Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: ? on obtaining a usable unset pull w M-S double set triggers

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

BrittanyMan
.224 member

Reged: 31/05/16
Loc: Midwest USA
? on obtaining a usable unset pull w M-S double set triggers
      17/08/16 01:21 PM

First let me say that I am enjoying getting to know my first Mannlicher-Schoenauer, a 1952 carbine in .270 WCF w/ Jaeger detachable sidemount & Lyman Alaskan scope & I've fitted another Jaeger slide & medium height rings w/ a contemporary Leupold 2 x 7 scope to the original base.

After spending the spring & summer shooting it on the range I'm very impressed with the accuracy (100 yd. 3 shot groups 1" & under with 130, 150 & 160 grain bullets) & most importantly, the gun holds it's zero. Very good performance for light carbine w/ good handling qualities made in 1953 & not far off the performance I get from a couple of custom rifles using pre 64 Winchester M70 actions that are heavier.

My only issue is the unset trigger pull of >8 lbs. (my trigger pull scale only goes to 8 lbs.)

I've got a wonderful set pull @ 12 ounces & I would most likely use the set mode for most hunting situations but I would like to have the option of using the trigger unset if need be & for me that means a trigger pull of no more than 4 lbs. I can live with the long take up inherent with unset double triggers but I can't deal with the heavy pull. I'll add the caveat that with the low mounted Leupold scope in place I cannot use the wing safety & must depend on the trigger blocking side safety so adequate sear engagement to prevent accidental discharge is very important.

At this point I've done nothing more than look at a schematic of the M-S double set trigger system & I would like to hear from any forum members experienced with the M-S (or other) double set trigger system on what realistic expectations are on safely lightening the unset trigger pull & how to accomplish it.

2 days & no response & I note that in the gunsmithing forum someone has asked a similar question re. obtaining a lighter unset pull on BRNO double set triggers w/o a response either.

Let me rephrase the question. Does anybody know if a reasonably light unset pull can be obtained or does the geometry of the trigger levers dictate a very heavy unset pull? My only past experience has been with percussion rifle double set triggers & I don't remember many having unset pulls as heavy as on my 1952 M/S.

Edited by BrittanyMan (19/08/16 05:47 AM)

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* ? on obtaining a usable unset pull w M-S double set triggers BrittanyMan 17/08/16 01:21 PM
. * * Re: ? on obtaining a usable unset pull w M-S double set triggers JDL   03/11/16 09:39 AM
. * * Re: ? on obtaining a usable unset pull w M-S double set triggers ChrisPer   10/11/16 01:27 AM
. * * Re: ? on obtaining a usable unset pull w M-S double set triggers Louis   10/11/16 03:46 AM
. * * Re: ? on obtaining a usable unset pull w M-S double set triggers BrittanyMan   12/11/16 04:45 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1914

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com