Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 9# or 10# weight fly kit for Barra and similar?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Fishing

Pages: 1
ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
9# or 10# weight fly kit for Barra and similar?
      #207653 - 25/04/12 10:10 PM

What would be the best Fly kit option for Barramundi, Saratoga and similar?
Oh, and SAGE or G'Loomis?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 9# or 10# weight fly kit for Barra and similar? [Re: ozhunter]
      #207655 - 25/04/12 10:37 PM

Love flyfishing. Since I've never fished Bara, perhaps I'm overtackling the situation. Here, 15 to 40 pound fish are fighters.

I really like my 15foot 11wgt. Orvis for river fishing for heavy fish, but either of Sage or G.Loomis would be just fine - or Reddington, or St. Croix. A 9 weight would probably be OK for smaller fish to 12, maybe 15 pounds, but for predominantly larger, heavier fish like some posted here, I'd go with a 10 wgt. Those fish have large sides and fins - & appear as if they should fight well.

They look as if they'd be tough like a moderately sized Pacific Salmon which can be really hard on 9 wgt. fly gear in rivers. Tuff Line and other small diameter braids pack tightly on the reel (under the fly line) for extra backing (run protection) - merely my experience from fishing larger hard fighting fish here. Getting spooled is not fun at $90.00 per line.

My larger reels all have a minimum of 200yards of 30 pound modern braided backing. With my 9 weight, I was almost spooled by about a 30 pound Spring on the Bulkley River a few years back (on a 2" stonefly pattern, no less) - nothing I could do to stop him. I was wishing I had my big Orvis instead or at least a 10 wgt. single. Big fish pull hard & it's not fun to have to keep the rod almost pointed directly at him to avoid a broken rod. Not a damn thing I could do - he was headed back to the Pacific - no stopping him.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

DarylS
.700 member

Re: 9# or 10# weight fly kit for Barra and similar? [Re: DarylS]
      #207656 - 25/04/12 10:43 PM

After reading the post about gear fishing line weights and fish size (20 Kilos!!!!!), maybe forget the 9 wgt. altogether. Flyrods have such bending light tips, they don't have much in the way of power for horsing heavy fish. Sounds as if the big Orvis would work better - or a stip 10 or 11 wgt.(Sage) dedicated Barra Rod.

--------------------
Daryl

.375 member

Reged: 15/02/11
Loc: NT Australia
      #207664 - 25/04/12 11:46 PM

Ozhunter- I run two rods. A sage rplx 8wt and a gl2 loomis 10 wt. The loomis is a thug of a stick handles the bigger fish well. Even in tough territory. You know you have been using it at the end of the day. The 8wt Sage is great for good water, where there are not alot of snags. Have lost a couple over a metre because I couldnt apply the pressure to turn or stop them.
Mates run 9wt Sages of the RPLX type, or gloomis 9wts and these are a good compramise.Hope this helps Mick

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: 9# or 10# weight fly kit for Barra and similar? [Re: 264]
      #207697 - 26/04/12 04:49 PM

Ozhunter, I used a Loomis cross current GLX 9 wt and had no problems, our guide used it to take a good queenfish offshore and reckoned the drag created by the flyline meant sometimes he got decent fish to the boat quicker than chaps using spinning gear, best, Mike

ozhunter
.400 member

#207698 - 26/04/12 04:51 PM

Thanks guys. I know what you mean when you talk about applying pressure to stop or handle a fish. Its like when I use my SCOTT 4# for larger trout, very little authority. Stepping up to my 5# SAGE gives so much more. But then to my 6# GL4 and it almost feels too heavy.
Sounds like the 10# weight would be the better fish handler WITH the 9# giving a little less authority but easier to use all day long.
Mmmmmmm?

ozhunter
.400 member

#209143 - 27/05/12 11:43 AM

Have decided on a G Loomis standard "Cross Current" in 9# with a classic Aus made Haydon reel.

.375 member

#210674 - 11/06/12 10:47 AM

Ozhunter- good choice. Have you fished for bone fish? Did Kiribati a few years back, best fly fishing Ive ever done. Sort of ruined barra fishing. Looking forward to going back some day. Heres some pics Mick
Reels and flats kiribati
bone fish flies
first bone average fish
flats
bronze orange gotcha

ozhunter
.400 member

#210681 - 11/06/12 01:34 PM

Mick,
Just got back from some Trout fishing with my usual fly mate. He is mad for Kiribati and just got back about three weeks ago. This was his second trip there and he says I would just love it!

