Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Double rifle sacrilege

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Double rifle sacrilege
      24/06/23 03:56 AM

While writing the double rifle theory thread I wondered about an uncomfortable premise.

As we all know under and over shotguns have pretty much replaced side by sides for most clay target shotgun shooting. Many users shooting fantastic scores think the U/O is better.

As my clay target scores crashed I succumbed to the U/O pandemic. I stopped being the only person using a side by side. And started using my sole U/O shotgun, the barrels for my Tikka/Valmet gun system.

My last clay shoot was back to my old reasonable average score. Not flash but wow in our clubs too ten shooters. We won the "cup"! I won't embarrass myself with revealing the not flash score. Lots of improvement possible.

Now to double rifles.

The theory of recoil with a side by side rifle, in big bores recoil greater than a 12-bore by a considerable margin is that the left barrel with recoil up and to the left somewhat. The right barrel up and a bit to the right. The bullet might travel in the bore for a split second under recoil with the upwards and lateral movement. Regulation by trial and error compensates for this. If necessary.

Now what about under and over double rifles. Is the lateral variations absent? Does the upper barrel recoil upwards with little lateral recoil movement? And the lower barrel recoil also upwards but lesser than the upper barrel? Less variation might mean less regulation "adjustment"? And potentially greater accuracy? With a U/O rifle compared to a side by side rifle? Any time a bullet spends in the barre during recoil or not is a relevant factor.

Also with medium bores the recoil is far lesser. Leading to potentially better accuracy compared to a big bore.

Thoughts and comments?

I remember as a newbie a long time ago reading how a .45/70 single barrel rifle would shoot a slower bullet higher than the same bullet at a higher velocity. The factor being the bullet was slightly longer in the barrel during recoil and more muzzle recoil lift.

This same factor might affect say a .450 NE. And other similar cartridges. With the barrel recoil movement as described above.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Double rifle sacrilege NitroXAdministrator 24/06/23 03:56 AM
. * * Re: Double rifle sacrilege eagle27   24/06/23 09:37 AM
. * * Re: Double rifle sacrilege Yochanan   27/06/23 09:16 AM
. * * Re: Double rifle sacrilege HeymSR20   25/06/23 09:50 PM
. * * Re: Double rifle sacrilege HeymSR20   26/06/23 09:16 AM
. * * Re: Double rifle sacrilege eagle27   26/06/23 02:28 PM
. * * Re: Double rifle sacrilege NitroXAdministrator   26/06/23 06:11 PM
. * * Re: Double rifle sacrilege NitroXAdministrator   26/06/23 07:06 PM
. * * Re: Double rifle sacrilege NitroXAdministrator   26/06/23 07:14 PM
. * * Re: Double rifle sacrilege HeymSR20   27/06/23 02:17 AM
. * * Re: Double rifle sacrilege Yochanan   27/06/23 09:11 AM
. * * Re: Double rifle sacrilege 85lc   27/06/23 07:18 AM

Extra information
1 registered and 206 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1879

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com