Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Scope features needed if new DG scope was developed?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Kano
.300 member

Reged: 09/07/03
Loc: East Africa
Scope features needed if new DG scope was developed?
      19/08/07 03:01 PM

Gentlemen,

I tried to post the following on AR, but except for a couple of replies from people who actually read the question, all I got were recommendations on which scope around is the best, and why I shouldn't bother asking...

Positing that at the moment there is no true all-round big/DG game scope in the market (please read below), that it is possible to develop one, that development costs money, that whoever puts the money up wants to end up with something useful and at least get his money back,

Can someone be kind enough to give constructive and enlightened comments and answers to the following post?

Looking for a DG scope, one comes to the conclusion that there is no such critter. Some are good approximates, but – as far as I'm concerned – all fall short in one respect or the other.

On bolt actions, some existing scopes come very close to be "it", but on doubles they all have the serious drawback of being in the way when you need to reload fast.

So-called Scout scopes, designed to be mounted forward of the action, have a magnification of 2-2.5 and for most people are unsuitable for truly aiming with both eyes open.

I have drawn a list of what would be a real DG scope the way I understand it (some features like waterproof, optical quality, etc. are taken for granted as high-end manufacturers do incorporate these anyway):

- Magnification, from true 1 to 4 (or 6 as Swaro is making now): The scope can then really be used for fast sighting with both eyes open.

- Eye relief, 200 to 220mm: The scope can be mounted forward of the action on bolt actions, and forward of the breech on doubles: it won't interfere with reloading, especially on doubles.

- Ocular external diameter, 35-36mm max (like the Nickel Magnum): The scope can be mounted as close to the iron sights line as possible (in an ideal world, scope and irons should be on the same line of sight...)

- Objective external diameter, straight tube (1" or 30mm)

- Illuminated Flash Dot (if it works it's there to help, if it does not work you still have a good scope)

- Reticle plane, I'd favour 1st plane as this is a simpler and sturdier internal set-up.

If such a scope should be developed by a top-notch manufacturer, specifically for DG, then:

- Are the features I listed going in the right direction?

- Are there other essential features that should be incorporated?

I'm asking because the development of such a scope is a possibility, and preliminary info is needed for assessment.

The idea would be to have a scope that you could leave on in 99% of the circumstances, unless it's been trampled by a four-footed or four-wheeled creature.

It should be good for taking a duiker at 150m+, and facing an unexpected charge from 10m (I'm saying "unexpected", knowingly following a wounded beast in the thick is not on the agenda).

It should be as close as possible to the iron sights line, and it should not be in the way if you need to reload a double or a bolt action in haste.

It should be fine for warthog pickin' in the day, and leopard at night, and going back to camp on foot at dusk in lion country.

In short, I'd like to define the features that would make a scope 1st natural choice anytime someone asks "What scope do I want to take on my African hunt?".

Thanks!

Philip

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Scope features needed if new DG scope was developed? Kano 19/08/07 03:01 PM
. * * Re: Scope features needed if new DG scope was developed? xausa   20/08/07 03:36 AM
. * * Re: Scope features needed if new DG scope was developed? Tatume   20/08/07 06:14 AM
. * * Re: Scope features needed if new DG scope was developed? NE450No2   20/08/07 02:30 PM
. * * Re: Scope features needed if new DG scope was developed? vigillinus   25/08/07 11:19 AM
. * * Re: Scope features needed if new DG scope was developed? vigillinus   26/08/07 10:14 AM
. * * Re: Scope features needed if new DG scope was developed? Tatume   19/08/07 10:08 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 96 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2730

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com