.375 member

#210699 - 11/06/12 05:14 PM

Ozhunter- it would be everything your mate, says and more...... I only targeted the bones, a saltwater 7wt would be perfect. For the bones. I used a 8wt sage RPLXI and it was a bit heavy on the smaller fish. My fly fishing was pretty rough compared to most of the trout guys. But seeing the fish was more important. We averaged around 90 fish for the week. The biggest I took was around 27 inches/ 8lb ( guide called it). Guides were very good, we ended up with two between three of us. Also took a few trevally with one good sized one on a small gotcha. Bigger one near spooled me on some of the big runs.
Others fished for giant trevally with 12 /13 wts and got some thumpers. A 80lb fish was caught by the crew before us.
There is great pelagic fishing off shore, and the yellow fin were taken by a research team whilst we were there.(july).
Fish had to be strip striked to hook them, if you lifted the tip to strike they spat the hook every time. Once hooked the runs from a small fish were unbeleivable. Even small fish taking you to the backing.
My best day was 33 fish and then moved on to find bigger fish. The largest fish taken was around 12lb.
We stayed at the captain cook hotel, old but clean and great food ( home style), lots of it.
Day started at around 5am breakfast then gear onto trucks or skiffs and onto the flats. Lunch was sandwiches we made ourselves. Usualy back by 17:00 wash gear shower and then happy hour at the beach bar. Dinner around 19:00. Ate mostly seafood, with one night mid week a pig on a spit and a large BBQ plate covered in cray tails. They couldnt understand why I didnt want pork.
The flies I tied were recomended by Tom Baxter from Alpine Angler and the guides liked my flies. I tied them spares and the guides didnt hack mine with scissors. The orange and bronze Gotchas in the pic above second row down on the right worked the best. The more damaged they got the better they worked. #2,4,6,8 all worked well, with the ankle deep water the smaller 8's work the best.
Spectacular flats and scenery, plenty of frigate birds , boobies , noddys , terns nesting sites etc
I prefered the road trips to going out in the skiffs to the pancake flats.
Also caught and ate land crabs and guides caught giant mantis shrimps. Around 12 inches long.
The guides prefered fish to eat were toadies or puffers, got them to show me how to clean them and remove the poison sack and blood vessels attached to it.... Didnt try it as its a long way to Hawaii for help.
We booked thru Tabori travel. Sydney to Nandi and then to Kiribati. Great experience. Cheers Mick
Happy hour on the beach
Dave and Iobu (guide)
Koreba Guide and truck
Bridge crossing
Stripped trevally

ozhunter
.400 member

#232267 - 09/07/13 07:16 PM

Hi Mick,
My Mate Danny is back over at Christmas island chasing those Bone-fish. He also caught Barra last October up at Tropical Safaris.

DarylS
.700 member

#232275 - 10/07/13 12:42 AM

Mick - I used bead-head flies almost exactly like the ones on the right of the picture - for Sockeye Salmon in the Babine River.

Nice bridge - NOT. Those timbers look like they've seen better days.

--------------------
Daryl

375Brno
.333 member

Reged: 18/10/05
Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Re: 9# or 10# weight fly kit for Barra and similar? [Re: DarylS]
      #233049 - 28/07/13 10:30 AM

Mick
Great photos and a good report. Channel 31 had a 30 minute episode fly fishing in Kiribati a couple of weeks ago. Looked like great sport with plenty of fish.
Did you just organise via one of the local operators?
Rick

Ozhunter
Which Hayden reel did you get.

.375 member

Re: 9# or 10# weight fly kit for Barra and similar? [Re: 375Brno]
      #233113 - 29/07/13 08:29 PM

Rick, we went with a organised group. With a NAME fly fisher. As guide helper!! Wouldn't go down that road again.
group was awesome lots of like minded people. We went in July to utilise the american off season and good tides. Neaps are the better tides to fish.
lots of fish with fish taken on every day. As we got the feel for it the numbers increased. Ended up fishing for larger fish.
Guides were good.
We booked with tobori travel. looked at going again the next year but airstrip was damaged. So held off. due for another trip....
Cheers Mick

ozhunter
.400 member

#233180 - 30/07/13 06:43 PM

Mick,
Did you catch any trigger fish?
My mate just got back and he is hooked on Trigger fish.

.375 member

#233185 - 30/07/13 07:28 PM

ozhunter, I hooked 2 on light tippet and got buried by both. Would be a dfferent fish to catch. Gear would have to be upgraded to heavier rods and tippets. How did your mate find the bones? cheers Mick

ozhunter
.400 member

#233190 - 30/07/13 07:56 PM

Yes, he likes chasing Bone fish (third time after them) BUT he is hooked with fishing those Trigger fish. They are similar to Leather Jackets and fight dirty going for holes and coral lumps to bust you off. They also smash hooks so only the strongest hooks will do. Danny hunted with Tropical safaris last October. I see you are affiliated with them?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3686

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com