Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Magnum-style cartridges in doubles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Zapata
.224 member

Reged: 20/01/04
Magnum-style cartridges in doubles
      02/03/04 09:49 AM

Hey, Y'all

Keep in mind, this from a DR-uneducated redneck, but I feel I need to question everyone's opinion on the use of H&H-style cases in doubles. It seems to me that a properly constructed spring type extractor such as is used in the Ruger #1 single shot were applied to the DR, and as long as nearly straight-walled cases were used, (.458 WM, .458 Lott, .458x3" Express,etc) were used, and the best load accuracy-wise was used, rather than the most vicious, was used to regulate the arm in the first place, then the arm would surely be as trust-worthy as the various rimmed choices, and a whole lot cheaper to feed!!! This tirade is purposely pointed away from the myriad bottle-necked cases that use the belted configuration, since most of these are loaded to too high an intensity level to fit into my picture, and the fact that these cases are harder to extract than the slow taper of a so-called straight-walled case.

I'm currently planning to build my first double-rifle, using one of the stronger side-lock or box-lock American 12-bore actions as the base. I intend to chamber this arm for something like the 45-120, 450#2, 50-140, or the like, but have thought long and hard about the .458x3" Express, simply for the fact that a fellow should be able to come upon an easily regulated load with a 500-grainer at around 2200 f.p.s. in a very low pressure load, due to the extra case capaccity.

Please, won't someone put me out of my misery on this subject, so I can get on down the road with this project, for cripe sakes!!!!

"When in Doubt, Use More Gun!!!

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Magnum-style cartridges in doubles Zapata 02/03/04 09:49 AM
. * * Re: Magnum-style cartridges in doubles DUGABOY1   02/03/04 11:30 AM
. * * Re: Magnum-style cartridges in doubles luv2safari   03/03/04 08:47 AM
. * * Re: Magnum-style cartridges in doubles DUGABOY1   04/03/04 04:37 AM
. * * Re: Magnum-style cartridges in doubles Rusty   03/03/04 08:54 AM
. * * Re: Magnum-style cartridges in doubles atkinson6   03/03/04 03:38 AM
. * * Re: Magnum-style cartridges in doubles Rusty   02/03/04 11:04 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 366 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 3112

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com