Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mannlicher Schoenauer .458

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
yukon_delta
.224 member

Reged: 15/07/07
Loc: Palmer, Alaska
Mannlicher Schoenauer .458
      #100252 - 25/03/08 11:47 AM

I'm curious who has ever owned, handled or even spied one from across a crowded room? I really like everything I have ever read about them but have never even seen one. I would love to own one someday.

For that matter, who likes the MS in general and why?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
Re: Mannlicher Schoenauer .458 [Re: yukon_delta]
      #100261 - 25/03/08 01:38 PM

I know two PG's in Zimbabwe who use .458 Mannlichers. Have handled but not shot either one. I liked the general feel and they were both very smooth. It was the primary weapon of one PH but the other used a 416Rigby CZ550 and used the Mannlicher as backup or as a loaner. They seemed to be of the normal top Mannlicher quality in fit and finish. Can't make up my mind whether I LIKE or DISLIKE the removable magazines.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Mannlicher Schoenauer .458 [Re: zimhunter]
      #100415 - 27/03/08 12:19 AM

A member of our Collectors Club in Darwin has a .458 MS. It's the one with the over-done Monte-Carlo stock including dished cheek-piece, white-line spacers, the whole works. Despite looking like a canoe-paddle, it centre-punched the bull perfectly at 50 yds on the one occasion I was invited to fire it.

Quote:

For that matter, who likes the MS in general and why?

I don't like Mannlicher Schönauers.....

...........................I LOVE them!

Why? Superb quality of manufacture, intriguing design, silky-smooth operation, stunning accuracy....

Need I say more?

Must admit, though, I much prefer the classic design over the flamboyant variations produced for the American market post-1952.

In fact, its time for a grumble. I have never understood why the American importers (Stoeger?) insisted on a swept-back bolt-handle on the post-WWII imports from Steyr. The spoon-handle bolt should be operated by placing the thumb on the base (top) and the fingers under the extremity, and lifting. This is made quite difficult by fitting a curved spoon-bolt. In fact, it is made quite difficult by fitting a scope! I often read criticism of the MS by authors who could not operate the bolt from the shoulder, couldn't operate it quickly or efficiently, etc. Bolt-handle too far forward of the trigger-guard, they say. Makes me wonder if they've ever fired one. They certainly never hunted with one!

IMO Steyr stuffed-up a perfect system when they agreed to alter the bolt-handle on the Model 1952.

...and don't get me started on plastic detachable boxes to replace Otto Schönauer's marvellous rotary spindle magazine!!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
Re: Mannlicher Schoenauer .458 [Re: Marrakai]
      #100420 - 27/03/08 01:27 AM

They are great rifles. I am not that thrilled with some of the more, oh let's just say 'exotic' iterations for the US market after 1950, but I have several early MS in the more traditional early 1900s (1903, 1908 actions, etc) guns as well as the jewel of my MS collection, a Holland & Holland takedown using the 1903 MS action for their first belted cartridge, the 400/375. H&H and several other British maker used the MS action at this time before deciding to switch to the Mauser 98. The MS is a delight to use and my early MS still function smoothly and provide not just a reliable weapon, but a tactile delight whenever you cycle the action.

I also have several of the Greek military MS versions. I consider them the best crafted military bolt actions built, despite the general view that its a Mauser 98 or nothing. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

Edited by dnovo (27/03/08 01:30 AM)

dons
.333 member

Reged: 18/08/07
Loc: Essex
Re: Mannlicher Schoenauer .458 [Re: Marrakai]
      #100461 - 27/03/08 09:13 AM

Amen to the above 2 comments.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #100467 - 27/03/08 09:42 AM

Yukon Delta,

The M-S rifles are so smooth operating that they have to be operated to be believed. I have bought one with a corroded barrel in India for the price of a dinner for two and am hoping to import it to the USA and have it rebarreled. You DO need to shoot one. Believe me, you would be hooked.

They are being made again these days by the Erich Schoder firm in Austria if you want an expensive, new, full custom, or, of course, you could always find one in good condition, used.

