" do you mean "wax"? I've had 303 British ammunition with a wax coating. Either way, I'd wipe it off before I shot the ammunition just to reduce the thrust forces on the bolt head. Perhaps that's being overly cautious but I tend to be that way with older rifles. They're beautiful, mature ladies and should be treated with gentleness, care and respect and the results can be wonderful.

Edited by Oldbrit (28/02/13 10:02 PM)

Muzz
.224 member

Reged: 13/09/12
Loc: SA, Australia
      #226127 - 28/02/13 10:09 PM

I bought some similarly-marked ammo at a local gun show last year. I pulled one round, emptied out the flake powder and fired on just the primer. Even though the case was showing corrosion around the base, the primer fired perfectly. I don't know, but I suspect it's corrosive, as it smelt very different from a modern primer. Your ammo looks in much better condition than the stuff I bought.

Strangely, the primer is a berdan, but the brass case only has a single flash hole, so I could press the primer out in the usual way. The main problems for reloading are that the primer is an unusual diameter, and there's the anvil in the primer pocket.

Muzz.

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: dutch surplus ammo [Re: Muzz]
      #226130 - 28/02/13 10:34 PM

thank you very much
being made before WW 2 I suspect corrosive primer in any way and will care for it.
the "fat" feels more like modern grease for mechanics than some kind of wax and feels like being made last year.I was wipe this of without problems because it had attract some dust that made it into the box.

"Perhaps that's being overly cautious but I tend to be that way with older rifles. They're beautiful, mature ladies and should be treated with gentleness, care and respect and the results can be wonderful. "

I am with you

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
      #226174 - 01/03/13 06:49 AM

I fired a bunch of this off in one of my old girls, had a lot of hang fires & some miss fires, even if struck several times .
Mine was single flash hole to, I reloaded some by reaming out the pocket & removing the anvil at the same time.

Even with the hang fires & crude open sights on my military carbine it shot very well, also cleaned up the bore with those steel solids, a bit of a waste of nice 160gr solids really.

On some I pulled the projectile, saved the powder, reprimed & reloaded again.

I forgot about that lovely old girl you got some time ago, it looked like it will be a beauty, can't way to see more of her .

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: dutch surplus ammo [Re: Sarg]
      #226185 - 01/03/13 08:34 AM

Since the brass is in such good shape, I'd think about pulling the bullets and re-priming - probably. If the primers are Murcuric, they'll rot the brass with a single firing. If the primers are Chlorate-based primers, they'll ruin the brass AND the bore unless cleaned and cleaned again. If there is ANY pitting in the bore whatsoever, you will not get all the corrosivness of the priming out. In my honest opinion. The shooting corrosive primers in a rifle I cared about, would not happen.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 62 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2928

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com