Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Lead cast bullets in a Merkel 141 ae in 9.3x74R?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
carpediem4570
.300 member

Reged: 28/06/08
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Lead cast bullets in a Merkel 141 ae in 9.3x74R?
      #384996 - 28/05/24 09:11 AM

Good Day ladies and gentlemen:

With the price of reloading components skyrocketing, I’m looking at going back to casting bullets for some of my rifles.

In particular, I am interested in knowing if anyone here shoots lead cast bullets out of a Merkel 141ae in 9.3x74R and, more generally, in any other dr.

What type of bullet do you use, what diameter do you size to, do you paper patch, gas check or, use a plain base, do you powder coat?

I’ve been looking at ordering a mold for quite some time but want more info before I pull the trigger, pun intended.

I am planning on using the bullet mostly for range time but, if I can get velocity, I’d use it for hunting white tail deer and moose in northern Alberta.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Max

--------------------
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-Chrdonnay in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: Lead cast bullets in a Merkel 141 ae in 9.3x74R? [Re: carpediem4570]
      #384998 - 28/05/24 10:21 AM

Not Merkels, but in all my various calibre doubles (even Nitro Express) I use cast bullets on most occasions. The price and availability of jacketed bullets makes cast a real alternative.
My thoughts:
1) Cast bullet at or close to proper regulating weight
2) cast and sized ~.001” over groove-groove diameter
3) Nitro guns I use “Lyman #2 alloy”
4) Gas check for sure
5) for Nitro velocities use “LBT Blue Lube” if you can get it.

No idea about powder coating, have never tried it, but hear good things.

- Mike

--------------------
"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

carpediem4570
.300 member

Re: Lead cast bullets in a Merkel 141 ae in 9.3x74R? [Re: 3DogMike]
      #384999 - 28/05/24 10:53 AM

Hello 3dogmike.That is the way I do it for all my other guns. This is my first attempt at shooting lead cast in a dr. A thought came to me reading some other posts: I forgot about rate of twist. This will be the way to select the best bullet weight, I believe.

Thoughts, suggestions, comments please.

Kind regards,

Max

--------------------
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-Chrdonnay in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
      #385000 - 28/05/24 11:35 AM

Hi Max,
I would not over think it, a DR is still a rifle, just two single shots SxS…..

Match cast bullet weight with whatever weight jacketed bullet regulates, and if you use proper alloy, a gas check, and premium lube then the bullets WILL stand up to standard velocities like the 9.3x74R. You will still have to experiment with the rifle and bullets preferred powder……
I have a 9.3x74, and a famous name vintage London .470, that shoot cast just as well as standard level factory loads.

- Mike

--------------------
"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

carpediem4570
.300 member

Re: Lead cast bullets in a Merkel 141 ae in 9.3x74R? [Re: 3DogMike]
      #385001 - 28/05/24 12:08 PM

3dogmike:

What cast bullets do you use?

Kind regards,

Max

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #385009 - 29/05/24 02:15 AM

Way back when, I used 275gr. G/C cast bullets from an RCBS mould in my BRNO, driven to 2,700fps. and achieved 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards. The lube was LBT Blue Lube. These bullets were standard 12 Brinel WW, which were hardened to approx. 30 Brinel. I have also driven 12 Brinel .45cal G/C bullets (not hardened further) to 2,200fps, using 60%BW 40%Vaseline for lube and achieved 1" accuracy at 100 meters and no leading.
I think that with a good modern lube, normal 16 Brinel (Lyman#2alloy) bullets in .366" should be able to handle 2,250fps. 10:1lead/tin is also 16 Brinel, seems to me.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

carpediem4570
.300 member

Re: Lead cast bullets in a Merkel 141 ae in 9.3x74R? [Re: DarylS]
      #385010 - 29/05/24 05:32 AM

Thank you for your nsight Daryl.

Did you ever use that 275 grain bullet for hunting? If so, did you find it effective?

Kind regards,

Max
From Alberta

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #385011 - 29/05/24 07:32 AM

No, Max, I didn't. I shot the rifle only at the range, then sold it to a guy who hunted Vancouver Island's little deer as well as black bear. He preferred 3 year olds for the pot.
When buying the rifle, he asked me what load to use and I told him, 270gr. WW Power Points and 74gr. IMR 4064.
A few seasons later I asked him to sell me the rifle back and he laughed, saying" all of my hunting buddies have tried to buy it as well. "They first told me it would cut a deer into 2 pieces, but just like you said, I was able to eat right down to the hole. They were amazed. It just pencilled straight through. No meat damaged. I've never even thought of putting the .358 barrel on it."

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 150 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 456

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com