Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Barella double rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifle Photos & Archive

Pages: 1
Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Barella double rifle
      #207561 - 23/04/12 07:46 AM

Here is a couple of fotos of old Barella double rifle. It has quite interesting history because it´s proprietary owner was a man named Ernst Edvard Rosengvist, birth 1869 in Helsinki and dead 1932 in Kuopio, both cities in Finland. He engaged in Finnish shooting team in 1912´s Stockholms Olympics. This team got bronze medal in one-shot team running target shooting match. The running (red-)deer target was shot at a range of 100m then. There were both event for firing a single shot per run and two shots per run, additionally individual and team contests.

So you can see the rifle has two pair of barrels; the original one and an another which were made later in Germany by E. Schmidt & Habermann. The original caliber was marked as 118,35 which is a gauge number like german makers use only for shotguns now, number of lead balls to the British pound. According to the 1893 German proof law it was used at the proofhouse for the bore diameter, not rifling or bullet diameter, of the barrel. Marked "118,35" means that a cylindrical plug of 8.64 mm passed the bore, but a "108,49" = 8.89 mm one did not. As these old gauge numbers were replaced by mm measurements in 1912, these barrels were proofed before 1912. These barrels were certainly the ones used by Mr. Rosenqvist in the 1912 olympics.
It seems that 7x57R case fits to these original barrels chamfer so the real caliber probably is 9x57R or 9,3x57R. The later made pairs caliber is 7x57R and the owner said that it shoots with light bullets quite well.

The stock what you can see in these pictures was made here in Finland about 15 years ago. The original was ruined because nowadays owners father was left handed person and he had converted the wooden parts quite too much.

It seems too that those sights in 7 mm barrel were made later by some local gunsmith here in Finland. In 9 mm barrel the most high one rear leaf was assisted later too.

I and the rifles owner want to thank mr Kuduae and mr Lancaster for help to solve the mystery of original barrels caliber markings.

(Those barrels in the first foto seems to bend but it´s only fotografers mistake)

Original barrels markings

...and it´s sights

7 mm barrels

...and the sights

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Edited by CptCurl (23/04/12 09:35 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Barella double rifle [Re: Igorrock]
      #207566 - 23/04/12 09:14 AM

Interesting rear sight on the gun. There are some old Hugo Barella guns still in use in India but the ones that I have seen are more conventional than this one. Very nice and interesting. Thanks for sharing these pictures.

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Igorrock
.400 member

Re: Barella double rifle [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #207580 - 23/04/12 02:12 PM

Thanks ! I think these sights correlate as present-day ghost ring which is quite reasonable when shootin running big animals.

--------------------

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #207583 - 23/04/12 04:07 PM

Barella's first name was not Hugo, but Heinrich Barella, Franzoesische Str. 24, Berlin, with branches in Frankfurt on Main, Magdeburg, Hanover and Soest, founded 1844, flopped 1932.

Igorrock
.400 member

Re: Barella double rifle [Re: kuduae]
      #207586 - 23/04/12 05:25 PM

One usefull link to those who want to know more details of Heinrich Barella:

http://www.damascus-barrels.com/German_Research/heinrich_barrella.html

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #207601 - 24/04/12 04:23 AM

iirc a nephew of Heinrich also with the name Barella had the business up into the 1920s. I have pics of him with an indian Maharadscha but must look for this.
its interesting that he also signed as K(aiserlicher) & K(öniglicher) Hoflieferant like Otto Bock on this scope here

Barella double guns, rifles and capeguns coming up from time to time but I never notice this before.
the chance is very high that the original barrels are in 9x57R. the 7x57R case will never fit into a 9,3x57R 360 chamber and the 9,3x57R exist till now only in old catalogs if we dont mention the swedish wildcat that was made some years ago from 8x57IRS brass with a 9,3x57 die set.
nothing wrong with the 9x57R must be a killer on running moose 100 years later.
here are 260 rounds like new FN/Norma ammo http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=3441804

did Finnland have an own and independent Olympia team before WW 1?
there is no other possiblity than everyone have used a double rifle to be able to fire two shots a run on the running deer target at the olympic games.

coincidental Widforss have a nice Barella Double rifle in 404 Jeffery in the next auction. first 404 double I ever see

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Edited by CptCurl (25/04/12 09:28 PM)

Igorrock
.400 member

Re: Barella double rifle [Re: lancaster]
      #207602 - 24/04/12 05:05 AM

Quote:

did Finnland have an own and independent Olympia team before WW 1?

