Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Bear season started - big time

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1
93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
Bear season started - big time
      #100278 - 25/03/08 10:14 PM

Shot near by with .30-06 - Oryx bullet - run 50 m - weight 288 kg:

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Bear season started - big time [Re: 93mouse]
      #100280 - 25/03/08 10:55 PM

93, really interesting and a great bear!!

I see lots of moss at the base of the trees.

No snow?

Our bear season starts soon {April 15}, but it'll be slow for a while as we have several meters of snow in most areas that are not down low in the river bottoms.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

93mouse
.375 member

Re: Bear season started - big time [Re: 9.3x57]
      #100281 - 25/03/08 11:02 PM

57 - bear was shot last week just prior of a snowy weekend so now there is app. 1/2m of it where bear layed...

9.3x57
.450 member

#100285 - 25/03/08 11:21 PM

Gotcha.

That is a HUGE bear for around here, and we'd get in big trouble for shooting a humpy, too. Black bear only here!!

Nice job!!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #100286 - 26/03/08 12:02 AM

Nice Russian Grizzly, 93 Mouse.
I've a friend in Yakusk (Siberia) who hunts those with an overunder Baikal with store-bought Russian slugs. They hunt bears in the winter while they are hibernating and get them to come out of the den, then shoot them. I made up an 8 pound package of balls and wads to send him, but the Fed Express cost was $345.00 and I couldn't afford to send him $10.00 worth of stuff for that price.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #100307 - 26/03/08 04:02 AM

Congratulations - that is a lovely bear and a great start to the season!

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Re: Bear season started - big time [Re: DarylS]
      #100309 - 26/03/08 04:10 AM

Quote:

I've a friend in Yakusk (Siberia) who hunts those with an overunder Baikal with store-bought Russian slugs. They hunt bears in the winter while they are hibernating and get them to come out of the den, then shoot them.

Thats like digging out foxes once they've gone to ground - not very sporting!

Edited by JabaliHunter (26/03/08 05:46 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Bear season started - big time [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #100333 - 26/03/08 08:26 AM

Sporting? - for the youngest member of the hunting party, it's plenty sporting. They tie a rope around his legs and he gets to crawl into the den to awaken the bear and get him riled enough to come out. When the lad screams & pulls frantically on the rope, they pull him out and shoot the bear that's coming fast, before it gets him. Apparently you only have to do this 'initiation' once. Talk about invoking a charge! How the 'white's hunt them there, I don't know. My friend is their equivalent of our 'First Nations'. They are only allowed shotguns, no rifles. Close-up, if armed with good slugs like Brenneke's no problem. They like both the over-under Baikals and side by sides from the same maker, of course.

--------------------
Daryl

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #100337 - 26/03/08 09:05 AM

That's a big bear 93mouse. At least compared to what we have up here. Was the hunt specifically for bear, or did it just happen to come along while hunting something else?

9.3x57
.450 member

#100349 - 26/03/08 10:50 AM

Quote:

Sporting? - for the youngest member of the hunting party, it's plenty sporting. They tie a rope around his legs and he gets to crawl into the den to awaken the bear and get him riled enough to come out. When the lad screams & pulls frantically on the rope,

HA!!!!!!

Ask my son!!

On his first bear we had a screwy experience, hearing the hounds sound bayed but having the sound come and go. Weirdest thing. The sound was loud and strong and then disappeared.

Eventually after hours of searching we found out why...

The bear had bayed in a culvert under a logging road and the dogs would enter the culvert then back out, back and forth.

My then-12-year-old son was so anxious to get to that bear. I peeked in the culvert on one end but no dice, the critter had blocked the light and was somewhere further in.

Sonny went to the other side of the culvert, hunkered down and crawled in the end.

AND THERE WAS THE BEAR!!

Breathing heavy and nose to nose with kiddo! I swear you've never seen a youngster pop out of a culvert so fast!!

Once calmed down from the roaring laughter we cut a long skinny fir pole, and one fellow shoved that in one end of the culvert while me and my kid stood above the other end. That bear busted out of that culvert like a furry cannonball and Sonny and me commenced volley fire at will with our .30-30's.

It was a little bear, but tasty, and that kid will never forget the time he almost got a French kiss from a black bear!!

--------------------

93mouse
.375 member

Re: Bear season started - big time [Re: EricD]
      #100382 - 26/03/08 06:10 PM

Erik it is a big bear for us as well - boar 18-20 years old in his peak - great trophy. It was a bear hunt only. Guys fill the feeders throughout the year (and are pretty sure what kind of bear is going to come) - then it is up to ministry of forests to release anual quota. Hunting is bound to moon phase (half moon - rising and on) - no artificial lights are allowed. Once bear starts to feed on a certain spot he/she becomes more or less regular - then it is all down to sit and wait. However some bears (especialy older ones) are more spooky than others so many tree stands are wind tight - once the bear starts to feed and you open the window there is a frame (usual - but depends on weather and wind) of up to 10 seconds that you should take a shot or bear will nose you. Shots are taken at close range (~30 m) and stands are 6 m or higher - therefore shooting is steep downwards - high aim is necesary due to steep angle.

I guess it is nice to see this kind of trophies taken recently - just a note - it takes at the most 2 moon phases for usuall ~100 bear quota to be taken here - all togehter that means bears are doing fine.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

#100392 - 26/03/08 09:15 PM

Quote:

Sporting? - for the youngest member of the hunting party, it's plenty sporting. They tie a rope around his legs and he gets to crawl into the den to awaken the bear and get him riled enough to come out. When the lad screams & pulls frantically on the rope, they pull him out and shoot the bear that's coming fast, before it gets him.

Can't argue with that!

