Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Army & Navy Steyr

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
Army & Navy Steyr
      #224036 - 21/01/13 03:20 PM

Picked up my Army & Navy Steyr 6.5 x 53 R and would like some help with the numbers on the gun. There is 40127 engraved on the trigger guard which I thought would be done by Army & Navy. There is 9992 stamped on the barrel and in front of the magazine. This has a B stamped between the 99 and the 92. Does this mean the rifle was by Gibbs ? Then there is a 109 stamped on both the barrel and receiver which I Thought may have been the original Steyr stampings. There are photos below and I would appreciate any information anyone can give me.

Edited by CptCurl (04/06/13 09:32 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
Re: Army & Navy Steyr [Re: Claydog]
      #224039 - 21/01/13 03:32 PM

Very nice. Does it say any of the "Regulated" "Sighted" "Sold" by stuff ???

The Dutch Mannlicher Steyr's are very cool, in a few months I hope to be uploading pictures of my pending one.

--------------------
To live life as it is handed to me from God

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
Re: Army & Navy Steyr [Re: Caprivi]
      #224041 - 21/01/13 03:42 PM

Yes its the rifle from my post before Christmas. Barrel says shot and regulated by army & navy csl london

Edited by CptCurl (04/06/13 09:33 PM)

AlanD
.275 member

Reged: 14/12/08
Loc: NSW Australia
Re: Army & Navy Steyr [Re: Claydog]
      #225034 - 09/02/13 08:39 PM

Records for the Army and Navy Co-operative Stores are held by Glasgow University Archives.

They may have details of when and to whom your rifle was sold.
Here is the link.

www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_67061_en.pdf

Regards

AlanD
Sydney

Kiwi_bloke
.333 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: New Zealand
Re: Army & Navy Steyr [Re: AlanD]
      #225100 - 11/02/13 07:49 PM

Since you're based in Australia, I wouldn't rule out that this is a gun registration number added later in it's life when rifle registration was adopted in England or when it first arrived in Australia. I have an 8x56 Mannlicher-Schoenauer factory dated 1925 with a very similar engraved number, A1525, on the trigger guard and also repeated on the bottom of the scope body. The rifle is stamped "Not English Make", so it was imported into England soon after manufacture. However the name, S.L. Rohu, Gunmaker, Sydney, appeared on the original sling. I purchased it in New Zealand, so it's been around.

One of the arguments against registration of firearms is that they'd be defaced by putting extra numbers or even bar codes on them. One of those would look good on a classic Mannlicher, eh? Authorities deliberately avoid hiring people with any affinity to gun owners, which explains why they have several hundred Winchesters on such records in Australia with the same serial number M1894 and similar. This is, of course, the model number and the real serial number is on the other side. This sort of explains why they couldn't just accept the maker's serial number and had to stamp or engrave their own.

I took my .360 No 5 rook rifle serial number and asked the A&N record keepers about it. They told me it was a 20 gauge shotgun. Go figure.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3207

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com