"Finland competed at the 1912 Summer Olympics in Stockholm, Sweden. The Grand Duchy of Finland was part of the Russian Empire at the time, but Finland's results are kept separate from those of Russia. In opening ceremony Finlands team used as a national insignia flag of Swedish-speaking female gymnastics club of Helsinki."

Here is a link which tells some statistics about Finnish team in 1912 Stockholm:

http://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/countries/FIN/summer/1912/

--------------------

PerEH
.224 member

Reged: 11/01/12
Loc: Kristiansand, Norway
      #207625 - 24/04/12 11:16 PM

I read about the .404 Barella in Fredrik Frantzčn excellent book. It was a rare weapon n that chambering, regarding doubles. So think its a many more Barellas out there. That double there that was used in the Olympics was fascination, shooting was a big part of the Olympics in many years ,shame the London ones is a parody on them.

Igorrock
.400 member

Re: Barella double rifle [Re: PerEH]
      #207627 - 25/04/12 12:04 AM

Quote:

I read about the .404 Barella in Fredrik Frantzčn excellent book

I think you mean this book ? It´s very high-quality, especially the fotos. But it´s sadly outsold too.

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (25/04/12 09:28 PM)

lancaster
.470 member

#208106 - 07/05/12 03:55 AM

so I found them gentleman

Heinrich Barella was the gunmaker of the König von Preussen since 1860 and the quality of his guns was described as outstanding. he was a gunmaker of the old generation who make everthing allone including own barrels. when he die in 1893 his nephew August Barella( born in 1844) got the business.

the man on the left side here is Max Barella with an unknown indian maharadsha on the shooting range Berlin -Wannsee sometimes around 1925. I suspect that Max was the son of August maybe born around 1870. he looks like a man of 55 years I would say

its clear that this indian customer tried some Barella weapons there

also a roe deer hunt was organised for this gentleman

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (07/05/12 09:07 PM)

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #208108 - 07/05/12 05:34 AM

Thanks Lancaster!

Years ago there was a Barella bore-rifle going around that I was chasing, think it was a 16bore
Missed it, and it hasn't surfaced for sale since.
Nice stuff for sure.

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Igorrock
.400 member

Re: Barella double rifle [Re: tinker]
      #208110 - 07/05/12 05:42 AM

Thanks for those interesting pictures !

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

#208138 - 08/05/12 03:57 AM

is it clear now which chamber the original barrel set have?
if the rifle was mine I could not sleep before this question is answered.

--------------------

Igorrock
.400 member

#208149 - 08/05/12 02:02 PM

Quote:

is it clear now which chamber the original barrel set have?

I haven´t heard anything since the last time. It seems that shell is type x57 but bullets diameter is still under investigation.

--------------------

panther
.224 member

Reged: 02/03/10
Loc: british columbia, canada
      #211019 - 17/06/12 03:38 PM

The Maharaja in the photograph is H.H. Maharaja of Patiala Lt. Gen Bhupinder Singh. A very keen sportsman of his time and a great collector of fine hunting guns.

lancaster
.470 member

Re: Barella double rifle [Re: panther]
      #211073 - 18/06/12 03:34 PM

thank you very much for identify him

maharaja and sportsman as possible, dont think we will see such persons again:

Maharaja Bhupinder Singh, GCSI, GCIE, GCVO, GBE (Punjabi: ਭੁਪਿੰਦਰ ਸਿੰਘ; 12 October 1891, Patiala–23 March 1938, Patiala) was the ruling Maharaja of the princely state of Patiala from 1900 to 1938.
Contents
He was born at the Moti Bagh Palace, Patiala, and educated at Aitchison College. At age 9, he succeeded as maharaja of Patiala state upon death of his father, Maharaja Rajinder Singh, on 9 November 1900. A Council of Regency ruled in his name until he took partial powers shortly before his 18th birthday on 1 October 1909, and was invested with full powers by the Viceroy of India, the 4th Earl of Minto, on 3 November 1910.

He served on the General Staff in France, Belgium, Italy and Palestine in the First World War as an Honorary Lieutenant-Colonel, and was promoted Honorary Major-General in 1918 and Honorary Lieutenant-General in 1931. He represented India at the League of Nations in 1925, and was chancellor of the Indian Chamber of Princes for 10 years between 1926 and 1938, also being a representative at the Round Table Conference. He married 365 times, and had many children by his wives and concubines.

