Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Bye Bye Bolt Guns

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Bye Bye Bolt Guns
      #13131 - 06/04/04 07:57 PM

Back in 2000 I made a decision to try and continue my shooting by using double rifles only, and to gradually sell off my bolt action rifles.
Well I'm as close to the point of no return as I've ever been!
I've been doing 90% of my shooting with double rifles for the last 10 years and the bolt guns have only been getting used occassionally.
Last years dry season I relented and took a boltgun as backup rifle but that gun has been sold and I now only have 3 bolt gun centerfires left!
One of these will go to a gunshop for selling next week and the other two will be kept mainly for client use.
Both the "keepers" are 30 cal.
I've just bought another double which I'd been trying to track down for about 10 years or so and now that I have it I have doubles in suitable calibers to handle all my shooting needs, I hope!
Now there is nothing wrong with boltguns IMO!
It's just that I've had the double rifle pox for over 20 years, and I've done quite a lot of shooting with bolt guns over the years so now that I have some good hunting double rifles I intend to get as much use out of them as possible!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Bye Bye Bolt Guns [Re: 4seventy]
      #13159 - 07/04/04 08:19 AM

Switching over to doubles only would not be practical for me. 2 years ago I took a deer at 475 yards. Last year I took a buck at 325 yards and a doe at 350 yards.

But I also shot an elk at 50 yards - should have had a double that day.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #13171 - 07/04/04 11:13 AM

I do most of my shooting with Doubles too. Except for a saddle rifle and 4 beloved bolts (soon to be five with my 275HV coming this weekend) I use nothing but doubles. Probably 80% of the time. It is really not that difficult to get used to shooting under 250 yards.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Bye Bye Bolt Guns [Re: mickey]
      #13175 - 07/04/04 12:10 PM

Working as a hunting guide means my rifles get transported alot and they do tend to get a fairly hard life.
My main back up rifle lives in a soft gunbag in the open hunting vehicle and it gets bounced around for months at a time.
I always need to have a backup firearm in the vehicle so whichever gun is used I know it will come home with less blue and more scratches and marks.
Hunting clients are much more able to nurse their rifles as they can hang on to them while out hunting but as I'm doing all the driving my rifles end up spending a lot of time under the rear seat.
Even a very basic double costs a hell of a lot more than a basic bolt gun so it is always a bit of a worry when a double is subjected to such a hard life.
I don't have any problem with using a double rifle enough that it starts to wear out but I don't really like knocking them about unnecessarily.

Also many doubles are a real pain to strip down if they get rained on heavily and need to be dried out and oiled.
During guided hunting trips I am flat out all the time and it is very hard to spend much time servicing rifles.
A bolt rifle is usually much easier and less time consuming to strip, clean and oil than a double.
Anyway I have found a way of overcoming these issues and am looking forward to giving total commitment to my doubles!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #13176 - 07/04/04 12:24 PM

Have you told us about your new double or are you going to continue torturing us?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

**DONOTDELETE**

#13186 - 07/04/04 04:03 PM

If I had a keen interest in double rifles then I would use them for everything.

I would much rather use something I am interested in but which might be considered as less than suitable for the task at hand than use something I am not interested in but which is considered very suitable for the task at hand.

The conclusion I came to a few years ago was that the results do not change much irrespective of what you use but the best results come from using what you like.

Mike

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #13191 - 07/04/04 11:16 PM

4seventy:
I too am in full agreement with your choice for hunting. I have used bolt-rifles for hunting only when buffalo are definitely off-limits, and then it is usually my lovely little 6.5 Mannlicher-Schoenauer which gets the nod. I would say that over 95% of my hunting has been with SxS doubles for many years now.

How could any serious hunter reach past a double to grab a bolt-gun from the safe? Unthinkable!!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

RLI
.375 member

Reged: 01/10/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Bye Bye Bolt Guns [Re: Marrakai]
      #13251 - 09/04/04 06:57 PM

Any bolt guns for sale?

RLI

--------------------
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." — John Wayne

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2861

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com