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #100394 - 26/03/08 09:27 PM

93-

Great bear--congratulations---as mentioned by 57 --bear season in the west here in the US opens soon--but black bears only --hopefully that will change someday soon--plan to go out a bit with a buddy of mine--will feel good to get rid of the winter rust...

thx

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Bear season started - big time [Re: Ripp]
      #100411 - 26/03/08 11:52 PM

93 Mouse:

Very interesting account.

I am always fascinated by the methods used in other countries.

As a general rule as I read these multinational posts, I am finding that American hunting regulations are designed to make hunting more difficult. European rules are often designed to make the kill easier and to allow full reach of the quotas sent.

American rules grew out of the near extinction of many game animals caused my market hunting in the late 1800's and now must address conditions in the States today where the Common Man is allowed to hunt and thereby there are many hunters. Many hunters = need to limit success which has resulted in restrictive game laws, methods of take and bag limits.

Here in Idaho, we are allowed to bait, but the bait may only be set out just before the season. Some other States that allow bear hunting do not allow baiting at all. Interesting that your bear hunting rules are similar to ours. Not so your other big game regulations as you've noted in the past {bait, use of dogs, etc}.

93: can you run bear with hounds??

Only time I've ever seen a Euro browny was in the city-center of Berne, Switzerland. Beautiful animals.

--------------------

93mouse
.375 member

#100417 - 27/03/08 12:35 AM

No, no run with hounds - actually you are not permited to hunt it any other way than described. Bears are pretty "hot stuff" here and its just too much of a fuzz around if you ask me - EU keeps a close eye on them/us - when bear is shot it is immediately reported via cell phone to the state inspector. Once weighted and measured by inspector the butchering can begin.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #100419 - 27/03/08 12:55 AM

All this talk about bear hunting reminded me of an incident I experienced back in the '80's in the DDR (German Democratic Republic) before the wall came down.

I was visiting friends in Babelsberg, a Berlin suburb where the German film industry was once located. My friends lived across the street from the former Ufa studio, which produced most of the pre-war classic German films. He was a veterinarian and she was an official in the agricultural department. A noticable indication of their privileged status was the fact that they owned a Volvo station wagon, an unheard of luxury in those days.

At any rate, we were sitting in their living room and I happened to notice a large, well prepared bear skin hanging on the wall. I commented on it and asked the husband how he happened to be allowed to hunt it. There was an embarassed silence, and finally he admitted that the bear had belonged to a travelling circus and he had been called to treat it when it had gotten ill. When it died, he asked for and was given the hide in lieu of his professional fee.

At least he had the good grace to be embarassed about it.

DarylS
.700 member

#100432 - 27/03/08 03:38 AM

Quote:

- when bear is shot it is immediately reported via cell phone to the state inspector. Once weighted and measured by inspector the butchering can begin.

; Well, what were the weights and measruements, please?
; It looks to be a 7'10" (2.4 meters) bear to me, and about 550 lbs.(250Kilos) - Am I close? Just a guess- kinda laying things on the line, but interesting, none the less. It's more difficult to guess, considering it's just a photo.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #100509 - 27/03/08 02:17 PM

Congratulations. That's a fine bear. Very interesting to read about how bear are hunted in Slovenia as well. Actually the range of hunting there is eye opening. Keep up the good work.

Mouse, have you taken other bears before this one?

Black or brown bear, somewhere, not sure which part of the world yet (ie Asia or North America) is one of my dream ambitions for a future hunt.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

93mouse
.375 member

#100516 - 27/03/08 06:03 PM

Daryl - I wasn't present when measurements were taken - just a weight - 288kg - good eye.

John - I didn't shot that one - lucky guy on the pic is from the neighbourhood - nore have I shot any healthy bear myself before, shot 1 wounded and was present couple of times sitting next to the shooter on a tree stand when bears were taken. Baiting hunts are just not my cup of tee but would hunt a bear in a minute if tracking on foot would be allowed.

DarylS
.700 member

#100522 - 27/03/08 07:48 PM

Come West 93mouse, come West. Nothing more fun that coming across a pile of bear dung that is 16" in diameter and 8" tall- out in the middle of the bush. No baiting allowed here - all spot and stalk.
; A bear just about identical to the one you pictured, squaring 8 feet on the hide, was shot at 25 yards by a Yugoslavian hunter in our camp. He used a Styer 9.3x62- factory RWS 286gr. ammo. Bear dropped at the shot - smack dab in the middle of it's chest, front-on shot. Exciting stuff.

--------------------
Daryl

93mouse
.375 member

#100528 - 27/03/08 09:08 PM

Ha - I bet - I have some aquaintances here, that were hunting in New Foundland and on George River (Quebec) as well in BC and they speak highly of places and hunting there - will do someday but right now I am all in going back down to Africa and resources as well as time are limited.

Paatti
.333 member

Reged: 18/01/07
Loc: Finland
      #100557 - 28/03/08 01:09 AM

Congratulations! Very nice bear. Unfortunately we cant no more hunt bears in springtime. Our season started august 20.

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: Bear season started - big time [Re: Paatti]
      #100644 - 28/03/08 08:45 PM

That's a dandy bear! What type of mount is traditionally done with bears in Europe? Rugs? Skull?

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

93mouse
.375 member

Re: Bear season started - big time [Re: AspenHill]
      #100651 - 28/03/08 10:51 PM

Paati - why is that - also bear coat is uselless in August? Hunting season here is from October 1st - May 15th.

Ann - rug & skull, it also serves CIC established standard formulas for the measurement of trophies adopted here in EU. Bear trophy fee for client hunter (non-resident) is usually bonded to CIC points as well - goes for big bears, smaller are usualy charged with fixed price...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3854

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com