Maharaja Bhupinder Singh was the first man in India to own an aircraft, which he bought from the United Kingdom in the first decade of the twentieth century. For his aircraft he had an airstrip at Patiala built.

He was well known for the construction of buildings with bold architectural designs in Patiala, including Kali Temple, Patiala, and Chail View Palace in the summer retreat of Kandaghatalong with Chail Palace and Oak Over and Cedar Lodge in Shimla which now house the Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh and Punjab State Guest House respectively.[3] He was also known as a sportsman, and built the world's highest cricket pitch at 2443 m in 1893 at Chail.[citation needed] He was also known for an exceptional collection of medals, believed to be the world's largest at the time.[4] According to legend, Maharaja Bhupinder Singh would be driven in a motorcade of 20 Rolls Royce cars. He also got a unique monorail system built in Patiala known as Patiala State Monorail Trainways.

He is perhaps the most famous Maharaja of Patiala, best known for his extravagance, and for being a cricketer. His cricket and polo teams " Patiala XI " and " Patiala Tigers " were among the best of India. He was a great patron of sports.

Sir Bhupinder Singh founded the State Bank of Patiala in 1917.

He was captain of the Indian cricket team that visited England in 1911, and played in 27 first-class cricket matches between 1915 and 1937. For season of 1926/27, he played as member of Marylebone Cricket Club [2]. He donated the Ranji Trophy in honour of Kumar Shri Ranjitsinhji, Jam Sahib of Nawanagar. He was selected as the captain of India on its first Test tour of England in 1932, but dropped out on reasons of health two weeks before departure and the Maharaja of Porbandar took over. Cricket ground at Chail was made by Maharaja Patiala which is the highest cricket ground in the world. Most of the buildings of Chail Military School were donated by Maharaja of Patiala to Govt. of India.

He served as the Chancellor of Chamber of Princes from 1926 to 1931. He worked tirelessly for his subjects' betterment and introduced many social reforms in Patiala.

In 1930, Maharaja Bhupinder Singh felt slighted at the British Rolls Royce company’s refusal to accept an order from him for a new Rolls Royce car. Reacting to the refusal, the Maharaja ordered new Rolls Royce cars and put them to hauling garbage, dung and filth in Patiala city to the chagrin of the all-powerful Rolls Royce-loving Viceroy and the British ruling establishment who quickly prevailed upon the Rolls Royce Company to comply with the Maharaja’s wishes.

His elder son, Maharaja Yadavindra Singh and younger son Raja Bhalindra Singh played first-class cricket and later served as President of Indian Olympic Association. Yuvraj played in one Test for India, in 1934.

Yuvraj Yadavindra Singh became the Maharaja on 23 March 1938. He was to be the first Maharaja, agreeing to the incorporation of Patiala into the newly independent India on 5 May 1948, becoming Rajpramukh of the new Indian state of Patiala and East Punjab States Union.

His Highness' grandson Captain Amarinder Singh is a politician in India, and served as Chief Minister of Punjab from 2002 to 2007.
Personal life

Bhupinder Singh was born in a Sikh family and married at least 10 times and had numerous consorts besides. From those unions, he sired an estimated 88 children of whom at least 53 survived him.[citation needed] He was the proud owner of the world famous necklace "The Patiala Necklace" manufactured by the famous brand Cartier SA. His wife Maharani Bakhtawar Kaur presented Queen Mary a magnificent tiara called Delhi Durbar Tiara in the Delhi Durbar of 1911 to mark the first visit to India by any Queen Empress.

On 23 March 1938 His Highness "drifted out of the harbour on a silent tide"
Wives and Consorts

1. Her Highness Maharani Sri Bakhtawar Kaur Sahiba (1892–1960). Daughter of Sardar Gurnam Singh, Sardar Bahadur of Sangrur, OBI. Married Bhupinder Singh 1908.

Of the 10 wives (as opposed to the numerous concubines) the most notable were the 4 princesses from a Himalayan Kingdom who were sisters and were said to be his favourite Ranis. It was Bakhtawar Kaur Sahiba, however, who took part in the official ceremonies as the Maharani.

There are many interesting tales, told by the courtiers at the time, of the fierce rivalry for the affection of the Maharaja and of the way the Maharaja used his considerable diplomatic abilities in order to keep them all happy and content.

