Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Custom Mannlicher Scope Mount

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

MikeRowe
.333 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Arkansas, USA
Custom Mannlicher Scope Mount
      02/10/12 12:17 PM

This Mannlicher Schoenauer needed a detachable scope mount with no alterations to the basic rifle.

We elected to mount the Leupold 1.5-5X utilizing the rearsight dovetail and a base sweated onto the bridge flat above the bolt release (making it easy to remove at a later time if necessary).

Also I wanted to address some of the issues some of my clients have had with claw style and EAW type mounts. Namely, the small blind crevices that collect all sorts of debris and which are difficult to clean out in the field. The locking mechanisms were mentioned as sometimes being fiddly and difficult to manipulate when using gloves. And it needs to be relatively easy to maintain for wear takeup in the long run.

The scope loads at right angles to the barrel on the left side, and pivots around to the rear base, where it locks in. To remove, the eyepiece is grasped with the right hand, and the lever depressed by the right thumb at the same time, and it is lifted slightly and pivoted off.

The front mount is stouter than it looks in the pictures, it's actually a large spring. It is machined at the front to match the rear rounded portion of the rearsight base so the recoil is taken there as well as at the rear base (not that this is a real big issue with a 6.5).

I have been studying high speed photography of rifles being fired, and I am amazed that even with mild recoiling calibers, the rifles behave like limp spagetti. So some sort of shock absorber may be a good idea.

The rifle needed to have as trim as possible mounting hardware on it with the scope dismounted, yet still have a functional rearsight.

Stephen Coker kindly took a photograph of me sighting the rifle in on the standing rest. I use this in preference to a bench for all light hunting rifles. I have found they will shoot to a different point if shot off a benchrest. I get to do the shooting, as I am a much better shot than he is. And modest, too.

A detachable scope mount must return to the same place. This is a composite group of three pairs of shots, with the scope dismounted and remounted in between.

Edited by CptCurl (19/11/12 12:07 AM)

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Custom Mannlicher Scope Mount MikeRowe 02/10/12 12:17 PM
. * * Re: Custom Mannlicher Scope Mount Carpetsahib   25/11/12 12:01 AM
. * * Re: Custom Mannlicher Scope Mount MikeRowe   27/11/12 05:47 AM
. * * Re: Custom Mannlicher Scope Mount Carpetsahib   28/11/12 01:11 AM
. * * Re: Custom Mannlicher Scope Mount dons   02/10/12 09:28 PM
. * * Re: Custom Mannlicher Scope Mount Igorrock   02/10/12 10:41 PM
. * * Re: Custom Mannlicher Scope Mount kuduae   28/11/12 03:18 AM
. * * Re: Custom Mannlicher Scope Mount Igorrock   28/11/12 11:41 PM
. * * Re: Custom Mannlicher Scope Mount A10ACN   30/11/12 05:53 PM
. * * Re: Custom Mannlicher Scope Mount MikeRowe   01/12/12 12:50 AM
. * * Re: Custom Mannlicher Scope Mount StephenCoker   02/10/12 11:26 PM
. * * Re: Custom Mannlicher Scope Mount mehulkamdar   03/10/12 12:10 AM
. * * Re: Custom Mannlicher Scope Mount k3030AI   21/11/12 06:58 AM
. * * Re: Custom Mannlicher Scope Mount Caprivi   02/10/12 12:31 PM
. * * Re: Custom Mannlicher Scope Mount Caprivi   02/10/12 12:36 PM
. * * Re: Custom Mannlicher Scope Mount MikeRowe   02/10/12 01:06 PM

Extra information
2 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 9478

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com