Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Greener E17 Double Rifle again

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifle Photos & Archive

Pages: 1
.224 member

Reged: 21/01/09
Loc: Australia, Perth
Greener E17 Double Rifle again
      #164551 - 19/07/10 09:50 PM

Been toying with the idea of a double rifle on a Greener, although just thoughts at the moment. I think I have just about read all there is to read on this subject but I have a few questions for those who know. What if any full Nitro cartridges are suitable for this action? I was thinking 450/400 but I dont know what pressures this cartridge produces or what the action can handle. The .577 BPE sounds so much of a good thing, and would be a great buzz to play with. But with the Fat Lady having so short barrel lengths would you still achieve full powder burn? And would it be sensible to maybe add an inch or two of length, or would this be going to far and losing pointability? (Is that a word?) Lastly is there anybody in Australia that is willing and more to the point able to make a set of barrels for a Greener double rifle.
This is not something I would look at tomorrow, as I have too many fingers in too many pies right now. my Brno 602 is getting it's barrel and sights fitted at the moment (.404). And I can't wait to get it back so I can finish the stock on it. And I have just bought a nice semi-inletted stock for a 98 Mauser which I want to build into a .338WM as I just love this round and what it can do, I have one already but want another (is that wrong?).

Cheers,
Bill

Edited by 010166 (19/07/10 10:08 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Greener E17 Double Rifle again [Re: 010166]
      #164554 - 19/07/10 10:23 PM

Quote:

Been toying with the idea of a double rifle on a Greener, although just thoughts at the moment.

Quote:

I think I have just about read all there is to read on this subject but I have a few questions for those who know. What if any full Nitro cartridges are suitable for this action? I was thinking 450/400 but I dont know what pressures this cartridge produces or what the action can handle.

I think a .577 was chosen because of the overall size of the action of the Greener Empire action.

Quote:

The .577 BPE sounds so much of a good thing, and would be a great buzz to play with. But with the Fat Lady having so short barrel lengths would you still achieve full powder burn? And would it be sensible to maybe add an inch or two of length, or would this be going to far and losing pointability?

From what Marrakai said, I think the barrels would be better longer. If I remember rightly he had no idea why the barrels were so short. The rifle was purchased as is, not commissioned by him.

Quote:

(Is that a word?) Lastly is there anybody in Australia that is willing and more to the point able to make a set of barrels for a Greener double rifle.

If you find a good gunsmith willing to do it, please PM me the name.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3543

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com