One such story relates to the legend of the Patiala Watch. The old Maharaja had purchased a beautiful Gold Pocket Watch with Moon Phase at the time of the Delhi Durbar of 1911, for Maharani Bakhtawar Kaur. It is said that as a result there was a lot of discord in the Palace specially from the four Rani Sisters. In order to placate the four Rani Sisters, the Maharaja ordered four unique Gold Pocket watches, with very ornate and beautiful Gold cases in 22 carat Gold and added features of a day and month calender as well as the phases of the moon, to be grander than the Maharani's watch. The Maharaja used the services of a Swiss based jeweller called F.Russer who was a jeweller to several members of the Royal family of Kapurthala.
Titles

1891-1900: Sri Yuvaraja Sahib Bhupinder Singhji
1900-1911: His Highness Farzand-i-Khas-i-Daulat-i-Inglishia, Mansur-i-Zaman, Amir ul-Umara, Maharajadhiraja Raj Rajeshwar, 108 Sri Maharaja-i-Rajgan, Maharaja Bhupinder Singh, Mahendra Bahadur, Yadu Vansha Vatans Bhatti Kul Bushan, Maharaja of Patiala
1911-1914: His Highness Farzand-i-Khas-i-Daulat-i-Inglishia, Mansur-i-Zaman, Amir ul-Umara, Maharajadhiraja Raj Rajeshwar, 108 Sri Maharaja-i-Rajgan, Maharaja Sir Bhupinder Singh, Mahendra Bahadur, Yadu Vansha Vatans Bhatti Kul Bushan, Maharaja of Patiala, GCIE
1914-1918: Lieutenant-Colonel His Highness Farzand-i-Khas-i-Daulat-i-Inglishia, Mansur-i-Zaman, Amir ul-Umara, Maharajadhiraja Raj Rajeshwar, 108 Sri Maharaja-i-Rajgan, Maharaja Sir Bhupinder Singh, Mahendra Bahadur, Yadu Vansha Vatans Bhatti Kul Bushan, Maharaja of Patiala, GCIE
1918-1921: Major-General His Highness Farzand-i-Khas-i-Daulat-i-Inglishia, Mansur-i-Zaman, Amir ul-Umara, Maharajadhiraja Raj Rajeshwar, 108 Sri Maharaja-i-Rajgan, Maharaja Sir Bhupinder Singh, Mahendra Bahadur, Yadu Vansha Vatans Bhatti Kul Bushan, Maharaja of Patiala, GCIE, GBE
1921-1922: Major-General His Highness Farzand-i-Khas-i-Daulat-i-Inglishia, Mansur-i-Zaman, Amir ul-Umara, Maharajadhiraja Raj Rajeshwar, 108 Sri Maharaja-i-Rajgan, Maharaja Sir Bhupinder Singh, Mahendra Bahadur, Yadu Vansha Vatans Bhatti Kul Bushan, Maharaja of Patiala, GCSI, GCIE, GBE
1922-1931: Major-General His Highness Farzand-i-Khas-i-Daulat-i-Inglishia, Mansur-i-Zaman, Amir ul-Umara, Maharajadhiraja Raj Rajeshwar, 108 Sri Maharaja-i-Rajgan, Maharaja Sir Bhupinder Singh, Mahendra Bahadur, Yadu Vansha Vatans Bhatti Kul Bushan, Maharaja of Patiala, GCSI, GCIE, GCVO, GBE
1931-1935: Lieutenant-General His Highness Farzand-i-Khas-i-Daulat-i-Inglishia, Mansur-i-Zaman, Amir ul-Umara, Maharajadhiraja Raj Rajeshwar, 108 Sri Maharaja-i-Rajgan, Maharaja Sir Bhupinder Singh, Mahendra Bahadur, Yadu Vansha Vatans Bhatti Kul Bushan, Maharaja of Patiala, GCSI, GCIE, GCVO, GBE
1935-1938: Lieutenant-General His Highness Farzand-i-Khas-i-Daulat-i-Inglishia, Mansur-i-Zaman, Amir ul-Umara, Maharajadhiraja Raj Rajeshwar, 108 Sri Maharaja-i-Rajgan, Maharaja Sir Bhupinder Singh, Mahendra Bahadur, Yadu Vansha Vatans Bhatti Kul Bushan, Maharaja of Patiala, GCSI, GCIE, GCVO, GBE, GCSG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhupinder_Singh_of_Patiala

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17315

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com