Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Wildboar hunt recommendations for Europe

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1
carpediem4570
.300 member

Reged: 28/06/08
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Wildboar hunt recommendations for Europe
      #385050 - 01/06/24 10:44 AM

Good Evening:

I am writing from Alberta, Canada. I am very interested in going on a wild boar hunt to Europe. I am looking for recommendations from others.

I’ve looked at some ads on the www and am curious about pricing. Does the hunt include accommodation?

Are there trophy fees?

Any hidden costs?

Can I bring my own rifle?

My only caveat is I do not want to go to any country that supports the Russian state, ie Hungary, Serbia, etc.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Max

--------------------
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-Chrdonnay in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
carpediem4570
.300 member

Reged: 28/06/08
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: Wildboar hunt recommendations for Europe [Re: carpediem4570]
      #385163 - 07/06/24 08:29 AM

I am absolutely shocked. I would have thought there were a few people on here that could offer some insight. Or is this posted in the wrong place.

Kind regards,

Max

--------------------
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-Chrdonnay in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #385164 - 07/06/24 10:44 AM

I am surprised no one has chimed in, myself.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #385165 - 07/06/24 11:11 AM

There are several members on here I'm sure would have some information. One person in particular. I'm not sure what the politics of his country is. I'm not sure why what is relevant?

NE members might take some days to drop in, and if they see this thread or not.

Euro hunters often hunt boar, not through an outfitter, but through their own hunting rights rented forests and lands. I've never hunted directly hunted European boar. But have been interested. Would be looking for an invitation to join acquaintances, friends in France, Germany if there at the right season. I have been invited to hunt in Bavaria, a couple of times. A French friend OWES me a hunt. I just need to be there at the right time!

Boar hunting is often done by attending drives. Groups of men and dogs, pushing boars towards lines of shooters. The hunters needing to be good running shots and also be able to identify the sex and maybe age ranges of the running boars. I'm a bit paranoid of shooting the wrong beast e.g. a breeding boar sow.

I have hunted boar from a hochsitz by being invited to join with the hotel owner to hunt with him from one night. During the Heym International Challenge, to which I was invited due to NitroExpress.com . We didn't see any boar, maybe one. Some foxes. Maybe a shot at a boar? I forget. We didn't get anything. Was interesting to see what was done and experiencing it. I remember Max (?) used night vision optics, had a camera mounted to aim through the scopes. The shot was taken aiming with the small TV screen mounted beside the scope. New stuff for me. His hochsitz was a large horse float. Two floors, the upper floor the hochsitz. Care needed to be taken as it was a bit noisy.

Another of our members attended shoots as a guest himself of a German Baron. Big elaborate affairs. I met the Baron/Freiherr during a trip. S, our member had a small herd of wild boar himself in his Swedish forest.

I've hunted in Europe a half dozen times. I've Always borrowed a loan rifle or shotgun.

Sorry I can't assist really with a European outfitter or booking agent.

Good luck.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
Re: Wildboar hunt recommendations for Europe [Re: NitroX]
      #385172 - 07/06/24 06:40 PM

At first - the ways that Boars are hunted here in EU - JFYK.

Single hunts

1. High seat hunting at the feeder and (or) at passages. Usually, the boars that are coming to the feeder are well known, on passages are random. Hunts are taking place in the late afternoons into the night and can last as long as you are able to sit it out (whole night is doable – however during winter months nights are bloody long...luckily usually pigs come earlier). For piglets and yearlings is all year round same for trophy tusker – however for tusker (in my parts) best time is late February early March, but you can get it later as well. Sows are protected from March till July in parts around here – depends on a country.

2. Stalking – usually during the night, or in good areas also during the day (spring-summer months), when nights are shorter and in the spring when grass is growing, they like to graze into the day – after rain time is also prime…Moonlighted nights are hard to beat scenery like however dead dark night with thermal optics is usually more productive.

3. Hunting with good “Boar-dog” – there are parts and dogs where/with those hunts are doable – you start with a dog guide and his dog that is let loose and it sooner or later finds a boar – many times a tusker – dog is equipped with GPS tracker and once the boar is stationary you approach and shoot it – can be physically demanding.

Driven hunts

It can be done either free range or high fenced. If free range your expectations should be adjusted – many come, some shoot.
High fenced – much better opportunity wise – also some high fenced areas are so huge that you won’t notice the fence – only when entering and exiting – it will cost more tho.

BUT- If you are coming alone you will have to join a group of not known hunters (sometimes locals) – those scenarios on occasions don’t play out as expected…be prepared.

Just some thoughts…

For Slovenia and Croatia you can contact my friend at - there is no Boar mentioned on his site but we hunt together in Croatia and have some good connections there:

http://www.slovenia-hunting.com/language/en/hello/

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Wildboar hunt recommendations for Europe [Re: 93mouse]
      #385174 - 07/06/24 11:05 PM

Thanks. I was thinking of you as one of the best to reply.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Wildboar hunt recommendations for Europe [Re: NitroX]
      #385175 - 08/06/24 12:51 AM

As was I.
Good report 93mouse.
I was surprised by the night hunting as we have NONE here in B.C.
Discharge of a firearm between 1 hour after sunset and 1 hour before sunrise, is illegal.
With waterfowl, the timing is 1/2 hour after and before.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: Wildboar hunt recommendations for Europe [Re: DarylS]
      #385179 - 09/06/24 02:16 AM

93Mouse, that is a great report.

Night hog hunting is fairly common in the US using thermal and night vision scopes, some having built in cameras.

--------------------
RB

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 253

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com