Good luck and welcome to Mannlicher madness!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
Re: Mannlicher Schoenauer .458 [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #100475 - 27/03/08 09:56 AM

Is this madness? NO, it is collecting! (And no, I don't have pecs like the guys in THE 300, stupid movie, but my wife liked the beefcake.) Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: Mannlicher Schoenauer .458 [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #100479 - 27/03/08 10:13 AM

Have one in a 270 with DST. The bolt has to be handled to understand how well these guns are made--Very Impressive!!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: Mannlicher Schoenauer .458 [Re: hoppdoc]
      #100520 - 27/03/08 07:32 PM

I've got an old Greek MS that I sporterised using the original military stock about 20 years ago. Believe it or not there was enough meat in the rudimentary pistol hand to make it look like a classic sporter. I cut up a broken ebony elephant to make grip and fore-end caps - but left out the white spacers. Sheepishly I admit that the home-made spoon handle (I got Jack Millar to weld it on) did copy the rakish, swept-back look. I must check it out using Marrakai's method. As to the MS action: I love the magazine and the smoothness but wonder about the strength and slow locktime.
- Paul

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
Re: Mannlicher Schoenauer .458 [Re: Paul]
      #100611 - 28/03/08 11:53 AM

I own 3 Mannlicher Schoenauer rifles - One is the original 6.5MS sporter in 1903 action (see old post http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....true#Post88703)

The other is the same action but a 1930 Greek carbine conversion. Now I have just got the 1910 9.5X57 - basically the same action but a different caliber. This one is a take down model with tang peep sight.

I first handled one of these rifles in India in about 1977. I got addicted & have been looking for them ever since. The bolt action is like buttered silk. The rifle is an extension of my arms & it shoots like my 22. But it drops game like my 7mm08!

It is a piece of craftsmanship that even the great Mauser does not match. The magazine feeds in-line with control feed - each caliber has its own custom made spool / spindle for perfect feeding. The steel butt pad & 5 piece cleaning rod in the butt stock are an added touch of practical class. All this in a rust blued finish!

I have never been as impresses with the later models, though they are also very nice rifles.

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

yukon_delta
.224 member

Re: Mannlicher Schoenauer .458 [Re: Nakihunter]
      #101208 - 02/04/08 01:32 PM

I've been out of pocket and somehow didn't get notice of these postings. To clarify, I am only speaking of the MS guns...not the Steyr guns (commonly known as SM's) with removable clips, etc. as mentioned above...and I'm not really talking about mannlicher style full stock guns but rather the Mannlicher Schonenauer brand.

I have to admit that a 6.5 or 7mm and 458 MS would be the cat's meow. I contacted 4 major dealers (like Champlins) and none of them had seen a 458 MS in years and between the 4 of them had only owned 5 of them in their entire career...that was 2 of the dealers and the other 2 had NEVER had one come through their shop. I was really surprised by that and figured I was just having a tough time finding one because I was looking in the wrong places. Apparently, they are not meant to be found!

yukon_delta
.224 member

#101210 - 02/04/08 01:40 PM

I also wanted to ask if anyone could recommend some good reading on Mannlicher Schoenauers in general? Any must have books on this subject?

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
      #101216 - 02/04/08 06:35 PM

Check this site & ask the guys there. http://discover-net.net/~kanotex/mannlicher/

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

Collath_500BPE
.300 member

Reged: 30/08/06
Loc: Europe, Austria
      #105201 - 15/05/08 10:29 PM

Hello yukon_delta,
I will show you the QUEEN OF ALL MANNLICHER SCHÖNAUER'S - it's the ultra perfect working rifle in .458 Win.Mag.
regards Johann [image][/image]

Collath_500BPE
.300 member

Re: Mannlicher Schoenauer .458 [Re: Collath_500BPE]
      #105202 - 15/05/08 10:30 PM

[image][/image]

Collath_500BPE
.300 member

#105206 - 15/05/08 10:32 PM

[image][/image]

GG375
.333 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Loc: Brisbane
      #105379 - 17/05/08 03:55 PM

I love them too. I own a little 1903 take down and am currently having a semi custom made up using the 1950 barrelled action I bought in the UK last year. The stock was snapped into 3 pieces in transit from William Evans to another shop in London who were doing the exporting for me. It is a 9.3x62 and when I get it back it will have a 2-7x Kahles scope in EAW claw mounts, an English style stock using a lovely piece of Turkish Walnut and will be rust blued. I can't wait!

Regards.

GG

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: Mannlicher Schoenauer .458 [Re: GG375]
      #105388 - 17/05/08 06:45 PM

collath

you make me cry with envy, that is such a rare rifle and in good nick as well.
thanks very much for showing it, please post it as a seperate post in big bore rifles.

best regards

peter

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #107377 - 14/06/08 08:40 AM

Collath_500BPE, thank you for those pictures! I had one exactly like yours, but like the dumb butt that I am, I traded it in on a little 8X57JR H. Barella double rifle! Though I still have the little double, I certainly wish I'd bought it outright, instead of trading for it!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Mannlicher Schoenauer .458 [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #107384 - 14/06/08 01:22 PM

Collath500BPE

Wow what a honey!

I wouldn't kick that out of my vault.
Have you hunted with it?

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8579

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com