Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Sodwana bay

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Fishing

SAHUNT
Sponsor

Reged: 27/12/04
Loc: Centurion, RSA
Sodwana bay
      20/02/07 06:10 AM

We left on the 7th at 20h30 for Sodwana bay in KZN. We arrived at 07h30, very tired but ready for a lot of fun. We quickly unpacked, got the boat ready, checked the engines and left for the beach. By 10h00 we launched and were ready for the fun. We did not get anything on the first day and we were almost fast asleep on the boat. By 13hoo we decided to call it a day.

Next morning we left camp at 05h30 and by 06h00 we were in the deep water. We caught our first Bonnie and ended with 3 Cuta's for the day. Next day we got 7 Bonnie's and again 3 Cuta's. A couple of big things got hold of the bonnie's, what they were I don't know, after emptying about half the line they just give a big tug and they were gone.

The fourth day on the sea started well with 6 Bonnie's. We got a couple of huge things. We got a huge bite on a livie and before we could get the other two rods in it was lost. We were still bussy getting the line in to rigg it again when we got strikes on both thje lines. I lost mine after about 15 minutes and Christo lost his after about 20 minutes, we suspect it was Kingfish as the lines were clearly cut off by rocks. Not long after this we got another strike and again lost it. We were quite "gatvol" for not being able to land the fish. By 12h00 we decided to start heading back. We decided to put out 2 rapala's and trawl them back. We had 1 shad left, but all the riiggs were gone. I found an rather odd looking rigg with 2 small trebbles a J hook, some beads and a shiny spinner. I rigged it and added the small shad, we nicknamed it the bass rigg and put it out. Nothing happend all the way back home. As we got closer to the diving sites we decided it was time to bring in the lines, I asked Christo to first bring in the bass rigg. The next moment ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE, the line went running and the next moment we saw the sailfish coming out of the water. We were joking all the way about what would happen if we get a Sailfish. our biggest problem was that we are total rookies as far as bill fish. Gettig the lines in and following the fish was not the easiest thing to do due to the wind that made the sea very choppy and it is moving from the one side to the other. Eventually all the lines were in and Christo played the fish. I was ready with the gaff and Hennie handled the boat. Next moment the sailfish is next to the boat, I gaffed it and then hell brke loose, that fish was all of a sudden very pissed off. The batton was still in a hatch, eventually we got it and it was Hennies job to wack the fish on the head, he used his left hand and just could not get in a clear shot, he also did not want to hit the boat. THen I realised why he was using his left hand, his right hand was also on the gaff, very scared that we migt loose the fish. Well one knock later with his right hand the light went out for the fish. We loaded and we were real hapy chappies. The fish weighed 27 kg, that did not matter it was the first sailfish for the boat, we celebrated till late that evening. Friends of us could not believe our luck, they are well rigged for bill fish and that was all they went for on the trip.

That was our lucky shot, I guess from now on they will not come as easily. We learned a lot, for one we will not have a Sailfish with too much energy net to the boat again, next we will play him much more.

We had a very memorable trip, lots of fun and good fishing.

I will post the photos sometime tomorrow

The area where we did our preparations

Hennie and myself checking out the surf before launching

Some of the Cutas we caught

Our big achievement. It was a moment to big to really describe. The meat is fantastic

--------------------
Life is how you pass the time between hunting trips.
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

Edited by SAHUNT (21/02/07 02:37 PM)

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Sodwana bay SAHUNT 20/02/07 06:10 AM
. * * Re: Sodwana bay mikeh416Rigby   21/02/07 12:12 AM
. * * Re: Sodwana bay *DELETED* *DELETED* NitroXAdministrator   21/02/07 02:23 AM
. * * Re: Sodwana bay SAHUNT   21/02/07 02:41 AM
. * * Re: Sodwana bay Marrakai   21/02/07 11:38 AM
. * * Re: Sodwana bay Double_Trouble   20/02/07 11:41 PM
. * * Re: Sodwana bay Marrakai   20/02/07 12:37 PM
. * * Re: Sodwana bay SAHUNT   20/02/07 08:20 PM
. * * Re: Sodwana bay NitroXAdministrator   21/02/07 02:12 PM
. * * Re: Sodwana bay SAHUNT   21/02/07 04:58 PM
. * * Re: Sodwana bay Bigfive   17/04/07 05:01 PM
. * * Re: Sodwana bay SAHUNT   20/02/07 08:43 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2832

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com