Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Continental D/R's with Damascus barrels??

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
m4220
.300 member

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: wa
Continental D/R's with Damascus barrels??
      #223461 - 12/01/13 12:58 PM

Looking for info on how prevalent the use of damascus steel rifle barrels was on upper rung German double rifles and some of the makers that used them 1850-1880s? I have several from Heinrich Scherping from Hannover in this time period with 3 of them Damascus & 2 fluid steel. Were the Damascus rifle barrels superior in the large BP cartridges prior to the customer base gaining confidence in the new Fluid steels or was the switch driven by cost reduction? Info & thoughts appreciated.

m4220

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
Re: Continental D/R's with Damascus barrels?? [Re: m4220]
      #223472 - 12/01/13 03:28 PM

I am not sure on double rifles or the German market/industry, but, according to a couple of authors I've read both the French gun buying public and French gun makers seemed to move faster away from Damascus and towards fluid steel in the late 19th century than their counterparts in the US or UK.

I'll add that while my view is not definitive, I do tend to see far less damascus shotguns in France than I do in the US and I am always looking for SxS guys in shops.

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

Edited by Chasseur (12/01/13 03:30 PM)

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Continental D/R's with Damascus barrels?? [Re: Chasseur]
      #223494 - 13/01/13 04:15 AM

Quote:

I am not sure on double rifles or the German market/industry, but, according to a couple of authors I've read both the French gun buying public and French gun makers seemed to move faster away from Damascus and towards fluid steel in the late 19th century than their counterparts in the US or UK.

I'll add that while my view is not definitive, I do tend to see far less damascus shotguns in France than I do in the US and I am always looking for SxS guys in shops.

IMO, around the turn of the 19th to the 20th century it seemed that there were several new things pertaining to fire arms after a long period of them being built in ways that caused shooters reluctant to change! Damascus barrels was one of those things folks were reluctant to accept being changed. However, in the US by the late 1930s people were shying away from Damascus barreled firearms especially shotguns, and were considered only an old black powder throw backs!

I have some black powder doubles, both shotguns and double rifles and cape guns but all are from the black powder era, and are shot only with black powder.

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

m4220
.300 member

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: wa
Re: Continental D/R's with Damascus barrels?? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #223498 - 13/01/13 04:41 AM

Mac,
Agreed, can you provide the name from the rib for any of these BP Rifled barreled guns with Damascus barrels? That is the type of info that I am trying to capture. Appreciated.

m4220

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Continental D/R's with Damascus barrels?? [Re: m4220]
      #223504 - 13/01/13 05:44 AM

Quote:

Mac,
Agreed, can you provide the name from the rib for any of these BP Rifled barreled guns with Damascus barrels? That is the type of info that I am trying to capture. Appreciated.

m4220

I have a double rifle chambered for 58 Berdan musket, and a cape gun chambered for short 20ga on the left barrel, and 58 Carbine on the right barrel made by V. Haffner made in Cassel, Germany (German ) black powder Damascus back action hammer locks, with Jones under levers. The other three have no name on them, but all are German or Austrian in origin!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 127 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2758

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com